Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I'm not an iOS user but I wonder how this affects sales. Say 10% of users buy iOS to jailbreak/pirate apps, that's a lot of people who are now thinking maybe Android is the better place to be for apps (whether it's to buy or pirate).

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Love how they try to make themselves sound like the good guys, battling against evil creatives and hard-working developers :eek:

I'm not an iOS user but I wonder how this affects sales. Say 10% of users buy iOS to jailbreak/pirate apps, that's a lot of people who are now thinking maybe Android is the better place to be for apps (whether it's to buy or pirate).

The same selection and quality of apps doesn’t exist on Android... it’s always “just around the corner” and never arrives.

Developers and Apple alike can survive without pirates. Can Android developers survive with even more pirates and freeloaders? Sure... sort of... sometimes...

(And 10% is high: most of the world is not tech-savvy forum-goers, and I suspect less than 10% of iPhone owners could even tell you what jailbreaking is!)

Aidan5806

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Congratulations on being one of the people who equate jailbreaking to cracking apps (or cracking apps to jailbreaking). Android is for you because it's extremely easy to crack apps.

That's not his point. Jailbreaking is just not as easy as it use to be and a lot of Cydia developers have had to shut down due to lack of business, not just Hackulous, so even if some obscure dev does come out with a jailbreak for the latest version of iOS a couple years from now, there wont be a prominent reason to jailbreak. And just for the sake of disproving your point, getting paid apps for free was one of the most popular reasons for casual users to jailbreak, and im just talking about people who dont know or care enough about tech to do it for modding purposes.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Love how they try to make themselves sound like the good guys, battling against evil creatives and hard-working developers :eek:

The same selection and quality of apps doesn’t exist on Android... it’s always “just around the corner” and never arrives.

Developers and Apple alike can survive without pirates. Can Android developers survive with even more pirates and freeloaders? Sure... sort of... sometimes...

(And 10% is high: most of the world is not tech-savvy forum-goers, and I suspect less than 10% of iPhone owners could even tell you what jailbreaking is!)

With an 80% piracy rate on Android why would anyone write anything but the most banal apps. Google doesn't seem to care about it, they make money off embedded ads.
http://www.pocketgamer.biz/r/PG.Biz/Madfinger+news/news.asp?c=43449

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
"Piracy is a major problem for many iOS app developers, and there have been several instances of piracy forcing developers to remove their apps from the App Store. One such case earlier this month saw Hunted Cow shut down its multiplayer title Battle Dungeon after piracy rates of roughly 90% made it impossible to handle the game's server load based on the revenue generated through legitimate sales."

I fail to understand why this is such a problem. I am a developer. I write software. So I have a bit of knowledge in this area. It is easy to implement protection against pirated software especially on server based games and the like. The fact that these developers like Hunted Cow choose not to do so is strange.

Analogy time: I also farm. We have lots of predators out in the woods that want to eat our livestock. So I put up electric fences and have a pack of livestock guardian herding dogs. Most predators simply stay away from us because they see our dogs, smell our dogs territorial markings and hear our dogs howling at them. Most predators are smart enough not to actually try for that tasty piglet, chicken or lamb and risk getting eaten by our dogs. And the dogs DO eat the predators who are foolish enough to try. The result is we get very little predation. On the other hand, another farm further down the valley has a house dog and no guardian dogs. They regularly lose livestock to the local coyotes and bears.

The world is full of predators. Make wise choices. Have good defenses.

A server based game is like having the only watering hole around. The predators will come to you and you can pick them off at your leisure. So why doesn't Hunted Cow get guard dogs?

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2011
UK
Good riddance. Was pissed when I found out people were pirating my apps. No doubt they still do somehow but it's good to see one method fall.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario

I read an article last year that the percentage of users who do were between 9-11%. It seems plausible.

I don't argue that the quality of apps on iOS are greater than that of Android but let's just say the average user, say student, are only concerned with the more mainstream apps like Tap Tap, Angry Birds, etc. Apps that range anywhere from $.99 to $4.99. If they can't pirate those types of apps with iOS and can with Android I could see those users switching.

