Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
If you read the OP I stated that I already have the iPad 3. I am more or less unhappy with the fact that it has been about 6 months since I got this and now they are discontinuing the iPad 3 as a product.

i could not more than agree with you the iPad 3 was my first Ipad it kinds hurts to find a new iPad was released 7 months later with a new lightening port, however i want a mini so i will wait until the next mini gets a retina display my iPad 3 is still good considering it has a retina display.

Geekbabe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2011
He or she could have sold it when the latest model was announced.

The minute the 4 was announced Apple listed refurbished ipad 3's for $379, the resale value of the 3 fell through the floor.

I donated mine to charity, somehow that felt better than handing it & it's leather case over for the $250 I was offered for it.

webslinger85

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
t kinds hurts to find a new iPad was released 7 months later with a new lightening port

I'm sorry, i don't mean to be rude, but is that really an issue? The only reason you'd want the 4 is for the lightning port? Seems kind of silly to me.

I may have only had my iPad 3 for a few days now, but it sure as hell doesn't feel like an "outdated" device

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
People, your iPad 3 still does everything it did BEFORE iPad 4 was released. You didn't lose anything. You started losing resale value the moment you bought your iPad 3, regardless of iPad 4, 5, 6, 100. Stop whining about not having the latest.

Geekbabe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2011
People, your iPad 3 still does everything it did BEFORE iPad 4 was released. You didn't lose anything. You started losing resale value the moment you bought your iPad 3, regardless of iPad 4, 5, 6, 100. Stop whining about not having the latest.

Don't be disingenuous, the resale value took a HUGE hit months earlier than normal, people who rely on the sale of their old devices to buy help buy new ones really took a bath, particularly those who purchased LTE models or the 64GB configurations.

Oh! My ipad 3 doesn't do anything for me anymore :) I discarded it like yesterday's news, gave the bargain bin POS away :D

Last edited:

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Don't be disingenuous, the resale value took a HUGE hit months earlier than normal, people who rely on the sale of their old devices to buy help buy new ones really took a bath, particularly those who purchased LTE models or the 64GB configurations.

Oh! My ipad 3 doesn't do anything for me anymore :) I discarded it like yesterday's news, gave the bargain bin POS away :D

Technology moves fast. Apple needs to be competitive. We used to complain Apple's yearly update cycles were too slow. Now we complain it's too fast. The only people who cared are the ones who just want the latest but have absolutely no need for it. Why would you need to upgrade? Get real. People want to have the latest because it feels good. And that is pretty damn dumb in my opinion.

Btw, you must have terrible/nonexistent sales skills because $250 for any iPad 3 (unless it's broken/damaged) is really low. I just sold my friend's iPad 3 16GB WiFi in average condition (scratches, blemishes) for $300 and all I did was entertain 2 offers I got via Craigslist.

Geekbabe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2011
Technology moves fast. Apple needs to be competitive. We used to complain Apple's yearly update cycles were too slow. Now we complain it's too fast. The only people who cared are the ones who just want the latest but have absolutely no need for it. Why would you need to upgrade? Get real. People want to have the latest because it feels good. And that is pretty damn dumb in my opinion.

Btw, you must have terrible/nonexistent sales skills because $250 for any iPad 3 (unless it's broken/damaged) is really low. I just sold my friend's iPad 3 16GB WiFi in average condition (scratches, blemishes) for $300 and all I did was entertain 2 offers I got via Craigslist.

It wasn't broken or damaged at all, I live in a major city & craig's list was flooded with ipad 3's. The top offer I received was $250.. and that was only with my throwing in the leather case & the Apple care + plan. After a couple of weeks of wading through low ball offers I donated the ipad to charity.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
It wasn't broken or damaged at all, I live in a major city & craig's list was flooded with ipad 3's. The top offer I received was $250.. and that was only with my throwing in the leather case & the Apple care + plan. After a couple of weeks of wading through low ball offers I donated the ipad to charity.

I would have sold it for $250 and donated THAT to charity. Each to his/her own.

Geekbabe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2011
I would have sold it for $250 and donated THAT to charity. Each to his/her own.

I wasn't handing over a device, $100 Apple care + plan, plus a leather case for $250 to some Craig's List low baller. The charity needed the ipad & they certainly couldn't have afforded to buy one with $250. They have a device they really needed & will use. I have a new ipad 4 & the bill for it.. everybody is happy. Oh & I learned my lesson, if rumblings continue to get louder from reputable sources that ipad 5 will drop in march, this thing will get sold in Feb.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
I wasn't handing over a device, $100 Apple care + plan, plus a leather case for $250 to some Craig's List low baller. The charity needed the ipad & they certainly couldn't have afforded to buy one with $250. They have a device they really needed & will use. I have a new ipad 4 & the bill for it.. everybody is happy

Ok, if you say so.

Geekbabe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2011
Ok, if you say so.

You need to understand.. a couple weeks of dealing with Craig's listers really took all pleasure away from even looking at the device. At the time it felt better to simply donate it to a group who had real need of it, than deal with some cheapskate who was acting like he was doing me a favor by giving me $250.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
You need to understand.. a couple weeks of dealing with Craig's listers really took all pleasure away from even looking at the device. At the time it felt better to simply donate it to a group who had real need of it, than deal with some cheapskate who was acting like he was doing me a favor by giving me $250.

