Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
I have over half of the disk empty and memory is 2GB...

Memory is 2 GB.. thats tight. Maybe its clearing out the virtual memory before it shuts down as there are too many services and programs running? Just a guess.

Now boot your laptop and don't run anything. Check your activity monitor and kill all the user(your) processes. Maybe you have a lot of small programs running like google drive, evernote etc etc...

Now do a shutdown and see what happens.

Drew017

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA
Memory is 2 GB.. thats tight. Maybe its clearing out the virtual memory before it shuts down as there are too many services and programs running? Just a guess.

Now boot your laptop and don't run anything. Check your activity monitor and kill all the user(your) processes. Maybe you have a lot of small programs running like google drive, evernote etc etc...

Now do a shutdown and see what happens.

2GB isn't too bad for me, because I don't usually have a lot of background processes running... It usually has about 100mb free when I have larger apps like Aperture running

Anyway yes I have tried that (along with purging the RAM) but it doesn't have much of an effect, however I recently did a couple restarts and it was pretty quick... Weird :confused:

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
2GB isn't too bad for me, because I don't usually have a lot of background processes running... It usually has about 100mb free when I have larger apps like Aperture running

Anyway yes I have tried that (along with purging the RAM) but it doesn't have much of an effect, however I recently did a couple restarts and it was pretty quick... Weird :confused:

Well something is not responding to the kill command issued by the OS during shutdown.

I guess you have to try a reinstall of the OS...

mag01

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2011
No, that's a waste of time, really. It's more generic issue that many users deal with. Search these and Apple forums and you'll find many cases... The most useful thread is probably this one:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4339540
where they made some progress in locating few causes. However it's only about some workarounds (with varying effect) so far. It really has to be taken care in the OS.

Last edited:

Drew017

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA
Well something is not responding to the kill command issued by the OS during shutdown.

I guess you have to try a reinstall of the OS...

If it gets really bad I might at some point, but I don't really see any reason to, since it is literally a brand new install and other people are having the same issue... also the MacBook air has the instant on feature so i don't really need to shut it down a whole lot...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.