Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
That makes sense, but what your saying is we're getting jipped in the UK & Ireland with the non+ service. ;)

Also if its just proof of purchase would a sales receipt suffice in a store for him I wonder? :)

did u miss the "inspection of the iPad" at the Apple Store part? ;)

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I hate to spend money to get it fixed, just to see him drop it again; I'm thinking of buying a screen protector and putting that on just to hold the glass together as long as possible. Do you think that will work?

I've done that with an iPhone. Yes, it works.

Also, check your credit card benefits. For example, my credit card provides accident protection for 30 or 90 days, I can't remember which.

PattyMc

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
I put my grandson's Mini in an Otterbox Defender ( he is 9 years old). He loves the Otterbox and I feel like it offers really good protection. I think that Apple will help out in this situation, would surprise me if they didn't, I have seen them replace a regular Ipad when a child dropped it within short time period of purchase.

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
FWIW, my 6 year old daughter dropped her 4G iPod touch (64GB) recently. mind you, she's had this iPod for almost a year and has had an ipod touch (and ipad) since its inception. in any case, she had a streamlined, snap on case which obviously didn't help with the impact with the sidewalk.

i tried 3 different apple stores with our sob story to no avail. i spent $199 to replace the unit. stuff happens. some 6 year olds are more responsible than others, but still...

PattyMc

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
I'm not surprised that Apple didn't do anything if she had it for a year. Usually has to be within a week or two of purchase from what I've seen.

Nychot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2011
I would go to an Apple Store and tell them what happened, I have heard many times of them replacing it if it has only been a week or less of ownership and especially if a child dropped it. If, and that's a big if, they replace it then make sure to purchase an Otterbox Defender or something similar and put it on it right away before child touches it! Good luck to you and I'm hoping that Apple will surprise you! Oh and it might help if you told them that you would purchase AppleCare + on a replacement...can't hurt to try this!

Sorry but apple isnt that sympathetic re cracked mini screens. If you bought it within 30 days call apple.com and buy applecare plus for $99. Then take the mini to the apple store. And pay $50 fir a replacement. It happened to me and apple doesnt give breaks on damage replacement. They know the screen is VERY thin and easily broken.

mark_wilkins

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2003
Sorry but apple isnt that sympathetic re cracked mini screens. If you bought it within 30 days call apple.com and buy applecare plus for $99. Then take the mini to the apple store. And pay $50 fir a replacement. It happened to me and apple doesnt give breaks on damage replacement. They know the screen is VERY thin and easily broken.

My experience is that you cannot buy Applecare+ after purchase without them physically inspecting the device at an Apple Store to ensure that it's in good condition. Their practice could potentially be different online, but I know that they're pretty much sticklers about this at the stores.

Edit: I just checked, and you cannot add Applecare+ on the online store unless you buy it with the covered device. Their page for the product makes clear that if you want to purchase it after the fact, you must bring proof of purchase and the device to an Apple Store for inspection.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
My stepson was given an iPad Mini for Christmas. He's six. I protested that a six year old could be responsible for a $329 device. Sure enough, less than a week later, and he's already dropped it on the hardwood stairs and there's a spiderweb across the screen.

I hate to spend money to get it fixed, just to see him drop it again; I'm thinking of buying a screen protector and putting that on just to hold the glass together as long as possible. Do you think that will work?

What does it cost to replace the screen on the mini?

I would worry that the glass will eventually separate with even the screen protector with another fall. And you know 6 graders they'll end up stuffing glass by accidentally picking their nose. I'd get it fix and sell it (or keep it). But 6 is too young for an ipad.

----------

Oh yeah let's all force a 6 year old into child labour to teach him a lesson for basically being a child (which generally happen to be childlike with things)... :rolleyes:

Seriously guys get a grip. The responsibility is on the parents / guardians to supervise children with expensive electronics. The OP was right to be concerned in the first instance, but I imagine had little choice in the end as the purchasing seems to have been done by his partner.

