Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
Yesterday, despite my interjection, I witnessed a crime beneath my eyes. One of my family members was downloading a pirated game on android.

What shocks me is that I know people who regret their iPhone purchase because iOS 6 has no jailbreak so they can't pirate. And also people who claim that android is better than iOS for the sole reason of piracy.

I've seen innocent people, harmless people, good people who resort to stealing their software. It's just sad.

Not for nothing, but stealing is NOT "harmless," since, as shown by the example in this very article, it has a very real effect on people trying to run a business. How many thousands of dollars and man-hours were ruined by people like your relative? It's no better than people related to a mugger on the news talking about what a good boy the perp is.

petey2133

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2012
Well, I can honestly say this stinks. Not for stealing apps, but the option of downloading apps that apple wont approve..

I always enjoyed using location fakers so I could use my NFL sunday ticket. After paying $350 for the ticket and another $75.00 for mobile access its total BS that they wouldnt let me watch any game anywhere like they advertise (I understand regions / black outs) but I still felt shafted for the amount I paid.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Well, I can honestly say this stinks. Not for stealing apps, but the option of downloading apps that apple wont approve..

I always enjoyed using location fakers so I could use my NFL sunday ticket. After paying $350 for the ticket and another $75.00 for mobile access its total BS that they wouldnt let me watch any game anywhere like they advertise (I understand regions / black outs) but I still felt shafted for the amount I paid.

u can still do it. "installous" is down, not Cydia

somethingelsefl

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Tampa, FL
Developer protection is the second most reason my developer friends stick with the Apple (the first being iOS adoption rate and usage stats).

So just to clarify...Apple did not take legal action, instead the hacksrs themselves gave up, due to lack if interest? Maybe Apple could apply some of this "pressure" rather than legal action in other situations of software development.

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
Not that there were many (if any) moral uses for Installous, but the idea of trying an app before you buy it would be a great feature for the App Store. Like a one hour or one day trial period.

Yes, many developers have free versions, but many don't. Just an idea :)

Exactly what I was thinking. Time and time again I have paid money for apps that look good but are ultimate crap. And it is almost impossible to get a refund.

On the bright side, less piracy means more quality apps (hopefully).

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Salient underappreciated tidbit:

our community has become stagnant and our forums are a bit of a ghost town.

Is interest in amateur-level piracy waning? With most apps so cheap and easy to install, perhaps prospective pirates prefer purchase.

GunZi

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2012
I did once use Installous when i got my first iphone, it was the only reason why i jailbreaked really. I don't look back because it was always lagging and a terrible experience.

Now i'm buying all the things i need, much better. :cool:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Is interest in amateur-level piracy waning? With most apps so cheap and easy to install, perhaps prospective pirates prefer purchase.
More likely that people want to just steal the software and not really discuss the details of such.

luigi408

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2008
Don't care much about it but where is my iPhone 5 jailbreak =( I've been waiting so long. I just want to use my two apps: one to trick my iPhone that is on wifi and the other is sharing my Internet connection to my iPad. =( that is the only two reasons I jailbreak. Other than that I don't care.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
The comments I'm seeing over this on other sites is just ridiculous. People should just ignore it, it's just a bunch of 13-16 year-olds anyway. They aren't going to take the advise from any of us to stop.

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
I remember using that back in the day to try apps...haven't in a long time. It is a shame that Hackulous shutting down will decrease the chance of a jailbreak.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Others will fill the gap left, but for the first time, I'm starting to believe that the pirates are losing the battle. Here in the UK many newsgroup indexing sites and torrent sites are either closed down or are legally blocked by ISP's.

Not the case on Virgin Media. The idiots run their own newsgroup full of warez.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
Developer protection is the second most reason my developer friends stick with the Apple (the first being iOS adoption rate and usage stats).

So just to clarify...Apple did not take legal action, instead the hacksrs themselves gave up, due to lack if interest? Maybe Apple could apply some of this "pressure" rather than legal action in other situations of software development.

That is a reason why I stick with Apple too.

Although I have heard a saying among iOS developers that you know you have made it once your app is cracked (glad I never made it? lol).

