Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

streetfoldsfive

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2012
My new 27inch just arrived today and im inlove. No problems except one minor annoyance. Even when just sitting on the dash with nothing open the fans seem to be running on low where i can hear the a little and they do not go off. is this normal? I can feel the air blowing out the back a little. Thanks :cool:

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Wait until you get older - it won't bother you any more. :)

Seriously, though, with the fan at just under 1,200 RPM I can barely hear anything in front of the iMac. If I go around to the back (which doesn't take very long because the computer is so darn thin), I can hear the fan and feel the airflow, but it's not at all objectionable.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
Mine was the same as far as always hearing a very quiet fan, but mine would shut off when sleeping. However, playing games revved the fan up so that it was annoying loud.

streetfoldsfive

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2012
it says that its running at 1199 rpm but very quiet is this normal? The temperature is 32F

----------

for some reason on smf fan control the status goes back and fourth from 1200 to 1196ish but maintains the same low noise level but the sound is :(

streetfoldsfive

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2012
Yes farenhite :) and the fans start as soon as it comes out of sleep but I guess after the first couple days I'll forget about them. Plus it seems okay besides it they run at normal speed so you think it's okay guys?

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
Yes farenhite :) and the fans start as soon as it comes out of sleep but I guess after the first couple days I'll forget about them. Plus it seems okay besides it they run at normal speed so you think it's okay guys?

It can't be 32 F - that is the freezing point of water.

Yes, the fan will always run when the machine is on at the lowest setting, which is around 1200 rpm.

streetfoldsfive

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2012
That's what it says
And mine is only a little heArable is it worth it to go through exchange to hope for a dead silent one?

streetfoldsfive

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2012
this is so odd why mine is making noise idk if i should return :/

----------

could the fact that it says 32F and is making the fan noise show that my heat sensor is messed up?

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
Do you have an external drive connected?

I thought my iMacs fans were making noise, but it ended up being the external HD spinning away.

Nehalem1984

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2012
Well mine is from in front of the iMac...I can have the iMac off and get the same Db with a Decibel meter as when its on ;)

FusionDrive or SSD? Because 70% of the noise are coming from the HDD. With FusionDrive its impossible thats it is deadly silent.

iWaiting

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2012
Sorry for all the questions but I installed I stats menu, is it normal for the CPU to go to 150ish but fans stay at 1200 rpm?

that cpu is only just warm they can and do get up to 90 degrees centigrade if it gets to hot and bothered it will shut down the entire system these are modern chips not like the AMD chips of Yester year that would fry themselves

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
FusionDrive or SSD? Because 70% of the noise are coming from the HDD. With FusionDrive its impossible thats it is deadly silent.

Fusion drive. Im not talking about HDD noise im talking about fan noise as per the thread title. That being said the HDD in this is very close to silent aswell. Can only just hear it if i move my head close to the back when it doing lots of random read and writes and its completely silent other then that.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
You should hear this thing when under hardware stress. Boot into hardware test mode and run the hardware test. Then the imac sounds like a jet plane. Seriously loud. Thankfully I haven't heard that under normal use.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
Fusion drive. Im not talking about HDD noise im talking about fan noise as per the thread title. That being said the HDD in this is very close to silent aswell. Can only just hear it if i move my head close to the back when it doing lots of random read and writes and its completely silent other then that.

The iMac I returned had the Fusion Drive, and I could hear the hard drive from the front anytime it was reading or writing. That was sitting about 30 inches away from it. I could also hear the fan at all times.

Based on other reviews I read, I think this is normal. It really just depends on other noise in your room if you hear it or not.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
I suddenly noticed the fan of my iMac. It´s not loud at all, its extremely silent, but I can hear it. But, I was wondering how the sound of other peoples fans are. Because when I put my head back at the rear of the imac, I hear it quite well, and its like a very silent clicking engine. Not just wind as usual fans. and when I tilt the monitor back & forth is changes the sound a tiny bit. ....probably nothing to care about, but I was just wondering if the fan has some annoyances. Because usually, like apple laptops I would expect more of a wind only kind of sound.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.