Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

truss009

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
Hey guys/gals,

I am currently using an iPhone 4 with Unlimited Data on Verizon, however as you know since unlimited data is no more after the iPhone 5 came out, I won't be able to continue with it without buying the phone outright. I believe the 2gb of data is the same price however. I was just curious as to what kind of usage that equals comapred to the unlimited because I am a little scared I might go over, as I haven't switched to the 5 yet, but will later this week. What have you guys found out about using 2gb? Anyone have success with it? I just don't want a huge step back when making the switch to the 5 is all.

Thanks for any hel, it's greatly appreciated.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Hey guys/gals,

I am currently using an iPhone 4 with Unlimited Data on Verizon, however as you know since unlimited data is no more after the iPhone 5 came out, I won't be able to continue with it without buying the phone outright. I believe the 2gb of data is the same price however. I was just curious as to what kind of usage that equals comapred to the unlimited because I am a little scared I might go over, as I haven't switched to the 5 yet, but will later this week. What have you guys found out about using 2gb? Anyone have success with it? I just don't want a huge step back when making the switch to the 5 is all.

Check under your current usage. You can check your monthly phone bills to see how much data you've been using each month (even with unlimited, they still track how much you use).

We can't tell you what your data usage needs are. I am on a 2GB a month plan and I'm usually ok with that, sometimes I go over by a gig. Some people (my girlfriend) are on unlimited and use 8-12 GB a month. I would just suggest checking your past phone bills to see what your usage has been like, only way to make an accurate assessment.

Vell843

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2011
Truss009, I also have Verizon and made upgrade from an iPhone 4 to a iPhone 5. I was also sort of hesitant about giving up my unlimited and having to get a 2GB a month data plan. Now I am connected to wifi whenever I am at home so of course I am not using data then. It all depends on if you have wifi or not or are you always going to be using the network?

truss009

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
Truss009, I also have Verizon and made upgrade from an iPhone 4 to a iPhone 5. I was also sort of hesitant about giving up my unlimited and having to get a 2GB a month data plan. Now I am connected to wifi whenever I am at home so of course I am not using data then. It all depends on if you have wifi or not or are you always going to be using the network?

Awesome, thanks for that!

I take the train into work pretty much every day so that's my main concern because I use it for the whole ride.

Also, I guess my other question is does the 4g/LTE use more data than the 3G that I currently have? I called Verizon and they said I haven't gone over 1.6gb the last three months. Thanks everyone for the responses!

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Also, I guess my other question is does the 4g/LTE use more data than the 3G that I currently have?

It doesn't use more it uses it faster, so you _can_ consume more over the same time period.

However, if you're downloading a 200MB PDF, it's 200MB of data consumption whether it takes 45 seconds or 4 minutes :)

That being said, some services might also use more for the same task where there's some bandwidth variation, for example streaming video. Watching the same movie _might_ use more on LTE, because the higher bandwidth may allow a higher quality stream (which would use more data).

I hope that's adequately confusing :D

rxllrn

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
Awesome, thanks for that!

I take the train into work pretty much every day so that's my main concern because I use it for the whole ride.

Also, I guess my other question is does the 4g/LTE use more data than the 3G that I currently have? I called Verizon and they said I haven't gone over 1.6gb the last three months. Thanks everyone for the responses!

I had the iPhone 4 previously and I constantly used ~1GB of data. However, when I moved to the iPhone 5, I've struggled to keep under my 2GB limit. My guess is that faster speeds, combined with faster processing with the iPhone 5 decreased the amount of time activities took on my phone, allowing me to go through more content than usual.

CharlieBrandt09

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2012
Southern NJ
Hey guys/gals,

Are you on a solo acct or family plan?

My wife and I were both on 2GB plans w 700 mins and unlimited text. Now we are on share plan with 6GB shared data and unlimited everything. It was actually $2.50 cheaper that way, and we get free tethering.

It's a whole extra GB each for similar pricing, so you may want to consider it.

truss009

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
I had the iPhone 4 previously and I constantly used ~1GB of data. However, when I moved to the iPhone 5, I've struggled to keep under my 2GB limit. My guess is that faster speeds, combined with faster processing with the iPhone 5 decreased the amount of time activities took on my phone, allowing me to go through more content than usual.

