Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

opsuisppn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2012
Hi guys,

I am very motivated to buy a 15 rmbp until I see the short list of retina-friendly apps, let alone some are still fixing bugs. How bad do old non-retina apps look on rmbp?

Since rmbp is so new and only takes a small market share, it seems the world is just not ready for retina yet. I start to wonder if it would be wise to wait till retina becomes mainstream, probably the next gen rmbp and rmba with Haswell and HD5000? But it probably would be a year from now...

Happy 2013 everyone!

Jony

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
Nah man. It isn't a good time to get one. Just wait until the world adopts it. That is the smart move. Do nothing.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Its way ahead of its time, it will become the norm in the future but for now i would not buy one with my own money. I have used a few and its obvious there is not enough power to drive the screen resolution, so laggy.

opsuisppn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2012
Its way ahead of its time, it will become the norm in the future but for now i would not buy one with my own money. I have used a few and its obvious there is not enough power to drive the screen resolution, so laggy.

I think this is not a problem with 15inch rmbp with a dedicated graphic card.:confused:

Arcsylver

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2011
Chicago, IL
I have one and have been using it for months without any issues at all. Go for it you will be glad you did. Just remember to buy the upgrades you want now since you can't later.

opsuisppn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2012
I have one and have been using it for months without any issues at all. Go for it you will be glad you did. Just remember to buy the upgrades you want now since you can't later.

Hi Arcsylver,

How do you like the non-retina apps on your rmbp? Do you regret not having 16GB/512GB?

Jony

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
I've only used the ones in the Apple store but I didn't find them laggy, certainly the 15" with it's dedicated GPU would be more than enough. My 13" model (non retina) with an HD4000 graphics card drives the onboard 13" display along with an external 2560x1440 display with absolutely no problems. No reason to believe the HD4000 doesn't have the horsepower to handle the retina display. The HD4000 is miles ahead of previous generation Intel integrated graphics.

You could wait forever for the 'next best thing'. Just evaluate how much you need it! If you could really use an upgrade right now, then go for it. If your current platform is more than adequate, hang on and see what's around the corner.

Unless an update was right around the corner and imminent, I rarely wait on Apple. You could go crazy doing that. Haswell is due out in April, but that doesn't mean that Haswell MBP's will be available then. One might assume they would be available right away, but it wouldn't be the first time Apple was a bit behind adopting the latest architecture. That's the funny thing about Apple, they continue to be ahead of their time, ditching serial ports for USB long before Windows (in fact, long before there were really any USB devices! I can remember people having the conversation about whether or not to buy a Mac, because USB-only was going to force you to buy expensive and hard to find USB accessories!), ditching the floppy drive, all the way up to Thunderbolt and insanely high resolution mobile device and laptop displays. But, at the same time, they can sometimes take months to update to the latest processor architecture.

FWIW, I ended up going with the non retina, and here's why. The dual thunderbolt is the most tempting, and the display is gorgeous. BUT, I wanted a bit more oomph than what Apple runs stock. I also need a bit more storage. By the time you upgrade the SSD in the rMBP (you can't upgrade the RAM, it's stuck at 8GB, but that's not a deal breaker), you're spending a TON of money.

In my case, for around $2700, I got a 13" cMBP, 16GB of RAM, 2 256GB SSD's (which are in RAID 0, and thus appear as a single, insanely fast, 512GB drive), AND a 27" 2560x1440 Apple Cinema Display (that alone was $1000 worth of it). Now, in order to get an rMBP with 512GB worth of storage, and an external superdrive (which I have included in the above price due to purchasing an enclosure for my superdrive, there's another SSD in it's stock place!), youre talking about around $2600. So, for me, a beefed up non Retina MacBook Pro, and an external display, was a better deal. I'd rather have the Cinema display, than have a high resolution 13" or 15" display (same prices with a 15", just add $500 to each!) You might be different however. But I was really looking at it 'as upgraded', because I knew I wanted at least 512GB of flash storage, I just can't get away with a single 128GB SSD (like the rMBP is stock) and I don't like the idea of needing to tote around external storage. Of course, you could take those same figures and save a ton of money by getting the non retina, beefed up, vs the Retina beefed up, without the external display! But the way I looked at it, I get the high resolution platform that I wanted, in a more practical setup (27" vs 13" or 15"), and I don't need the high resolution when I'm 'portable'. Others do though, hence why they are probably a better market for the rMBP than me!

Even better would be a beefed up rMBP AND a 27" ACD, but, I ain't made of money ya know!

jeffsaha

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2011
I was looking to upgrade the MBP to an rMBP 15" also, but saw that Haswell may be around the corner so I decided to wait.

Also, I was debating getting another M4 to raid0 in the mid 2009 MBP while I wait. I only get sata II speeds in the 2009 so if I raid0 it should jump the read/writes. Still debating, but if a deal pops up again it would be extremely tempting :)

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I was looking to upgrade the MBP to an rMBP 15" also, but saw that Haswell may be around the corner so I decided to wait.

