Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
The issue is that it's not really 4th gen, but rather a 3s if you will. Internally iPad 3 was iPad 3,1 -iPad 3,3
These new ones are iPad 3,4-iPad 3,6.

More of an internal revision only a spec geek would care for.

mrkjsn

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2010
no redesign, and they cannot lose the weight unless they figure out how to make a huge retina display low power. Hence the battery size and the weight

although the screen is awesome it does get warm after prolonged used

You mean like IGZO?

TOMIMOT

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2011
Canada
The design is fine the way it is. Why change it?

I totally agree with this post, why change something when it was done right and works in the first place? I personally love the look of the ipad, aside from the minor changes they made from the 1 to the 2 I wouldn't change a thing, it's slick and sexy :p

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I thought he had a team working with him

Sure, Ive leads a design team, but he still is involved in each design, so Apple can't be designing an unlimited number of designs at once. Unless Apple is willing to design products without Ive's input, his time is the bottleneck to how many products they can work on at a time.

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
Are you saying the battery doesn't need to be a certain size to power the screen?

No, I'm responding to the OP saying that Apple could have redesigned the iPad 4 and made it thinner if they'd wanted to. I'm just tired of the argument that Apple holds back technology they already have and could implement at the current price point, just so they can implement the technology later and "force" people to upgrade.

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
It sucks thinking my $100 Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover will become obsolete as well as my iSkin $100 folio case.

I'm pretty sure they have designs laid out for the next 10 years but each year they slowly implement something "new" to justify the "new" in the "new iPad" :rolleyes: and brainwash the masses with how great the "new" device is and mention nothing good about the old one except praising how good the new is compared to the old model.

How is your keyboard cover and folio case obsolete? Did your iPad become obsolete with the new release or are you one of these brainwashed masses you speak of who needs the latest and greatest no matter how negligible the update?

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
Yes, if but there's a good probability.

I sincerely doubt it. Apple achieved exactly what they wanted to with the November release of the 'big' iPad. That is; ubiquity across the lineup for charging cables, the A6 processor and new GPU, the 'warmth' of the third generation is gone, battery life improved another 10-15%...the rest is unnecessary at this time...the iPad 4 is king of the hill, but in the tablet 'space' universally....the third gen is the second best, the iPad 2 is right there in third position. No other competitor is selling another tablet as well as the iPad 2 is still selling

What an impatient society we've become. The iPad wasn't even a 'thing' just over two years ago! The original went through a pretty decent design change to the iPad 2--the iPad 3/4 are unique in and of themselves with the retina screen (and the technology necessary to power the high resolution of the panel), and now a brand spankin' new model...the 'mini'! That is a lot of choices and designs for the past thirty months...AND a significant jump in the 'power' and usability of the iPad as a device more and more geared towards an actual laptop replacement than when the original dropped. For the majority of our society, the iPad is going to be plenty and truly ALL they need. The horsepower of the '4' is flat awesome! I'm still blown away how fast I can edit a photo, manipulate a big PDF or download a song, book or magazine. For email, Facebook, quick documents, media, photo manipulation, contact organization, et al...the average Joe or Jane could potentially eliminate any other computing devices from their home and be just fine with the 'big' iPad. The 'mini' is perfect as a travel companion, as is an iPhone

I'm sure as technology evolves and the ability to fit the energy needed into a smaller package comes available, we will see a slimmer, trimmer 'big' iPad. But I don't want to see Apple sacrifice the phenomenal battery life or awesome power and screen quality to save a couple ounces;)

On a serious note...I didn't mean to write that much, the point being is that it's still a relatively new platform and Apple has definitely aggressively updated and refined the design as time has moved forward. Two in a year and the second a substantial improvement in power over the first already this year....as I don't think Apple wanted such a drastic performance difference between the current iPhone and iPad. As well, a change to the new connector helps Apple to start slowly eliminating the 30 pin, decade old concept. That said, I don't anticipate a newly redesigned iPad in the first half of the year. No new amazing battery technology, IGZO isn't being produced in the quantity (quality?) necessary at this point for such a massive rollout...and the iPad 4 is currently the cat's meow. If you need an iPad, there's a couple of excellent options on the market...without significant threat from the competition at this time.

Why hurry? I'd like to see them spend some time and knock another one out of the park. Every iPad, IMO, has been a substantial upgrade. I've owned each iteration and not only has it transformed my business, but my personal life as well. Frankly I'm the dork that can talk your ear off with justification of why one can easily own both the big and mini iPads :)

Jer

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
large wall of text

I think the differences we have is what the Oct iPads announcement means.

It could be like what you said, that Apple created the perfect time to change its release cycle to fall, near the holiday.

However I think its an one time change for two reasons. 1) Lightning connector and 2) To update to make it match the iPad Mini in specs

Usually Apple would hold events based just on the iPad (iPad, iPad 2, iPad 3). This one was a 5 minute quick update. I don't see Apple doing that forever, this was more of a silent update with little change in design. Apple could have released a new design iPad like the iPad Mini but that would clearly piss off iPad 3 owners. What Apple is trying to do is find a balance, a March release could make sense.

1) Those iPad 3 owners will most likely upgrade.

2) Make the iPad even more competitive to the Surface (W8 Pro) and rumored cheaper Nexus 7/10 both coming in Q1.

3) Want to incorporate new design as quickly as possible and not wait until the fall.

Also, I'm not sure if your implying that I'm impatient or something, but for the record I only have 2 Apple products (iPhone 4 Verizon and iPad 1). I'm not exactly the type that wants the latest and greatest as you can see. I'll wait until my devices don't fit my needs anymore.