So it basically boils down to fixing the situation now with the added benefit of hindsight.

Get the Apple Care, get the iPad replaced, and then decide to keep it for the adults in the house, enforce parental control so that he can only used by the child when under supervised company, or sell it off and buy him something else.
Omg chill out dude. Wtf do you really think the poster is serious. If so get your IQ check for possible MR.

----------

Yep, you guys are getting jipped. Also a receipt wouldn't suffice. Apple wants to see the device and inspect it so you aren't abusing AC+. I have read of times that Apple will let you buy it in-store and then use your first replacement for a total of $150 USD for a replacement.

I'm aware as I bought my insurance online (not Squaretrade). Of course that's still being a little sketchy.

I got apple care on my iPhone 4 over the phone 5 days after buying it. I asked about bringing it to the apple store after buying it and they said its not necessary. I'd try that why not.

Nychot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2011
My experience is that you cannot buy Applecare+ after purchase without them physically inspecting the device at an Apple Store to ensure that it's in good condition. Their practice could potentially be different online, but I know that they're pretty much sticklers about this at the stores.

Edit: I just checked, and you cannot add Applecare+ on the online store unless you buy it with the covered device. Their page for the product makes clear that if you want to purchase it after the fact, you must bring proof of purchase and the device to an Apple Store for inspection.

Sorry but if you call apple on 800 line and ask to purchase applecare plus you can buy it that way. I've done it fir 3 minis and a couple of ipads at duferent times. They only eant to know the date of purchase to make sure urs within the 30 day window. In two cases they matched the lower squaretrade price. There was never a question re inspection.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
My 10yr old and 7yr old got iPad minis from me for Christmas. I picked up one of these in orange along with a screen protector. So far so good. I've been guiding them on how to take care of it such as when to use it and when not to. Meaning, nowhere need food and water and only use it when sitting down.

Nice work. As long as they follow along, the iPads should last a while.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Omg chill out dude. Wtf do you really think the poster is serious. If so get your IQ check for possible MR.

Wow funny guy...

My response was 'chilled', it was aimed at trying to stop the onslaught of 'get the kid to buy one' or 'responsible adults buy their kids these' responses that the OP had recieved and actually proffer them an actual viable solution to their dilemma and not fuel other posters egos by pandering to their narcasistic sarcasm.

Last edited:

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I don't know if there is a device that can protect them from kids that young. Oh they're fine most the time, but then his younger brother wants to play Angry Birds. Two kids, one iPad, zero understanding of the value of $329.

For those who suggest those dumbed-down kid devices, they're made of more plastic than a Kindle Fire. My nephew broke his within a few weeks. At least with an iPad you get something built well that doesn't require cartridges -- holy hell, is it 1988? -- and has more software available.

I hope Apple realizes the market for cheap iPads for kid use enough to sell older models in the future for maybe $199. I know it's not the same as those $79 jobs on the wallet, but it would easily be worth the extra money. Young kids won't care about lacking the latest feature, and $199 is a better risk to take than $329 or $499.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Its a mini. The screen and glass are laminated together. You can't just replace the glass.

I believe it's $219 to get your mini replaced by Apple, out of warranty.

Best solution = however you could buy Apple Care for $79 now and then once you've registered your device with the Apple Care, simply go and get it replaced under the extended apple care warranty cover.

Once its replaced buy a very protective case, or keep the mini for yourself and buy him a leapfrog....

This is wrong. There is no lamination on the Mini. Check iFixit tear down.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
The reason we don't get it over here is due to the ridiculous amounts of red tape involved with offering any kind of "insurance" over here.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
For those of you who keep saying a 6-7 year old is too young for an iPad.. You are wrong! My kids have their own and my 6 year old is very responsible with his. I have apple care + for theirs so I don't have to hover over them all the time... But my 6 year old had had one for 2 years now. My 2.5 year has had his for a year. No issues. I don't expect it to always be this way.. I'm sure one of them will break at some point but adults break their iDevices too. My kids play the educational apps, my 6 year old reads books and enjoys Netflix. Bought them a leappad and that does nothing compared to what they can do on an iPad.

