Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NYY FaN

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
New York
I wonder if they ipad 4 release was just a special case so that their entire lineup of iOS devices can be on the same lightning cable standard. Perhaps they continue with the annual March releases as normal here on out.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
I wonder if they ipad 4 release was just a special case so that their entire lineup of iOS devices can be on the same lightning cable standard. Perhaps they continue with the annual March releases as normal here on out.

Umm..nope.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
I think that view also depends on the capability of the "lower-end" devices and the need for "higher-end" devices.

My point was that even if the processor power of phones, tablets and laptops are exactly equal, consumers will want three devices--not one--as the form factors are optimized for different tasks. Whats diriving the market right now is that laptops are a mature technology, while tablets and phones are evolving. That and the fact that mobie devices have a sort of "fashion" aspect. Its much more gratifying to show the new mini to your friends that the latest--and largely indestinguishable--incarnation of the mbp or mba.

I think the reason APL stock is depressed is that the market is seeing foward to a point where tablets and phones have maximum penetration and mature technologies--and thus flatter sales. I see consumers becoming very blase about phones, as small tablets become a "must have" technology. I think the tablet development curve still has a long way to go, so I am less pessimistic.

Last edited:

Spungoflex

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2012
Why would apple do that twice?

Make Ipad out-of-date within 6 month. In future, no one would buy Ipad again.

The days of technology staying "current" for more than 6 months are over. All of the people complaining are going to have to get used to it.

Operating systems used to last 3 or 4 years before being replaced, now they get replaced every 12 months (both Microsoft and Apple are on yearly updates now).

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
The days of technology staying "current" for more than 6 months are over. All of the people complaining are going to have to get used to it.

Operating systems used to last 3 or 4 years before being replaced, now they get replaced every 12 months (both Microsoft and Apple are on yearly updates now).
Totally agree with that, besides there is just too much competition for Apple to do a 12 month iPad refresh. On the iPod side it's easier to get away with a longer refresh because the iPod still has a huge marketshare.

Spungoflex

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2012
I think that view also depends on the capability of the "lower-end" devices and the need for "higher-end" devices.

The processing is already faster in a top iPad than it was on a 2004-model Mac notebook. Aside from connectivity, the iPad has a smaller form and greater capability; however, the iPad's OS doesn't allow it to function quite as versatile as an older notebook.

Yet.

Processor development is rocketing for the iDevices. Within a few years we could have some extremely strong processing in tablets as the nm's decrease and power consumption lowers. Couple that with a lack of necessity for most people to own or use a desktop, because the tablets can do everything (sooner or later) that 99% of the market needs to do on a computer.

It will be a long time before we see desktops vanish. Probably never. Within this decade the tablet will be strong enough to bump off the tabletops in most homes, if companies are smart enough to develop the tablet as a desktop-mobile solution.

People already speculate that Apple could make a fusion OS in the future. I get the feeling iOS will overtake their products as iOS inflates usefulness, while the OSX platform will be wedged into "professional" computing. We'll probably see a full iOS-within-OSX platform in the next couple years.

If the notebook didn't kill the desktop, the tablet CERTAINLY won't. The desktop isn't going anywhere. A lot of people actually enjoy sitting at a desk while working, surfing, etc. on a large monitor.

kaylerrific

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2012
If the notebook didn't kill the desktop, the tablet CERTAINLY won't. The desktop isn't going anywhere. A lot of people actually enjoy sitting at a desk while working, surfing, etc. on a large monitor.

Maybe it didn't kill the desktop, but it sure seems like the desktop took a beating!

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Soon we'll just hook super smartphones with laser keyboards into monitors.

We're not really that far from this scenario, are we? I mean, our laptops are really quite powerful - I've just ordered a big monitor for my MBA 11" so I can enjoy the big screen at my desk with a quite small laptop that is actually much more powerful than my "long in the tooth" iMac desktop. Next is that we'll connect our tablets in some similar manner and use them as "desktops". The term "desktop" in the future will mean a monitor, keyboard and pointing device on a desk you plug some other device into - the CPU will be laptop (today), tablet (tomorrow) and/or phone (just a smaller tablet, right?). You could come home, plug your iPhone in and have a full-sized keyboard, mouse/trackpad and monitor that runs apps we only used to run on a powerful desktop. We're getting there and it won't be long, will it, till we see this? How exciting.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Idiotic statement of the month award goes to...!

Great pleasure to hear comment from Newbie who just joined the forum less than a month. I wouldn't say naive but maybe just plain stupid!!! and should have think twice before posting.

Search for old thread!!! and see how people react to apple cutting out Ipad 3 after six month and remove them from the store. Macrumors need to have approval system from new comers.

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
Apple had to release the 4th gen iPad when they did. Why would anyone buy a new iOS device with a 30 pin dock connector. (Yes I understand that someone might have 30 pin accessories, but it's time to move ahead.) My wife was harassing me to update my first gen. I wasn't going to do it till the iPad got the new lightning connector.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
Search for old thread!!! and see how people react to apple cutting out Ipad 3 after six month and remove them from the store. Macrumors need to have approval system from new comers.

In fairness, half the posts in those threads were negative towards that posiition.

radiologyman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011

The processing is already faster in a top iPad than it was on a 2004-model Mac notebook. Aside from connectivity, the iPad has a smaller form and greater capability; however, the iPad's OS doesn't allow it to function quite as versatile as an older notebook.

Yet.

Processor development is rocketing for the iDevices. Within a few years we could have some extremely strong processing in tablets as the nm's decrease and power consumption lowers. Couple that with a lack of necessity for most people to own or use a desktop, because the tablets can do everything (sooner or later) that 99% of the market needs to do on a computer.

