Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rob.G

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2010
Arizona
My just over a month old Mini crashes regularly. I've done the latest firmware update which eliminated the (unrelated) black screen issue, but since before that time, it still crashes about every day or every other day. I got to the point that I've stated taking a photo of the screen each time it does:

crash1.JPG

crash2.JPG

crash3.JPG

When I finally take it to an Apple Store, I wanted proof of what's happening, in the hopes that they'll just order a system board for it instead of wanting to keep it and "play" with it. It's an hour drive to the closest Apple store so it isn't something I want to have to anymore than I have to.

My best (educated) guess is a bad video card, as in probably bad video RAM. See all the little rectangles all over the screen? They flicker during the crash. I even shot a few seconds of video with it, but I'm not sure how to post videos.

I haven't yet come up with any kind of correlation between the crashes. It's happened during all kinds of activities. In a couple of instances, I had a video playing. This morning, I was ripping a DVD. It just seems to be somewhat random other than it happening usually every couple of days. I suppose today was rare too, since the thing had been powered off for a week while I was out of town. I turned it on last night at 7:30, and then about 16 hours later (11:30 AM), it crashed.

Whaddaya think?

Rob

Rob.G

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2010
Arizona
Hm. I hope that works. Just tried it because it just crashed AGAIN. I didn't boot from the ext drive yet though, as it powered itself on as soon as I plugged the power cord back in.

So do you think it could be bad RAM? I suppose I could pick up another set of DIMMs to try.

Rob

AC Rempt

Contributor
Feb 24, 2008
Did you make any hardware changes liking adding RAM? If not, take it back to Apple and get a new one. It's well within warranty, and if it's that defective, they should swap it out without question.

Just make sure to backup your data and wipe it before taking it in.

tejota1911

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2006
The Video RAM is just shared system memory. Its not separate. So, it could be bad RAM. Also, are you monitoring your temperatures? If so, what temps are you running when it crashes? Could be heat related.

Rob.G

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2010
Arizona
Nah, I changed out the RAM... two Apple-specific 8 gig modules. I also moved the 1TB drive to the secondary SATA port and put an SSD on the first port.

I guess my next move, then, is to put new RAM in it and see if that helps.

I doubt it's temp related, but I'll install something that displays temp someplace visible, since right now I have to go to the Dashboard to see it (iStat Pro). The fan has never been running when it's crashed.

Rob

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
I assume that the Mini ran OK in the beginning. Did the problem start after you upgraded the RAM and SSD? Things can go wrong with an SSD swap including damage from static electricity, a plug not seated properly, etc.

If you kept the original RAM install the modules and see what happens.

If you wind up having to make a trip to the Apple Store you will need to uninstall your SSD and move the original drive to the port it was using.

If you have to do that you might as well run the Mini for a while and see if keeps crashing. If it runs OK then it narrows it down to a problem with the SSD.

nicholaseb

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2012
I saw a problem like this on YouTube a while back, and the guy had the wrong speed ram. (The screen looked like yours)

Rob.G

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2010
Arizona
I installed memtest last night and rain it based on a post on one of the Mac blog sites (I forget which one), and it passed just fine. Had to run it in Single User Mode, and it took over an hour to make two passes. Seemed quite thorough.

I know I ordered the 1600 MHz chips, but I guess I'll have to look at the stickers on them closely next time it blows up or I care to power it down.

Rob

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I installed memtest last night and rain it based on a post on one of the Mac blog sites (I forget which one), and it passed just fine. Had to run it in Single User Mode, and it took over an hour to make two passes. Seemed quite thorough.

I know I ordered the 1600 MHz chips, but I guess I'll have to look at the stickers on them closely next time it blows up or I care to power it down.

