Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
So I've acquired a 2010 Mac Pro, and started folding today, since its cold right now. It's a 12-core model, and I'm using version 7 beta, using all 24 cores. However, the fans don't seem to be on. Does this sound crazy to you?

rwh202

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2010
UK
Wow, that thing should fold some!
I think the MacPro cooling system is pretty efficient, but the fans should at least be turning! Do you have istat or smc installed to monitor fan speeds and temps?

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
i couldn't find istat earlier, but i found smcFanControl and it says it's 61 C and the fan is at 799 rpm, which is pretty low i think. i can't hear it at all in this room. which i'm very thankful, and that temp is amazing if accurate!

rwh202

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2010
UK
Can I get -bigadv units working on this thing?

Not under OS X. Linux (and windows?) only at the moment.

Since the increase in minimum requirements from 8 to 16 cores (24 cores for bigbigadv), there is no longer a huge points bonus for these machines anyway. Sticking with standard SMP will probably be the best bet.

What ppd are you showing on it?

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Not under OS X. Linux (and windows?) only at the moment.

Since the increase in minimum requirements from 8 to 16 cores (24 cores for bigbigadv), there is no longer a huge points bonus for these machines anyway. Sticking with standard SMP will probably be the best bet.

What ppd are you showing on it?

thanks. right now i'm showing 36k-37k ppd. is it worth running linux in a VM to get the bigadv units? seems like i read someone getting around 64k ppd with the same processors in native linux, but i could be wrong.

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
congrats on your machine!

Hey, a 12 core Pro -- a beast of a machine! I know video editors who would be drooling over your rig!

I'd have to say I don't even use my macs for folding anymore -- not enough PPD to make the noise level and electricity worthwhile. By way of comparison, since the points were rebalanced for GPU folding, a recent (read that as efficient) Kepler card, GTX 660 Ti (can be bought for around $250) can pull in 36K PPD, so if anyone has any old video cards in a PC box hanging around...

Louis

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Hey, a 12 core Pro -- a beast of a machine! I know video editors who would be drooling over your rig!

I'd have to say I don't even use my macs for folding anymore -- not enough PPD to make the noise level and electricity worthwhile. By way of comparison, since the points were rebalanced for GPU folding, a recent (read that as efficient) Kepler card, GTX 660 Ti (can be bought for around $250) can pull in 36K PPD, so if anyone has any old video cards in a PC box hanging around...

Louis

thanks! yeah i actually do video editing with the machine. but i thought i'd try and see what i could get with folding on the machine while it's still cold here.

yeah i've read about the GPU folding points increase, but almost all of my cards are GTX260's, which doesn't get the new points.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.