Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
AppleCare for MacBooks doesn't cover accidents so I was looking into other options. Square trade wants 399.99 for two years, is that reasonable? Do you have any experience with them? What else do people use to protect there MBP

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I have a personal articles policy from my homeowners insurance company. It is $60/year with a $250 deductible. It covers theft, loss, and accidental damage. It came in handy earlier this month when I lost my MacBook Air while traveling.

Ricanlegend

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
Bronx,Ny
There are something credit card that offers some protection, I think American express cover 2 years for theft or damage you may want to google it cause I think discover does the same for some of there cards
AppleCare for MacBooks doesn't cover accidents so I was looking into other options. Square trade wants 399.99 for two years, is that reasonable? Do you have any experience with them? What else do people use to protect there MBP

GHouse

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2012
Don't do stupid stuff with expensive equipment. That's the best damage protection there is.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
Don't do stupid stuff with expensive equipment. That's the best damage protection there is.

Accidents do happen though, and I think that's what the OP is trying to cover. Way to start off on the forums.

Blondie :)

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Prescott, AZ
I bought my MBP through best buy. They offer accidental damage protection. From experience, they honor it quite well. I had a liquid spill on my first mac, took it into best buy. They sent it and determined that it was fully dead, and gave me a brand new MBP. Couldn't ask for more.

GHouse

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2012
Accidents do happen though, and I think that's what the OP is trying to cover. Way to start off on the forums.

I do what I can. :cool:

You feel superior since you've wasted more time than me around here?

Though in all seriousness, not being a klutz with equipment that costs thousands of dollars is usually good advice.

b3av3r

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2012
Louisiana
I bought my MBP through best buy. They offer accidental damage protection. From experience, they honor it quite well. I had a liquid spill on my first mac, took it into best buy. They sent it and determined that it was fully dead, and gave me a brand new MBP. Couldn't ask for more.

Every laptop my gf has owned has had BestBuy accidental coverage because she drops everything. They send the item off for repair if the repair is less than the cost of the unit, might be a certain percentage of the unit's cost. If the repair is deemed too expensive they will give you a store credit for the original value of the unit including all taxes.

Typically you can go out to 3 years with this type of coverage. I think it is worth it in our case because my gf has a horrible history of destroying electronics. I haven't ever dropped or caused any damage to any of my laptops so I have passed on the accidental coverage.

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
I do what I can. :cool:

You feel superior since you've wasted more time than me around here?

Though in all seriousness, not being a klutz with equipment that costs thousands of dollars is usually good advice.

I hope you didn't join to troll...

GHouse

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2012
I hope you didn't join to troll...

I didn't, but when has giving one's opinion been considered trolling?

You people are SO touchy. I've been lurking around here for years and have seen how you people treat "newbs". It's sad.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
I didn't, but when has giving one's opinion been considered trolling?

You people are SO touchy. I've been lurking around here for years and have seen how you people treat "newbs". It's sad.

Not really sad. You seem especially deserving.

derek8314

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2012

I work at best buy and I recommend getting our protection plan through geek squad. It works pretty flawlessly in the fact that if they can't repair it, they will just give you another one with no charge. geek squad has their own website which you can buy protection plans from too.

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011

Cant wait to read your i dropped my macbook pro thread:D

----------

I work at best buy and I recommend getting our protection plan through geek squad. It works pretty flawlessly in the fact that if they can't repair it, they will just give you another one with no charge. geek squad has their own website which you can buy protection plans from too.

you cant get it if you bought it from somewhere else can you?

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
you cant get it if you bought it from somewhere else can you?
Doesn't look like it:
http://www.geeksquad.com/protection-plans/geek-squad-protection/computing.aspx

HOW TO PURCHASE

Purchase on BestBuy.com when you place any qualifying products into your cart and checkout.

IN-STORE
Purchase with any qualifying products at Best Buy locations or anytime within the product's return period.

That's the best damage protection there is.
Best is always highly subjective. If that works for you, great. It's clearly not what the OP is after.

runebinder

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
Nottingham, UK
Got accidental cover on my current Mac and will be getting it when I buy a rMBP next month. As I travel a fair bit with mine it's worth the cost for the peace of mind, knowing I won't have to face a large repair cost if something were to happen in transit.