Rhyalus

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2011
I got ipad minis for my kids (10 and 6) but also bought these cases with them;

http://amzn.com/B009PPR2H0

This have provided some good protection.

As others mentioned, it is all based on the kids. My kids have been great with them so far.

Get something to soften the next fall or bump after you figure out how to repair/replace it...

R

feelthefire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2006
FWIW, my 6 year old daughter dropped her 4G iPod touch (64GB) recently. mind you, she's had this iPod for almost a year and has had an ipod touch (and ipad) since its inception. in any case, she had a streamlined, snap on case which obviously didn't help with the impact with the sidewalk.

i tried 3 different apple stores with our sob story to no avail. i spent $199 to replace the unit. stuff happens. some 6 year olds are more responsible than others, but still...

You gave your 1 year old an ipod touch? If she's 6 in 2012 then she would have been 1 when the ipod touch came out in 2007.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
Ouch. Is there an Otterbox for the iPad Mini? I hear they have really great protection.

I have the Otterbox Defender for my Mini and really like it. I haven't tried dropping yet. IMHO a 6 year old child should not be given a $329 tablet, or anything for that matter. I think the most advanced thing I had at 6 years old was an RC car (tethered) and a bucket of army men.

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
I don't think a 6 or 7 year old child is too young. What I think is parents need to be more responsible and protect these devices right out of the box. Yes this adds o the cost, but now you have a broken iPad. Kids will drop stuff, you know it's going to happen, so use some common sense.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
I find it somewhat interesting that people are advocating accountability and responsibility for getting a 6 year old an iPad...then encouraging the OP to purchase insurance 'after the fact' to cover a loss.

While it sounds like Apple may allow for retroactive coverage if it's purchased online, it almost sounds like people are encouraging the OP to buy coverage and act like the loss occurred afterward...

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
My stepson was given an iPad Mini for Christmas. He's six. I protested that a six year old could be responsible for a $329 device. Sure enough, less than a week later, and he's already dropped it on the hardwood stairs and there's a spiderweb across the screen.

What does it cost to replace the screen on the mini?

You really should take it into Apple and see if they can replace it for you. It's a hard lesson to learn, but that's the smart choice. I wouldn't go out and buy OEM/generic parts for a device I just bought a week ago, that's wasting your AppleCare warranty altogether. Paying the difference for an Apple replacement is much better than having to fix yet another part that would easily be a free exchange from Apple - Ex. the headphone jack/home button stops working. You have to think longterm.

Having the screen just barely hanging on isn't going to work for a six year old, he's just going to pull it off every time he uses it. Put a screen protector, and then something that gives the Mini both coverage in the back and front.

mrkjsn

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2010
I have the Otterbox Defender for my Mini and really like it. I haven't tried dropping yet. IMHO a 6 year old child should not be given a $329 tablet, or anything for that matter. I think the most advanced thing I had at 6 years old was an RC car (tethered) and a bucket of army men.

We live in a much different world now than when we were growing up. I think that it's really all about training your child to know when and when not to use it. You set the guidelines just like everything else in their life. I want them to get used to these technologies at a very young age. My son spends most of his time on his iPad using the Solar Walk app and he's learning quite a bit out of it. Add to it all the other learning apps out there and I think it serves as a great learning tool for them.

Some basic guidelines I have for my kids and their iPads...
1. Not while drinking or eating.
2. Wash hands before touching them.
3. Only mom or dad can plug or unplug the chargers.
4. Only use them when sitting down.
5. Turn it off and secure it while walking around the house.
6. No taking it out of the house unless we specifically say they can take it.

Treat it like the device is yours and you're only giving them the priveledge to use them and you should be alright. I can't stress enough the importance of having a child proof case. While my kids has never dropped their iPads, I know that accidents can happen even to adults. Heck, my wife has had her share of cracked iPhones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.