Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
Good.

& that really sucks about Battle Dungeon being shut down because of people pirating the game. I'm sure a ton of legitimate buyers of the app were upset when they couldn't play it anymore.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
It's good to see Rumors has embraced the pirate community with this noteworthy front page story.

Criminals are people too.

dare69

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2011
England.
Others will fill the gap left, but for the first time, I'm starting to believe that the pirates are losing the battle. Here in the UK many newsgroup indexing sites and torrent sites are either closed down or are legally blocked by ISP's.

gregwyattjr

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2008
C'mon guys. When you're at work you expect to be compensated for your time, right? Well so do developers who take big risks when creating apps. Please pay the small fee required to keep these great developers employed and creating awesome new apps.

JawnVawka

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2012
The only reason for me to jailbreak is to be able to play emulators on my phone. Other than that I don't need a jailbreak. I buy my apps

Daalseth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Originally Posted by GeekLawyer :
Good riddance. Jailbreaking shouldn't be about pirating.
Its not. The issue is solely in the minds of those that associate Jailbreaking with Piracy.
I believe that's what GeekLawyer was saying. Jailbreaking is one thing but these particular sites were almost entirely about pirating.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
The lengths people will go to to avoid paying $0.99 from time to time.

I wonder if the same goes for music ;)

Wonder how many on here bashing jailbreaking like it = piracy, have NEVER received a free song one way or another....

same same but different as the saying goes.

Tknull

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2011
San Diego
I found this very amusing. A site whose existence was based on helping its users avoid paying revenue to the people who develop software... is unable to figure out a way to make enough revenue, from those same users. I really hope they see the irony in that.

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
Its not. The issue is solely in the minds of those that associate Jailbreaking with Piracy.
i work in an Apple Premium Reseller, when I ask to user why they jailbreak they always says to pirate software, they usually think buying is for stupid users. So don't try to defend Jailbreak. Jailbreak give users the chance of cheating Game Center records, pirating software, loosing stability and security... But if they have a problem they blame apple! I live this everyday.

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
I never understood the kiddies who could afford an iPhone but couldn't afford $1 apps. Guess they'll flock to Android and crush that platforms app programmers.

Good news for developers.

Yesterday, despite my interjection, I witnessed a crime beneath my eyes. One of my family members was downloading a pirated game on android.

What shocks me is that I know people who regret their iPhone purchase because iOS 6 has no jailbreak so they can't pirate. And also people who claim that android is better than iOS for the sole reason of piracy.

I've seen innocent people, harmless people, good people who resort to stealing their software. It's just sad.

keaton85

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2012
There are a ton of different situations for Jailbreaking and using installous. Blindly putting a bad label on it is just ignorance.

Personally:
- I used installous for trying apps out since there is no "demo" mode on most apps. Particularly the more expensive ones. Once you buy it your stuck with it, for better or worse. NO THANKS!
- Disabling the stupid password feature on FMF
- Tethering (I use Page+, so it wont register tethering correctly)

Those items for me are deal breakers. Ive been a diehard mac person for years and I still am, with dozens of iPhones in the family. BUT personally, without these two items (JB & Installous), I won't have an issue going to Jelly Bean. iOS has really taken a dive in my personal opinion with limiting the ability to do anything. Sadly, I feel that iOS has not progressed with the times....

notgruntled

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2006
I've used Installous on one device, a jailbroken first-gen iPhone, and for one reason: To track down older versions of apps that can run on iOS 3.x. The App Store doesn't make those available, and I can't reload them from iTunes if I've updated on my other devices.

If there were a "legitimate" way of doing that, I would, including paying for any of the apps that aren't free and that I haven't already paid for.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
I found this very amusing. A site whose existence was based on helping its users avoid paying revenue to the people who develop software... is unable to figure out a way to make enough revenue, from those same users. I really hope they see the irony in that.

Thanks for that, needed a laugh today.

Only time I have jailbroken an iPhone was for friends who wanted to use it on tmobile. I think it's a cool idea, but I prefer stock so I don't have to worry about updates, etc. I'm glad to see this company shutdown so hopefully we can reduce the # of people who associate jailbreaking with pirating. Jailbreaking has legitimate uses and pirating shouldn't be one of them.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland

I lol'd after reading this.

"Hey, we've saved you guys dozens of dollars pirating free apps so, in order to keep us going, we need a little of that dough from you guys, whadya say?"
.No.

3N16MA

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2009
Space
So many quality apps in the 1-5 dollar range. The amount of time I actually spend playing some of these iOS games (most likely the most pirated) makes them a bargain. I know some people argue that movie studios try to sell a Blu-Ray for $25+ and it's not worth it. Music studios charge usually around $1 per song (outside of sales). However these developers are constantly offering up their apps for 1-5 dollars (most of them) which is more than fair. There is also tonnes of sales and apps that are free for a limited time.

Many apps are already a very good deal to begin with.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
Poor babies. Now they can't steal from people and ruin their hard work. Of course their forums are not active. Deadbeats don't have much to talk about.

Vudoo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Dallas Metroplex
Screw developers, is what the pirateers say.

"Charge a fair price and I'll buy it. My max is $1 for iPhone/iPad games/apps - if higher, I'll pirate it. Blu-ray/DVD max ill pay is 14.99 - if higher I'll pirate it. Once an app I pirate goes on sale for a dollar I buy it. I have purchased more apps than most of you and my DVD/bluray collection is second to none. I'm not paying for any companies mismanagement or poor planning or forecasting. Give me a fair price and I'll buy it."

Says the pirates.

*I in no way condone pirating apps or movies

A fair price can vary from person to person where some may say that if it isn't free, then it's not fair.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
It's a little nauseating to read this site of thieves refer to themselves as a "community" as if they are doing the world some great favor by stealing apps and depriving people of their legitimate income.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
I don't really see the point in jailbreaking anymore. The iPhones can be basically used on any carrier anymore without the need to jailbreak to unlock it. We can change our own wallpapers now and can multitask. Just wish there were a legitimate way to "hide" apps that are never used, AKA half the Apple ones that can't be deleted. iOS just keeps adding more and more features that everybody wants. Only thing I miss is my tether and a few tweeks and SBSettings.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
Knew it was going to happen. I was on the Hackulous forums and telling people how Installous is gone, 4 days later it is Official.

Oh well, I just bought my second app last night which was Tapatalk HD. I'll continue to buy more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.