Take it 399 is in American Dollars? If so it equates to about £246 so roughly £10 per month which is a little bit less than what I am paying currently. If you travel a lot or have you tend to take tour Mac with you then would likely be worth it.

You can be ultra careful with your stuff and make sure you do not cause it any damage, the problem is that you have no control over the other people if you are on a train, in a coffee shop etc.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
I see GHouse quickly made the banned list. Not too surprised.

OP, as far as accidental protection regardless of where it was purchased, it's a rider on an existing policy like homeowners or renters insurance, or Square Trade are probably your best bets.

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
There are something credit card that offers some protection, I think American express cover 2 years for theft or damage you may want to google it cause I think discover does the same for some of there cards

Amex covers 90 days.

Best bet and best price is going to be homeowner's/renter's rider.

Ricanlegend

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
Bronx,Ny
Again it depends on the card here's a direct quote • Extend Your Warranty - Extended Warranty1 can extend the terms of the original U.S. manufacturer's warranty for up to one additional year on eligible purchases with warranties of 5 years or less, when the eligible purchase is charged to the Card. Here's the website I got the quote from https://www.americanexpress.com/us/content/card-benefits/extended-warranty.html
Amex covers 90 days.

Best bet and best price is going to be homeowner's/renter's rider.

Pyromonkey83

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
I, like the first responder, got a Personal Articles policy from my homeowners insurance (State Farm). It costs me $55 per year for a $3000 policy on my rMBP with no deductible. I also had the same policy on my first 15" MBP (for $2000 of coverage, no deductible) I got in 2008.

When the display crapped out I reported it to my insurance company and was paid $650 for the repair (the cost through the Genius Bar). About a year or so later my wife accidentally closed a pen inside of the laptop and damaged the screen again. It also dented the top of the laptop and we also began having issues with the hinge. Apple quoted us $1300 and instead State Farm decided to close out the policy with a $1850 check and told us to buy a new laptop. Hence why I now have a retina. =D

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
I, like the first responder, got a Personal Articles policy from my homeowners insurance (State Farm). It costs me $55 per year for a $3000 policy on my rMBP with no deductible. I also had the same policy on my first 15" MBP (for $2000 of coverage, no deductible) I got in 2008.

When the display crapped out I reported it to my insurance company and was paid $650 for the repair (the cost through the Genius Bar). About a year or so later my wife accidentally closed a pen inside of the laptop and damaged the screen again. It also dented the top of the laptop and we also began having issues with the hinge. Apple quoted us $1300 and instead State Farm decided to close out the policy with a $1850 check and told us to buy a new laptop. Hence why I now have a retina. =D

WOW im going to call my homeowners

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
Again it depends on the card here's a direct quote • Extend Your Warranty - Extended Warranty1 can extend the terms of the original U.S. manufacturer's warranty for up to one additional year on eligible purchases with warranties of 5 years or less, when the eligible purchase is charged to the Card. Here's the website I got the quote from https://www.americanexpress.com/us/content/card-benefits/extended-warranty.html

That's an extended warranty though. I'm thinking it's an extension of regular warranty which provides no accidental damage?

Drawback to covering it on a homeowners policy then claiming every nick and scratch however is that the insurance companies can and will drop homeowners coverage for excessive #'s of claims.

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012

Warranty != Accidental coverage. They are two different features of the cards. Warranty covers manufacturer defects.

The other coverage, which only lasts 90 days from purchase, covers accidental damage and theft.

Both require original receipts - don't forget to save them.

----------

Drawback to covering it on a homeowners policy then claiming every nick and scratch however is that the insurance companies can and will drop homeowners coverage for excessive #'s of claims.

Only claim issues that actually prevent the laptop from functioning. i.e. drops, spills, damaged display. Cosmetic items you don't claim. I would hope there aren't many major issues that someone would have to claim for a $3000 laptop.

Between our four year old, our Newfoundland and my clutzy gf, I've yet to have real damage done to any of my laptops. Just some drool on the display and keyboard (I use a moshi cover).

desmotesta

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2012
I for one ONLY purchase items I can afford to replace without needing a warranty/insurance (minus the house and cars).

That is why I had to wait a few years before I could justify a $2500 laptop that did nothing much better than a $750 PC laptop. For me macbook pro was a WANT, a WANT I ONLY wanted to buy when I could truly afford it.

just my .02 cents

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.