Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SunnyRenegade33

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2012
Long story short, I had an HTC dream (Android) last week, I switched to an iPhone 4S this week and when I put in my SIM card (T-Mobile) it doesn't import any of my phone contacts.

When I go through the "import SIM contacts" method - it imports all of my Facebook contacts which I don't want at all... now my phone contact list is full of everyone I have on Facebook... but doesn't have any of the phone numbers/contacts I added on my Android device.

Two questions:

1.) How do I delete all of my Facebook contacts (under Phone app)?

2.) How can I import phone contacts (not Facebook) from my old Android HTC dream on to my iPhone 4S after I've cut the SIM card into a micro SIM?

jer04

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2012
Townsville, Australia
1) go to settings scroll down to 'facebook', click on it and you will c under 'allow these apps to use your account', there is an option 'contacts', turn that off.

2) have you been using google contacts (ie. google syncs enabled on your phone) to manage your contacts?

if not, enable it on your android phone and then follow the instruction below. it will upload your contacts to the cloud and you can sync them on your iphone.

if so,
here is a link to the instruction of how you can set up google sync (you can't set it up on new device after 30th jan., however, if you set it up now, your current device will still be able to use google sync after the date.)
http://support.google.com/a/users/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=138740

if you r going to set up your device after 30th jan. 2013
http://support.google.com/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2716936

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
You could always simply export your contacts on your android phone to a .vcf file, email it to yourself. Then open the email on your iphone, tap on the .vcf file and it will ask you if you want to import your contacts.
Voila!

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Long story short, I had an HTC dream (Android) last week, I switched to an iPhone 4S this week and when I put in my SIM card (T-Mobile) it doesn't import any of my phone contacts.
Most smartphones these days don't use the SIM phone book. You really should have your contacts stored in an account that can sync with your smartphone if you want to avoid re-typing. If your contacts are only stored locally on your prior device there are certainly ways to transfer those contacts into an account that will sync so you don't have to worry about migrating contacts in the future.

alphamyr

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2012
you could easily just sync your google account contacts from your android phone to your iphone using microsoft exchange, go to settings> mail, contacts, calendar and add an account, choose microsoft exchange, then fill up "email" as your google account / gmail account youre using in your android then the password for that account, choose or put exchange in the description, after setting it up another option would come out again, fill up all remaining info but put "balnk" in domain and "m.google.com" in server. hope this helps. HNY!!!

SunnyRenegade33

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2012
Yeah, I ended up retyping all of my phone contacts into iCloud (on my computer -- faster to type on keyboard than on a phone keypad). Everything is stored on iCloud - now I have two groups of contacts: Phone contacts and Facebook friends.

How can I make sure that phone numbers/contacts I add into my phone book in the future remain in sync with iCloud so I never have to retype all of my contacts + their respective phone numbers ever again?

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Yeah, I ended up retyping all of my phone contacts into iCloud (on my computer -- faster to type on keyboard than on a phone keypad). Everything is stored on iCloud - now I have two groups of contacts: Phone contacts and Facebook friends.

How can I make sure that phone numbers/contacts I add into my phone book in the future remain in sync with iCloud so I never have to retype all of my contacts + their respective phone numbers ever again?

Backup iCloud often.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Yeah, I ended up retyping all of my phone contacts into

Yikes.

Once u have ur stuff in a standard format file u shouldn't have to recreate it EVER again. Some minor editing maybe.

Personally I don't trust any third party storage as my sole backup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.