Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gary86

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2012
Has anyone used the SSD upgrade kit for the 2012 Mini? I'm looking to do this upgrade and add 120GB. Is there a better kit out there?

largebauce

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2012
I didn't purchase an SSD from owc but I did buy the data doubler kit. Just installed the second drive this weekend with no issues.

Gary86

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2012
Their kit isn't bad priced either. 150 for everything. How do you decide what info is saved where? I know I could install them but not good with the formatting and start up drive stuff, etc

ndriver182

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
I ordered one from them and will be installing it later this week when my mini shows up. I've done this upgrade a couple times before, but used the iFixit kit. Looks to me that the OWC kit is the same as iFixit except that the tool kit included isn't quite as big (I didn't care about this since I still had the kit from previous installs). The OWC kit was less money so I went with that this time. I could almost do this install in my sleep by now. One thing that was kind of cool about the OWC kit is that it included color print instructions, which might be nice for some people.

Gary86

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2012
I ordered one from them and will be installing it later this week when my mini shows up. I've done this upgrade a couple times before, but used the iFixit kit. Looks to me that the OWC kit is the same as iFixit except that the tool kit included isn't quite as big (I didn't care about this since I still had the kit from previous installs). The OWC kit was less money so I went with that this time. I could almost do this install in my sleep by now. One thing that was kind of cool about the OWC kit is that it included color print instructions, which might be nice for some people.

I'm usually good with the install type of stuff. Just gotta figure out how to make the SSD the boot drive and should I install this before using the migration assistant? I'm coming from a MacBook Air. Well keeping the air and using the air backup on the Mini. Although I might just copy my iTunes, iPhoto, and few finder folders to an external HD and bring them over.

ndriver182

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
If you're migrating from the Air, I'd just go ahead and do the SSD update to the mini straight out of the box. Why wait? Once you put the SSD in, you will want to boot the mini into the Internet recovery option so you can install ML onto the new SSD. You should also be able to select the new SSD as the primary boot drive within Disk Utility when you start up the Internet recovery option.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
I'm usually good with the install type of stuff. Just gotta figure out how to make the SSD the boot drive and should I install this before using the migration assistant? I'm coming from a MacBook Air. Well keeping the air and using the air backup on the Mini. Although I might just copy my iTunes, iPhoto, and few finder folders to an external HD and bring them over.

As ndriver182 says, just hit Command-R when you are booting to get into internet recovery. From there you can go into disk utility to format your SSD and install the OS on it. I formatted the HDD while I was in there so I didn't need to mess around with which drive would be the boot drive. My mini was brand new. I opened it, booted it up to make sure everything was ok with it, then took it apart to put in the SSD. So there was nothing on the HDD to save.

I had all my data on external drives so I just moved things manually.

donlab

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2004
USA
Has anyone used the SSD upgrade kit for the 2012 Mini? I'm looking to do this upgrade and add 120GB. Is there a better kit out there?

Yep, I did. Just upgraded the mini over the weekend with the data doubler kit and 120GB mercury electra SATA III SSD drive. I followed the installation video on OWC's site without issue.

I created a fusion drive which was painful to setup, but now it screams.

Last edited:

baller1308

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2009
ifixit has a kit also, but is $10 more. You'll get a better toolset and the price comes out to be almost the same depending on shipping and coupons. I wanted my order to arrive before Christmas, so I went with ifixit's kit. Both are pretty much the same and will accomplish the same thing also.

Gary86

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2012
Well the migration seems to be going smooth. I'll have to wait to buy the SSD kit later. Just bought the mini, 2 monitors, and the 16gb RAM. We just had our second child so I'll wait another month or so.

donlab

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2004
USA
Well the migration seems to be going smooth. I'll have to wait to buy the SSD kit later. Just bought the mini, 2 monitors, and the 16gb RAM. We just had our second child so I'll wait another month or so.

I know what you're going through, we just had our first child. I setup the mini in between the nightly 3 hour feedings. So I think the fusion drive setup in hindsight would have been easier if I had a night sleep

Gary86

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2012
I know what you're going through, we just had our first child. I setup the mini in between the nightly 3 hour feedings. So I think the fusion drive setup in hindsight would have been easier if I had a night sleep

I wish it was 3hr feedings. He has bad colic. Screaming fits for 3-5hrs straight. But he's worth it.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I wish it was 3hr feedings. He has bad colic. Screaming fits for 3-5hrs straight. But he's worth it.

Completely off topic, but our Daughter had colic. It would start every night around 5:30 and run until about 9:00 or so. We found the only way to get her to go to sleep was to go for half hour car rides at highway speeds or better... We burned thru so much gas for about 2 months....

EDIT: and we would loop the hour long car cabin white noise from this white noise in her room all night so she didn't wake up: http://babysleepnoise.com/download.html (I have no affiliation with this website at all, just what worked for us)

Gary86

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2012
Completely off topic, but our Daughter had colic. It would start every night around 5:30 and run until about 9:00 or so. We found the only way to get her to go to sleep was to go for half hour car rides at highway speeds or better... We burned thru so much gas for about 2 months....

EDIT: and we would loop the hour long car cabin white noise from this white noise in her room all night so she didn't wake up: http://babysleepnoise.com/download.html (I have no affiliation with this website at all, just what worked for us)

Lol. We got him this baby incline sleeper which works wonders during the day and hit or miss at night. Only thing that works for him is slow bouncing and playing "baby praise" Christian music...it is pretty soothing. We both passed out earlier.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
Lots of babies. We just had our 3rd on Dec 8th. 3, 2 and the nb. I don't know how you guys do it with colic. Ours just chirps and grunts a lot at night and leaves me with broken sleep, but still sleep. Best wishes!

AC Rempt

Contributor
Feb 24, 2008
guys, this is that iFixit kit for mac mini 2011/2012?

http://www.ifixit.com/Apple-Parts/Mac-Mini-Dual-Hard-Drive-Kit/IF171-005

I plan to buy mini 2011 or 2012 (stil cant decite between ati and intel 4000) and add own SSD - is this kit all I need (except SSD, of course)?

thx.

Wow, this looks like a much better deal than the OWC kit. The driver set alone is a real step up. That said, I went with the OWC kit (hadn't looked at the iFixit kit), and everything worked just fine.

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
Wow, this looks like a much better deal than the OWC kit. The driver set alone is a real step up. That said, I went with the OWC kit (hadn't looked at the iFixit kit), and everything worked just fine.

Heh but i will choose owc, ifixit kit seems superb but delivery fees to europe are 50 usd whereas owc asks only for 14 usd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.