Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MetzoPaino

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2012
I'm thinking about purchasing a lock for my iMac and having it tied around the desk that it stands on.

Any suggestions?

I've heard horror stories of cheap locks breaking and then the tumbler is just stuck in the hole, so I'm not adverse to paying for a "premium" brand.

Seems like I could get the Kingston Slim Microsaver lock, which is pretty cheap. It would also work with future laptops/computers, though as I've seen in a recent thread, if a thief was yanking at it to pull it off, because its attached to the display there would be a lot of damage.

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/T4334LL/A/kensington-slim-kevlar-microsaver-lock-white

Other option seems to be the Kensington SafeDome, which seems more secure, and wouldn't damage as much because it connects to the stand. However it wouldn't work on anything else, and the gap for the external cables doesn't seem too big and I've got 4 USB, Ethernet and a power cable going through.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H9445LL/A/kensington-safedome-secure-lock-for-imac

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
The one you suggest in your link is an excellent choice. Kensington really know their stuff and have been in the market for a long time. I would go with one of the higher end products if you are really concerned about theft.

Locksmth

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2012
The Kensington locks are probably among the best. Just so you know, I can defeat one in under a minute with my leather an tool. And yes, I have done at least 50 (professionally, not stealing them).

Arman

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2008
SoCal
The Kensington locks are probably among the best. Just so you know, I can defeat one in under a minute with my leather an tool. And yes, I have done at least 50 (professionally, not stealing them).

That statement seems contradictory.

Arman

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2008
SoCal
How so?

The cheap ones fail faster. The Kensington locks are made out of decent quality stainless. The crappy ones are pot metal.

I guess, I misunderstood. I thought your reference to the lock being easily broken was in regard to the kensington lock.

Locksmth

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2012
I guess, I misunderstood. I thought your reference to the lock being easily broken was in regard to the kensington lock.

No, you got it right. I can defeat a Kensington lock in under a minute with a leatherman tool. The cheaper ones are faster.

Arman

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2008
SoCal
No, you got it right. I can defeat a Kensington lock in under a minute with a leatherman tool. The cheaper ones are faster.

Seems like nothing is really theft proof. Probably a good idea to have some good insurance although I'm assuming most thefts are not done by skilled locksman.

Tri-stan

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Put a bike chain through the stand! Wire locks are weaker than a thick chain and can be easily cut through. The small wires in a wire lock can be cut through even with a pair of pliers. Thick dense heavy duty chains are very hard to cut through. Lots of experience from potential bicycle thieves.

If you are going away for a while I would use this method.

Coffee Minutes

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2012
:eek:

I've never really heard of someone chaining their desktop at home, nor have I ever seen it. It sure makes the whole "experience" of owning an iMac less appealing if you need to chain it to a desk with a big ugly, bulky chain.

Is this because you live in a bad neighborhood?

Perhaps you could invest in Renters Insurance, which would cover a break-in?

Sad that one needs such security (I'm blaming society here). The iMac looks much nicer sitting alone on a desk untethered.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
putting a chain through the stand is useless if they can just take the stand off. so it looks like hell plus it doesnt help.

Arman

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2008
SoCal
Ok, I think I'm just gonna slap a GPS tracker underneath the stand. Put a Apple logo on it so it looks OEM. Something like this here and conceal in something like this here :D

MetzoPaino

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2012
:eek:

I've never really heard of someone chaining their desktop at home, nor have I ever seen it. It sure makes the whole "experience" of owning an iMac less appealing if you need to chain it to a desk with a big ugly, bulky chain.

Is this because you live in a bad neighborhood?

Perhaps you could invest in Renters Insurance, which would cover a break-in?

Sad that one needs such security (I'm blaming society here). The iMac looks much nicer sitting alone on a desk untethered.

That's why I'm looking at the locks in my original post, because they look fine and could fit through the stand hole so I never see it. I don't want a gigantic bike chain because it would look horrible.

Mostly for peace of mind too. Obviously if professional criminals break in nothing stands a chance, but if an alarm is wailing hopefully a kensington lock offers enough resistance that a petty crook goes for other things.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
putting a chain through the stand is useless if they can just take the stand off. so it looks like hell plus it doesnt help.

I guess this is one good point for the new iMac, since it's harder to remove the stand, no VESA mount. I guess anything chaining the iMac to your desk is a deterrent to theft, be it professional or a crime of opportunity. I'm be using a wire chain with lock through the hole in the leg.

ETA - for my desk you won't even see the top of the stand or lock.

Last edited:

Tri-stan

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
I guess this is one good point for the new iMac, since it's harder to remove the stand, no VESA mount. I guess anything chaining the iMac to your desk is a deterrent to theft, be it professional or a crime of opportunity. I'm be using a wire chain with lock through the hole in the leg.

ETA - for my desk you won't even see the top of the stand or lock.

I will be doing something like this. But when I go away for a few days I will be using the bike chain. They are going to have to rip the stand of the back if they want the iMac.

Rover110

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2012
Surrey, UK
I will be doing something like this. But when I go away for a few days I will be using the bike chain. They are going to have to rip the stand of the back if they want the iMac.

Remember that a push-bike chain can be easily (and quietly) undone at any link with a standard bike-chain tool. It is normal to take out a link or two from a new chain to adjust its length for your frame.

- Rover

Tri-stan

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Remember that a push-bike chain can be easily (and quietly) undone at any link with a standard bike-chain tool. It is normal to take out a link or two from a new chain to adjust its length for your frame.

- Rover

No I am currently using an armored cable lock which I usually use on my bicycle but am thinking of upgrading to one of these. You need a gas torch or angle grinder to get through one of these bad boys quickly. I don't want to be coming home after being out for a few days to find my stuff is gone so I choose to use my bike lock and attach it to my metal desk to keep things secure.

2qby8si.jpg

spork183

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
Ok, I think I'm just gonna slap a GPS tracker underneath the stand. Put a Apple logo on it so it looks OEM. Something like this here and conceal in something like this here :D

Doesn't hurt to cover all bases and install something like this that lets you lock the computer remotely, while also taking pictures and sending tracking data in the event of theft. Get lucky and the crook will access their banking info from your machine, then you can just charge the new computer to their account... :D
http://preyproject.com/

spork183

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
Forget the GPS thing. Changed my mind. Gonna use this intead.

[GIMG]http://images.travelpod.com/tripwow/photos/ta-0113-983c-5cea/big-lock-in-chtarpur-mandir-new-delhi-india+1152_13000969581-tpfil02aw-20110.jpg[/GIMG]

If you're worried about theft, do both. Prey Project only helps if they access from your computer. If I was stealing an iMac, I'd immediately yank the drive and install a new one before booting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.