Or you could just keep it. Why keep chasing the latest and greatest? Buy it, use it and when it becomes legitimately slow/sluggish/not very useable, then upgrade. It still is the same exact device as the day you bought it. You've got be stronger than this... the world is filled with idiots and letting them bother you to this degree is just well you fill in the blank. You are in charge of your pleasure, not Craigslist, not other people.

clyde2801

macrumors 601

Yeah, the market's glutted with: a) iPad 3's, b) lowballers, and (you forgot) c) scammers who want you to mail your gear to Rwanda...

Geekbabe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2011
Or you could just keep it. Why keep chasing the latest and greatest? Buy it, use it and when it becomes legitimately slow/sluggish/not very useable, then upgrade. It still is the same exact device as the day you bought it. You've got be stronger than this... the world is filled with idiots and letting them bother you to this degree is just well you fill in the blank. You are in charge of your pleasure, not Craigslist, not other people.

I wanted lightening adapter to go with iphone 5. I've learned an important lesson though.. no more expensive Applecare +, no more expensive cases, buy the cheapest WiFi model & unload it as soon as there is a strong hint that a new ipad is going to be released.

----------

Yeah, the market's glutted with: a) iPad 3's, b) lowballers, and (you forgot) c) scammers who want you to mail your gear to Rwanda...

LOL, I got a few nibbles from people who wanted me to send it to Nigeria :D

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
I wanted lightening adapter to go with iphone 5. I've learned an important lesson though.. no more expensive Applecare +, no more expensive cases, buy the cheapest WiFi model & unload it as soon as there is a strong hint that a new ipad is going to be released.

Or just keep using it. Do you buy a new car every single year? Or a new house? Or new appliances? Or new TVs? AppleCare+ is only for those who use their products for longer than 1 product cycle or people who break their devices all the time. There are more important and more pleasurable things in life than owning the latest iPad. And I'm saying this as a die-hard geek who waited in line at 11pm the night before iPad mini launch day. :)

----------

You forgot Nigeria ;)

Geekbabe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2011
Or, get what you need, and use it until it longer does what you need it to do.

Again, I wanted the lightening connector & I bought Applecare + because the device was used daily in work situations where it might be broken.

I'll keep ipad 4 till the rumors grow strong that the next ipad will be released, if the specs are tempting then I'll unload this immediately to help finance the next upgrade. A twice yearly upgrade cycle is a pain but is doable, I'll just have to be sure to sell it in a timely way. LOL, I can't stand in line all night though.. for anything :)

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Again, I wanted the lightening connector & I bought Applecare + because the device was used daily in work situations where it might be broken.

I'll keep ipad 4 till the rumors grow strong that the next ipad will be released, if the specs are tempting then I'll unload this immediately to help finance the next upgrade. A twice yearly upgrade cycle is a pain but is doable, I'll just have to be sure to sell it in a timely way. LOL, I can't stand in line all night though.. for anything :)

I think this sentence was aimed at me? :)

Geekbabe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2011
I think this sentence was aimed at me? :)

LOL, yes it was! I am amazed at your dedication! How do you like your mini?

Btw, I hold laptops for around 2 yrs, I have no problem skipping a refresh cycle, happily using my July 2011 MBA, there's just something about my phones & tablets.. I like having the freshest devices.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
LOL, yes it was! I am amazed at your dedication! How do you like your mini?

Btw, I hold laptops for around 2 yrs, I have no problem skipping a refresh cycle, happily using my July 2011 MBA, there's just something about my phones & tablets.. I like having the freshest devices.

Haha I love it! I'm in college and that was the only device I used to study for all my midterms/finals since I got it. I use it all the time. I hardly use my MBA for most of my daily computing tasks like checking/answering email, reading news, watching videos and such. I actually had a very important class group presentation the day the iPad mini came out. Fortunately my timing was perfect and I was able to get my iPad mini and drive back to school in time.

I get that. I do the same thing for laptops. It sucks you only got lowball offers though, but hey life moves on and it's a brand new year right? Happy 2013!

clyde2801

macrumors 601

Yeah, me and my wife are looking at upgrading to the iPhone 5, and are looking at the connector issue. Then again, with my 9 month old top of the line LTE iP3 only getting (at most) 60% of its value when reselling, I'm not tempted to upgrade; guess I'll just have to deal with the different adapters. It's not like my 3 quit working or no longer met my needs after the iP4 announcement.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
I'm sorry, i don't mean to be rude, but is that really an issue? The only reason you'd want the 4 is for the lightning port? Seems kind of silly to me.

I may have only had my iPad 3 for a few days now, but it sure as hell doesn't feel like an "outdated" device

think about it like this
all those people who spent hundreds of dollars to upgrade to vista, and only to find themselves becoming the beta testers of microsoft's next OS (windows 7), how do they feel? It's the same feeling.

Let's face it, the 3rd gen iPad is a failure, it runs slower than the iPad mini. The truth is, the A5X simply wasnt powerful enough and apple still pushed out the device instead of waiting until the A6 was ready. One word: Greed.

Apple needs to realize that they will only lose more loyal customers if they keep doing this. Did i mention that the iPad's market share slipped almost 40% in 2012?

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia

Hey there

I think you misunderstood me i don't really care for the iPad 4 but i am wanting a mini as its smaller, lighter and easy to hold. i usually take the iPad to bed for study its a place where my mac book retina dares to venture :p the iPad 3 is a great device but too big for my taste will wait for the retina mini.

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
The minute the 4 was announced Apple listed refurbished ipad 3's for $379, the resale value of the 3 fell through the floor.

I donated mine to charity, somehow that felt better than handing it & it's leather case over for the $250 I was offered for it.

Poor baby :/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.