Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
Hi everyone, I just bought an Intel 520 series, 160GB ssd. I would like to pull the 1TB hard drive from my late 2012 Mac mini (2.3ghz i7) and install the ssd in its place.

Every instructional video I see (ifixit, OWC) gives steps for adding the ssd as a second drive, but I'd like to keep just one drive and be done with it.

Is this possible? Do I need to use the repair kit that is offered on ifixit or OWC? Or can I get away with just using a small screw driver?

Thanks in advance!

ndriver182

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
Sure you can swap out your HDD for an SSD. The SSD will just pop right in place. I'd suggest doing a backup of your HD first by Time Machine or other means first though to make life easier. The only trick is that inside the mini there are a couple of different torx bits required to remove several components before actually getting at the HDD. Other than the tools required, it should be pretty basic. After you pop in the SSD, just do a Time Machine recovery or manually drag over the files you backed up on the external drive.

COrocket

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
Watch this http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/mac_mini2012_hd_l/

U basically stop the disassembly once u can access the hard drive instead of the dual drive video that takes the whole machine apart. The torx screwdrivers are definitly nessissary. The upgrade kits include a few nice accessories but I just went to Home Depot and got a $5 precision screwdriver set and just used that.

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
Nice, thanks! Seems like I will be able to handle it.

I will see if I can buy a spudger at home depot as well, and I'll be sure to make a USB-drive OSX image first.

Thanks again!

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
Awesome, thanks

Just one additional thing: I don't have an anti-electric static strap. What precautions should I take? Should I work on a metal table, linoleum countertop, or a wooden table?

I'm scared of damaging the computer.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Awesome, thanks

Just one additional thing: I don't have an anti-electric static strap. What precautions should I take? Should I work on a metal table, linoleum countertop, or a wooden table?

I'm scared of damaging the computer.

I've torn apart about 10 mini's without an anti-static wrist strap with no issues. Frankly, I can't remember the last time I worked on a computer with one (maybe in the 90's?). I'm sure there are those that will tell you they are absolutely a necessity, but frankly I see no point. Tap a door knob or some other metal object before you start if you are really concerned (to release the static charge you have built up).

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
I've torn apart about 10 mini's without an anti-static wrist strap with no issues. Frankly, I can't remember the last time I worked on a computer with one (maybe in the 90's?). I'm sure there are those that will tell you they are absolutely a necessity, but frankly I see no point. Tap a door knob or some other metal object before you start if you are really concerned (to release the static charge you have built up).

Okay, and working on any type of surface is fine?

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Okay, and working on any type of surface is fine?

I always put down a towel/cloth. Not because I am worried about static discharge or anything, but to protect both the working surface AND the pretty aluminum shell of my Mac Mini. Just my opinion.

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
Help!

I just started and the plastic tool I have to pry the fan connector off isn't doing the job. Can I use something with a metal blade to pry it off??

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Help!

I just started and the plastic tool I have to pry the fan connector off isn't doing the job. Can I use something with a metal blade to pry it off??

Doesn't the fan connector just pull straight up? If you are trying to "push" it off, it won't work. It just pops straight up! (I know I tried to push it off thinking it was slid on the first time and did a little damage to my connector).

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
Okay I got past that, lol.

Now I'm trying to seat the ssd in place and reconnect the sata connector, but it won't seat! If it seats flat down, the sata connector won't reach. If it plugs in, the ssd is tilted slightly upwards at an angle.

It's a 2.5" and I screwed in the 2 little screws like the video said. Maybe not screw the support screws all the way in?

Hmm

Yeah if I don't screw the back screws of the ssd all the way in, it won't seat properly either....

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
So it seems like its sinking down at an angle, so the grate screws can't make contact with the ssd to secure it in place.

Argh

----------

Can I put something underneath the drive to make it seat high and level to where the grate will secure it in place? Or will that cause more problems

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
Use a business card so the drive will slide into place along the rear of the case.

Yes I tried that but it kept sinking once I pulled it out. I finally tried screwing in the grate screws at a slight angle and they're holding, I hope for good

----------

Do I absolutely need to screw in the hard drive to the grate? Nothing I try is working....

I got it screwed in at an angle but now the three tiny screws won't line up.

This is ridiculous.

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
Can someone just tell me whether the stupid screws are supposed to go under or above the ridge? It seems like they are supposed to go underneath into those stupid holes cut into the black plastic but when I place them there they sink down because the stupid idiotic holes are too freaking big.

----------

Try turning the mini over (right side up) as you slide the drive into place. Sometimes gravity helps get it into position.

Ok I will give it a shot....

Nope, too tight in there, won't budge.

----------

Can someone tell me whether it's safe to put wadded up paper in there to hold it up, or will that burn?

What other materials can I use?

I'm at the end of my rope, I tried putting the stock HD back in and it's the same problem!!!!!!!!

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
This video at the 6:45 point shows what I'm talking about. You may have to slide the logic board back a little (1/2 inch) to give yourself more room to get the drive in place, then slide it back in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymGnXdwvabg

Another source of help.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+Mac+Mini+Late+2012+Hard+Drive+Replacement/11716/3

On the YouTube video, there appears to be a circuit board of some kind underneath the SsD. All I have is open space

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
Okay I got it seated right and put everything back together. What do I do to have it boot from that? I have my OSX backup on an external drive, but how do I actually boot from the new ssd?

niteflyr

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2011
Southern Cal
You can use Internet recovery mode to install osx. Hold command-r when you start it up to get into IR mode. From there you can use disk utility to format drive and then load osx. Depending on Internet connection it can take awhile. 4.4 gig download.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.