Piccio

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2012
Wall of text

^^^
/thread

I don't understand why People don't accept the iPad 4 as "new big thing"...
iPad 3's owners angry because of the almost identical but powerful iPad after 7 months? Disappointed customers waiting for the new form factor of the Mini, thinner and lighter? Impossible to do now with Retina and batteries and, as already said, way too soon for IGZO display to be produced in huge amounts.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
You do realise that all these products are designed by one soft spoken British guy that's trapped in the basement of their Cupertino headquarters?

Between designing new products like the ipad mini, iphone 5, retina macbook pro's and new imacs, he also spends several hours a day working on an escape tunnel he's digging out behind a shelf of discarded Thunderbolt Display prototypes in the rear quadrant of building 3.

Give the guy a break.

You are that naive to think he creates everything himself?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
You are that naive to think he creates everything himself?

You couldn't tell that syd430's post is tongue-in-cheek, at least about the design by himself part? The "trapped in the basement" and trying to dig himself an escape tunnel are dead give aways.

Still, as per my previous post, we do need to give the guy a break, because even if he doesn't do everything himself, he does supervise all the other designers, and there's only so much supervising one man can do.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
You couldn't tell that syd430's post is tongue-in-cheek, at least about the design by himself part? The "trapped in the basement" and trying to dig himself an escape tunnel are dead give aways.

Still, as per my previous post, we do need to give the guy a break, because even if he doesn't do everything himself, he does supervise all the other designers, and there's only so much supervising one man can do.

With the millions he makes he doesn't deserve pity

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
Understanding that a man can do only so much isn't pity.

what he does is nothing compared to a doctor being on call for 7 days straight, please spare me what Ive does being difficult or even a fraction to the stress a doctor deals with on a regular basis

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
They didn't redesign it because they planned a March release? So why release it at all? To get some $$$$$, anything is better than nothing but I'm sure the Mini was the bigger seller. Obviously they hope for the best and the Mini probably shocked them to tell the truth which is why it was so hard to come by.

Who knows, seems as good an assumption as any. :)

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
what he does is nothing compared to a doctor being on call for 7 days straight, please spare me what Ive does being difficult or even a fraction to the stress a doctor deals with on a regular basis

I wasn't comparing Ive's job to anybody else's. I don't actually care if Ive's job is difficult or he has more or less stress than a doctor. A question was asked as to why Apple didn't redesign the iPad 4, and I'm just pointing out that one possible explanation is that Ive's time is limited, and he can only do so much. I'm not making any value judgements on what Ive's job is worth, just pointing out the effect of Apple depending on one man to oversee the design of all their products.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
To be perfectly honest, 2012 was crazy amazing as far as new hardware, even the speed bump of the iPad 4. The fact that something so thin and yes, light, can have a dual 1.4GHz processor is mind boggling.

2013 will be the year of software. Ive will have his hands full with that. iOS is in desperate need of a makeover since the competition is looking better and better with each passing month and iOS has been very stagnant in 2012 as a comparison. You can bet Tim cook is not going to have the same mistakes happen with iOS that happened in 2012. iOS 6 has been the most buggy release to date. Not to mention skeumorphism, which Jony Ive publicly said he hates.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
They didn't redesign it because they planned a March release? So why release it at all? To get some $$$$$, anything is better than nothing but I'm sure the Mini was the bigger seller. Obviously they hope for the best and the Mini probably shocked them to tell the truth which is why it was so hard to come by.

Who knows, seems as good an assumption as any. :)

Yup.

They knew people would still buy the iPad 4 even if they bought the iPad 3. Plus Lightning connector. Apple knows how to get its money from the faithful.

If they hadn't released the iPad 4...

Getting a bunch of people to buy iPad 3's with the old 30-pin connector as presents would just piss off more people when in March, the iPad 4 is announced with the Lightning.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Yup.

They knew people would still buy the iPad 4 even if they bought the iPad 3. Plus Lightning connector. Apple knows how to get its money from the faithful.

If they hadn't released the iPad 4...

Getting a bunch of people to buy iPad 3's with the old 30-pin connector as presents would just piss off more people when in March, the iPad 4 is announced with the Lightning.

You really place that much value on a connector, which for most people is something you plug a cord into and the other end cord you plug into your computer for synchronising or the wall for charging? I think you place entirely too much value on a connector, especially since the vast majority of devices out there won't support it.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
I can't speak for anyone else but I bought a Mini and hung onto my iPad 3. My 3 works just as well as when I bought it, it has never gotten hot from use, and I still think its a great device. I wasn't the least bit concerned when the 4 came out. I won't be in the market for any updates for at least 2 years, so hopefully by then the iPad will take on the thinner bezel, the mini gets more ram and possibly retina. In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy what I have now. Next year will always bring bigger and better in terms of upgrades. I don't want to get caught in the never ending upgrade cycle.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
You really place that much value on a connector, which for most people is something you plug a cord into and the other end cord you plug into your computer for synchronising or the wall for charging? I think you place entirely too much value on a connector, especially since the vast majority of devices out there won't support it.

Not really, but it could one of the reasons why Apple updated the iPad 3.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Not really, but it could one of the reasons why Apple updated the iPad 3.

That's my point - a feature that "could be a reason to upgrade" is never a compelling reason to upgrade a product, and Apple would know this, so there is something else other than lack of consumer demand for a new connector that some/most people don't even know/care about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.