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
I switched from piracy to paid downloads last year. Keeping up with updating pirates apps is too much of a hassle and when you pay for your apps your phone doesn't get cluttered with all the crappy apps that plague the app store and developers have the audacity to charge a dollar for.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Good. The rest need to go with them and hopefully in iOS7 there will be some improvements to help stop pirated apps.

yes, because mature OSes like Windows and OS X are without pirated software...oh, wait.

the people are the problem. not the tools.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Despite it all, still it is sad to see pieces of the jb scene fall apart

As a professional app developer, I don't see a problem here. Come end of day, I'm doing this to pay the mortgage and feed the kids, not to satisfy my sheer amusement or satiate for free the needs of those perfectly capable of paying a fair (highly competitive even!) price for my efforts.

Nice to see the market adapt. Having unwittingly spawned the piracy scene by charging too-high prices for too-hard-to-obtain software, :apple: is obviating the motivation by creating a popular walled garden where prices are low and delivery is fast. Tap twice, wait 30 seconds, pay the $0.99 bill later. Why bother with jailbreaking? Sure a few may still be motivated, but collectively lack the critical mass to compete or even keep up.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
i work in an Apple Premium Reseller, when I ask to user why they jailbreak they always says to pirate software, they usually think buying is for stupid users. So don't try to defend Jailbreak. Jailbreak give users the chance of cheating Game Center records, pirating software, loosing stability and security... But if they have a problem they blame apple! I live this everyday.

i work as a contractor in IT departments for big companies. the people i know who jailbreak do it for 1) free TETHERING apps, 2) the UI tweaks & hacks. nobody i know has any desire to pirate apps.

so anecdotal evidence works both ways.

Eiswritsat

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2011
I've used installous but only one games. I'm not going to buy a $6.99 game and find out I hate it. If I like it then I go to the apple store and purchase it legally. I wish apple gave you the ability to try out games and apps before purchase because the reviews people leave aren't always accurate at all.

slapple

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2008
How sad is it that people have to pirate apps when most of them are just a few bucks.

miknos

Suspended
Mar 14, 2008
Not that there were many (if any) moral uses for Installous, but the idea of trying an app before you buy it would be a great feature for the App Store. Like a one hour or one day trial period.

Yes, many developers have free versions, but many don't. Just an idea :)

Some developers say "it's just a dollar". Yeah, a dollar horribly spent if the app is crap. Slenderman comes to my mind. A true piece of crap who sold hundreds of thousands before reviews appeared saying the app stinks. The developer even created more versions to rip more people!

If the developer creates a good app, it will sell. Just check the most pirated movies of 2012. ALL of them were blockbusters.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
It still baffles me to this day that people want to pirate apps that cost a pittance on such expensive hardware. :confused:

Good to see an end to one of these types of things either way. :cool:

Nanasaki

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
Hackulous...you will not be missed.

Pay the developers for the apps you use.

Well, it will be remembered by lots of people. This is truly a sad news. But hey, I know quit few ways to get apps for free. Don't blame me, I love pirating (free) stuffs.

Get real, You will never able to eliminating piracy. As long as people developing apps, selling album and movies, people will pirating.

Good riddance. Jailbreaking shouldn't be about pirating.

Well, it never invented to be. Just like aircraft never intended to crash into building. But people do it anyway.

Screw developers, is what the pirateers say.

"Charge a fair price and I'll buy it. My max is $1 for iPhone/iPad games/apps - if higher, I'll pirate it. Blu-ray/DVD max ill pay is 14.99 - if higher I'll pirate it. Once an app I pirate goes on sale for a dollar I buy it. I have purchased more apps than most of you and my DVD/bluray collection is second to none. I'm not paying for any companies mismanagement or poor planning or forecasting. Give me a fair price and I'll buy it."

Says the pirates.

*I in no way condone pirating apps or movies

People pirating for varies reasons. I am not saying pirate is good anyway, but people do pirating stuffs. From financial reasons or just try the app. There is no refund channel in iOS, I would like to try the app before I actually buy. I did lot and brought lot apps. But again, you will never able to eliminating piracy, never.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.