Of course if you can afford the more niche apps, or higher quality apps it doesn't matter but for the "middle-class" users, I could see this happening.

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
I don't really see the point in jailbreaking anymore. The iPhones can be basically used on any carrier anymore without the need to jailbreak to unlock it. We can change our own wallpapers now and can multitask. Just wish there were a legitimate way to "hide" apps that are never used, AKA half the Apple ones that can't be deleted. iOS just keeps adding more and more features that everybody wants. Only thing I miss is my tether and a few tweeks and SBSettings.

There is a way to hide apps without jailbreaking. It may not be 'official' but it works perfectly and I use it on an iPhone 5 with no issues.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/10/20/how-to-hide-multiple-apps-no-jailbreak-required/

discuit

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2009
I don't really care about Hackulous, as I don't pirate apps, but I hope someone makes a replacement for the jailbreak tweak called "AppSync" (hosted on their Cydia repository) which allows you to sync unsigned .ipas (like if you have a developer account).

I use this to be able to use "out-of-print" apps on my phone that I got from someone else (Like the SBNation app, which was free, but is no longer in the App Store). Also, if an app I have paid for came out with an update that I hated, I could find an older version on the net and would be able to sync it to my phone.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
I don't really see the point in jailbreaking anymore. The iPhones can be basically used on any carrier anymore without the need to jailbreak to unlock it. We can change our own wallpapers now and can multitask. Just wish there were a legitimate way to "hide" apps that are never used, AKA half the Apple ones that can't be deleted. iOS just keeps adding more and more features that everybody wants. Only thing I miss is my tether and a few tweeks and SBSettings.

It will evolve and evolve until jailbreaking is totally useless.

People have to decide Apple or Android. A friend of mine has both. Not really a bad idea.
I'd like to see two separate ios sets. One for mobile devices and one that can
do desktop like/MBP like tasks, kind of an iOSX.

And, eventually there will be bootcamp for iOS, letting us run Android stuff and windows 8 on our mobiles.

People will be complaining about making OSX closer and closer to iOS, but I think it eventually will be.

I'd like to use my ipad like an MBP. (I know it's called MBA)

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
ugh, seems I'm totally lost in new technologies. I always thought that it is not possible to crack iOS apps that are in the App store. I always thought this is only a Android problem. :eek:

Well in any case good riddance unless someone can come up with a legitimate reason for cracking apps on phones.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Screw developers, is what the pirateers say.

"Charge a fair price and I'll buy it. My max is $1 for iPhone/iPad games/apps - if higher, I'll pirate it. Blu-ray/DVD max ill pay is 14.99 - if higher I'll pirate it. Once an app I pirate goes on sale for a dollar I buy it. I have purchased more apps than most of you and my DVD/bluray collection is second to none. I'm not paying for any companies mismanagement or poor planning or forecasting. Give me a fair price and I'll buy it."

Says the pirates.

*I in no way condone pirating apps or movies

You're right. That's exactly the way they view it. It equates to saying:

"Screw Chevrolet. Once they start charging a fair price for the Volt I'll pay it. In the meantime I will keep smashing the front window of my local Chevy dealer and taking what I want."

Thieves will be thieves.

atomwork

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2001
Miami Beach
Excellent news! Hopefully others will follow suit, rather than attempting to "fill the void".

All that piracy talk is kinda BS. in the 80/90ies we copied music and games too. Remember the old AMIGA days. You did purchased your music when you where a fan, otherwise copied a CD from a friend. Nothing changed.

As far as the above posters cheering for this, i find it hard to accept that the iTunes vending machine is our only place to get and test out apps. Ever purchased a 30 buck app that you couldn't return or get your money back because it wasn't what you needed.

I feel it's part of the game. I purchase tons of apps, other I'd rather like to try out before purchasing.

And the whole JAILBREAK think should be a good thing. I buy the phone and I should be in control what I want to install. CYDIA has dope apps you can buy or get for free. One true thing I do envy on the android side. Open source.

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
If you pirate software, or whatever else, you're a piece of you know what. I feel bad for small time app devs who have their income ripped off by twits who want everything for free.

you feel like crap? lmao @ jumping bandwagon..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.