Also, I was debating getting another M4 to raid0 in the mid 2009 MBP while I wait. I only get sata II speeds in the 2009 so if I raid0 it should jump the read/writes. Still debating, but if a deal pops up again it would be extremely tempting :)

^^

I'm waiting for Haswell too....I will then replace my current MBP 17" with a maxed out rMBP 15" OP: If you need one now, then grab one, but waiting until June / July might be a better bet.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
Btw you don't see the pixels on a non retina-macbook pro. In OS X, all the text is bolded compared to windows, where you could sometimes see pixelation.

My friend has the 15 inch and 13 inch retina macbook pros (he spilled water on one and killed it), and it looks no different than the non-retina one except you have to go through the effort to keep changing the resolution for some reason. He said something about the icons looks better on the retina macbooks but I couldn't tell the difference even close up. I like the classic macbook pro's because you have the option to replace the ram, hard disk, and even add a second hard disk/SSD.

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
It'll be interesting to see if they keep the same pricing for the Retina MBPs in 2013...

I'm not holding my breath for a price drop for a while. For one, I'm sure rMBP customers who paid a $500 premium would be upset at a $1200 rMBP next year, and I imagine that may be a concern for Apple. I also think there is some level of cost issue with the components they are using, they haven't dropped in price enough to make it possible for Apple to drop the price of the rMBP.

I predict in a couple of years, we'll see Apple 'split the difference' and standardize retina across the line with simultaneously reducing the price (but perhaps not all the way down to non-retina levels). Some have already predicted the same, and happening in 2013, but I think it'll take a bit longer than that.

I thought I read somewhere that the 09 MBP had SATA I in the Optical drive. Do you know if that's true? If so I'm not sure you'd realize any speed increase, perhaps a decrease in speed actually, as one of your drives would be limited to 1.5gbps. Don't quote me on that though, I could be wrong, I just thought I read that somewhere.

It actually doesn't make sense, as typically a motherboard (laptop especially) will have just one SATA controller which will handle the same speed across the board, but stranger things have happened. I just thought I came across that somewhere.

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
No hope for even a 256gb standard ssd? If there is no price drop I'd hope for that at least :T

Anything could happen I guess. I just don't see it, I just have a feeling 2013 is not going to be an exciting year for the Mac platform. I think we are going to see Haswell CPU's in the rMBP, I think they are going to come a couple months late, and I think that's going to be about all we see and the price points will remain the same.

I dunno if I'm being cynical, but, it just seems like after Apple really ramps up a big major improvement (like the rMBP) they tend to coast for a year or two with only minor tweaks.

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
Six months ago was a great time to get an rMBP. But now is just as good, except you don't have the joy of using it for the last six months to look back on! :D

runebinder

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
Nottingham, UK
I'm getting one this month, refresh won't be at least till June and can't be bothered to wait that long.

Get 10% off where I work and 20% off acc dam cover so upgrading to 16GB is not an option for me, plus manage with 8GB on my current Mac with no issues. Decided to get the base model and the LaCie Rugged 256GB SSD Thunderbolt external as that will cost £250 whereas the 2.6/512GB model would cost me £470 over the base.

w00tini

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2008

completely untrue.

signed,
actual owner of product

SimonUK5

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2010
Hardware is outdated the minute it ships. Thats how it works now and thats how its always worked; and people seem to think that as soon as the new product or version comes out, the old one stops doing its job. If a rMBP does everything you want to do, then get it, if you want to wait a get a newer revision one it comes out wait. At the end of the day, the computer is just a tool. If it gets what you want done, if it doesn't. I'd look somewhere else. I ended up with my MBP which is a baseline 15'' Non-Retina, just as the retinas came out. But it doesn't mean it does still work the same.

If you want a computer now go and buy one and your be happy. If you want to wait, wait, but the computer is still going to do the same thing now as it will in 6 months time.

Daeve

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2007
Well I've no problem with lag (15", 2.6 quad i7, 16GB). The screen is amazing, especially when you sit a MBA or cMBP next to it - I wouldn't go back willingly. If you can afford it it is worth every penny.
I use it both at full resolution (for some science programs I use via VM) and at the "best for retina" res - no issues.

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
Hardware is outdated the minute it ships. Thats how it works now and thats how its always worked; and people seem to think that as soon as the new product or version comes out, the old one stops doing its job.
True, I guess Apple's always going to update.

cubbie5150

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2007
I was trying my best to await Haswell (also prefer to avoid Rev 1 of Apple tech), but my ancient, late 2006 MBP (2.16 C2D) has been acting up for months, and I just couldn't hold out anymore. I get constant random black screens & total system freezes (on Lion; forces me to hold down power button to shut down). I opted to go w/ an rMBP, 2.6 i7, 16 GB RAM, 256GB drive. Ordered this past weekend fro B & H Photo b/c I wanna try to avoid sales tax, and Amazon didn't have this config available. I chose default free shipping, so I likely won't get it till next week since I know carriers, God forbid, don't deliver ahead of schedule even though it could easily make it to me by Friday even given New Years holiday.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
Too close to refresh IMO - don't buy unless you really, really need it and can't wait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.