It will be a long time before we see desktops vanish. Probably never. Within this decade the tablet will be strong enough to bump off the tabletops in most homes, if companies are smart enough to develop the tablet as a desktop-mobile solution.

People already speculate that Apple could make a fusion OS in the future. I get the feeling iOS will overtake their products as iOS inflates usefulness, while the OSX platform will be wedged into "professional" computing. We'll probably see a full iOS-within-OSX platform in the next couple years.

I agree. In couple years most younger people will not use desktops or laptops at home. Smartphones and tablets will do almost everything they would want from a bigger device. These bigger computers will look very outdated and awkward. I use my high end Sony z21 laptop only before sleep to catch a movie while browsing. iPad and iPhone are my living room devices

Last edited:

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
They must stick to this new cycle or they're going to create headaches for themselves. Three short lived cycles in a row could permanently kill the iPad hype machine. I don't think Apple is this stupid, and if they suddenly do become this stupid, we're in for sad times.

Pure speculation. If we get accustomed to seeing Apple products twice a year we may wonder how we ever got along with yearly updates. The product in the stores will always be new.

Updates twice a year smooths out the production cycle. Instead of a huge burst once a year the factory has two smaller increases to deal with.

It also helps Apple combat the competition. Not many can keep up with this schedule at the volumes needed to be a world wide competitor.

Note, I have no idea if Apple is moving to a twice yearly update schedule, though that is the rumor.

batman75

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
It simply cannot happen, and if it does, I may just lose a whole lot of faith in Apple.

No, not because I'll be all uptight about having my device prematurely discontinued, but because if they start getting unpredictable with their iPad releases, they lose the hype. The queues, the buildup, nobody really knew the iPad 4 was coming until it did (some people still don't know, but that's another matter entirely...). Hype equals sales.

If they make it five in March, it will be without a new chipset (A7X) because they must debut the standard A7 first, probably in the iPhone 5S which at this stage looks set to stick with its usual Q3 cycle. This means they would have to update the iPad AGAIN in Q3 or 4 to include an A7X, creating another year with two iPad releases, resulting in them having pissed off everyone who bought the iPad 3 in the seven months before the iPad 4, the iPad 4 in the five months before the iPad 5, and the iPad 5 in the six/seven months before the iPad 6.

They must stick to this new cycle or they're going to create headaches for themselves. Three short lived cycles in a row could permanently kill the iPad hype machine. I don't think Apple is this stupid, and if they suddenly do become this stupid, we're in for sad times.

I hope it does happen. It seems to me that the iPad 4 is a life cycle impulse (LCI mid cycle refresh). I'm hoping for a new model, slimmer and lighter with an iPad mini inspired design.

Geekbabe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2011
I'd be thrilled if they released a thinner, lighter ipad, my only concern is to pay close attention so that I can unload my current device early enough to recoup max value for it.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Updating the iPad every 6 months is a ridiculous idea. What would be new about it considering software updates are on an annual basis? Faster processor? New case design? I'm sure Apple spent a boat load of money on their current manufacturing processes (which Ive calls their most complex and ambitious). Would they really switch that out every 6 months? For what reason? To keep up with Samsung or whoever just came out with a new gadget? Stupid. I know technology is constantly changing. And I don't think companies should be 100% bound to specific release schedules. But this push to constantly update product in order to keep up with the Jones' is madness.

----------

Pure speculation. If we get accustomed to seeing Apple products twice a year we may wonder how we ever got along with yearly updates. The product in the stores will always be new.

Updates twice a year smooths out the production cycle. Instead of a huge burst once a year the factory has two smaller increases to deal with.

It also helps Apple combat the competition. Not many can keep up with this schedule at the volumes needed to be a world wide competitor.

Note, I have no idea if Apple is moving to a twice yearly update schedule, though that is the rumor.
Would Apple then move to twice yearly software updates too? I still don't understand this need to have new product every 6 months. Is there really that much revolutionary stuff happening in tech that warrant such frequent product refreshes?

Henry69

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2013
How can you even consider 6 months updates when everything is so obvious and clear with what Apple is doing... they launched the 4th gen iPad to bring it in line with iPhone 5's connector ( never really understood those people that got angry because Apple changed to Lightning... what, you suddenly lost your 30-pin connector or it stopped working ?! ) and with the 32nm CPU technology.
It's just a one time thing... until they change the connector again :)) jk.

Everything Apple does is to maximize their profits by bringing their products almost in line.
It wouldn't be a suprise if their SoCs will be divided like this:
Ax SoCs - iPhone, iPod touch, Apple TV
AxX SoCs - iPad, iPad mini

And what's the problem with releasing A7X before the A7 ?:eek:

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
It does not have to be six months all the time. My feeling is the mini is trouncing larger iPads in sales. If Apple rather not see this continue, well time to put out a thinner lighter one than current larger ones.

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2011
We're not really that far from this scenario, are we? I mean, our laptops are really quite powerful - I've just ordered a big monitor for my MBA 11" so I can enjoy the big screen at my desk with a quite small laptop that is actually much more powerful than my "long in the tooth" iMac desktop. Next is that we'll connect our tablets in some similar manner and use them as "desktops". The term "desktop" in the future will mean a monitor, keyboard and pointing device on a desk you plug some other device into - the CPU will be laptop (today), tablet (tomorrow) and/or phone (just a smaller tablet, right?). You could come home, plug your iPhone in and have a full-sized keyboard, mouse/trackpad and monitor that runs apps we only used to run on a powerful desktop. We're getting there and it won't be long, will it, till we see this? How exciting.

RIM CEO says in three to five years laptops will be history.
http://bgr.com/2012/11/19/thorsten-heins-interview-blackberry-10/

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
apparently he missed my post! Anyone surprised rim and microsoft are chasing a failed paradigm. Thanks for the link, though!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.