Ahhhh! Knew someone would come in with negative feedback! I like hearing the truth. I may opt for the 5gb of data, as it's only an extra 10$.

Vell843

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2011
Ahhhh! Knew someone would come in with negative feedback! I like hearing the truth. I may opt for the 5gb of data, as it's only an extra 10$.

Truss if I were you, I would go with the 2 gig a month plan and see how much data you use in a month and then if you come close to your 2 gig limit, upgrade your data plan.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
My wife and I consistently use between 0.5-1.8 GB per month and have the 2 GB Share Everything plan. It was a no-brainer for us to ditch the unlimited data we had on a Family Share plan because we weren't using more than 2 GB anyway.

Our bill went from $165 per month for two smartphones including an 18% corporate discount to $139 per month with the same discount. If we have an odd month where 2 GB isn't enough, we can bump it up to 4 GB for that month for $10 more and still pay less than we were paying for unlimited data.

Saving over $300 a year and gaining unlimited minutes on top of that was a win-win for us.

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010
Hey guys/gals,

I use 2 Gb in 2 days on LTE

----------

also, keep in mind anytime you do something data based on your iphone 5 the website will detect the faster speed on LTE and download higher quality images, gifs, videos etc etc etc causing more data consumption.

TheNakedMan

macrumors member
May 20, 2007
I use 200-400 megs a month...however facetime is a big deal in the future...as now all my friends are getting the iPhone...so driving down the road might be fun.

canwe3

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2012
thats nothing. It's easy to use a gb per day when you are driving a ot and streaming sirius/xm and netflix etc.

why would you need xm/sirius when you have an iphone(ipod). even with 4g doesn't netflix lag? Don't you guys need to save battery life? How can you stream music, netflix and still use full day of use? I use my iphone just for phone,text,email and it last just one day. I don't play games, music, videos, web or any of that stuff. I use about 110mb for my emails and that's about it. Sometimes I check the weather

truss009

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
My wife and I consistently use between 0.5-1.8 GB per month and have the 2 GB Share Everything plan. It was a no-brainer for us to ditch the unlimited data we had on a Family Share plan because we weren't using more than 2 GB anyway.

Our bill went from $165 per month for two smartphones including an 18% corporate discount to $139 per month with the same discount. If we have an odd month where 2 GB isn't enough, we can bump it up to 4 GB for that month for $10 more and still pay less than we were paying for unlimited data.

Saving over $300 a year and gaining unlimited minutes on top of that was a win-win for us.

What do the overage charges look like when you go over? Or can you just pay the $10 after you go over that month? Seems to me like you would need to pay for the extra 2gb beforehand.

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010
why would you need xm/sirius when you have an iphone(ipod). even with 4g doesn't netflix lag? Don't you guys need to save battery life? How can you stream music, netflix and still use full day of use? I use my iphone just for phone,text,email and it last just one day. I don't play games, music, videos, web or any of that stuff. I use about 110mb for my emails and that's about it. Sometimes I check the weather

1. I can't get live programming from my music player on my phone.

2. No netflix doesnt lag on 4g

3. plug into cars cigarette outlet

4. fine for you if you only use your phone a little but many of us get a lot more use out of it

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
What do the overage charges look like when you go over? Or can you just pay the $10 after you go over that month? Seems to me like you would need to pay for the extra 2gb beforehand.

Overages are $15 per GB if you go over your quota and don't proactively add more data before you go over. I don't think you can add data after the fact and make it retroactive. Basically, if you catch it before it happens, you get 2 GB for $10; if you don't, Verizon gives you 1 GB for $15.

I could be mistaken, but I believe you can proactively add data to your plan *before* you go over and have it take effect immediately. We've never actually gone over 2 GB in a month; but I was considering bumping us up to 4 GB in the middle of December in anticipation of holiday travel use. I didn't end up pulling the trigger, but I'm pretty sure it gave me the option of having the change take effect immediately. Our billing cycle starts in the first week of the month so it would've been a mid-cycle change.

swervinsuburban

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
The people that use 1-2 gb in a day are the people that ruined unlimited data for everybody else because they use their phones for a modem and cancel their home Internet service, I use my phone heavily, eBay, web surfing, apps, pandora, and use about 1.75 gb a month and I'm connected to wifi at home and work

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.