Rob

I'm going to emphasize that you can get bad sticks with the right specs. Also I just looked at their forum again, and it still doesn't seem like memtest is officially supported for ivy bridge. You could have purchased the right thing and just received a bad sodimm. I would also like to mention the presence of the TIMG tags for large images:p

You have a good system. Try re-seating the ram and booting from an external HD

This problem won't be solved by reseating ram or booting from an external drive. It is quite possibly a ram problem. The integrated graphics share memory with the rest of the system.

So do you think it could be bad RAM? I suppose I could pick up another set of DIMMs to try.

Rob

Bad sticks are fairly common. This is why every time I post on the topic, I tell people to test ram as soon as they get it. I haven't found a memtest version that is stable with ivy bridge, which makes me sad. I would RMA whatever sticks you purchased. Say they're bad as it's the most likely cause of this in a new mini. It doesn't matter if they say they're Mac specific as long as the timings/voltage match the specs required by intel for ivy bridge notebook cpus. You can get bad sticks from any brand. They may be a bit more common on budget brands, as some of them are sold on very thin margins. I personally use Crucial.

Nah, I changed out the RAM... two Apple-specific 8 gig modules. I also moved the 1TB drive to the secondary SATA port and put an SSD on the first port.

Completely ignore the words "Apple specific" as a measure of whether the individual sodimms are good. I'm guessing you made the extremely (I emphasize extremely) common mistake of not testing it after installation. Usually I'd say something like 5+ cycles of memtest just run overnight. If anyone knows a good memory testing utility that currently works on ivy bridge, please comment.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
It sure looks like video ram to me too (in this case shared system ram). I second the recommendation to try different ram.

The other possibility is that you've exceeded the reasonable limit for number of dock icons. :D

jeffsaha

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2011
I agree with it being the video RAM. When overclocking video RAM on PCs you start to see artifacting similar to that when going too far. RAM swap test would be best. I also have 16gb Crucial RAM and have not experienced anything like that.

Rob.G

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2010
Arizona
Soon as I get paid, I'll head up to Fry's for some more RAM. Either that or try to RMA this stuff with NewEgg.

It just crashed again a few minutes ago, btw... again watching a YouTube video.

I'd rather it be a RAM problem than a system board problem. If I don't have to deal with Apple, it'll be simpler.

Rob

Rob.G

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2010
Arizona
Augh. I went to NewEgg to try to RMA it (turns out it's over 30 days, so I can't)... and found reviews -- EVERYBODY posting is having the same crashing issues. WTF. Lovely, there's $80 down the drain.

Edit: Back on the NewEgg site; the Crucial PC12800 RAM is out of stock; what do you think of Corsair ($99) or G.Skill ($85)? Both seem to have good ratings. Wish I'd seen the ratings on the Mushkin crap before I bought it. Fry's doesn't have anything I can use or I'd go up there.

Rob

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
G Skil has good reviews. Try contacting Mushkin directly. They are a reputable company.

SoCalReviews

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2012
I have been using 16GB (2 x 8GB) Crucial brand and it has worked well in my mid-2011 base model Mac Mini during the last year (16GB for the Mac Mini late-2012 is available direct from crucial.com right now for about $84 + shipping). However, it's not always the brand that matters. Unless the dual modules are a matched pair and are pre-tested in the same model of computer they are going to be used in then faulty modules can happen with any brand. I believe Crucial and OWC guarantees their memory modules will be compatible with Macs as long as you purchase the right memory for your exact model and year.

As it has already been suggested your best solution at this point would be to contact Mushkin directly. They are a well known memory company and should be able to exchange those modules. If you have not already contacted Mushkin for a replacement set of modules you can go to the mushkin.com web site and click on "support" in the upper right corner. It looks like they have a Limited Lifetime Warranty on their memory and they also have an Advance RMA policy where they will charge your cc and cross ship you replacement memory and then refund your cc once they receive the faulty memory from you.

Last edited:

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
So do you not have the original 4GB of RAM the Mini came with? Can't you slap those back in and check to see if the issue goes away?

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
Augh. I went to NewEgg to try to RMA it (turns out it's over 30 days, so I can't)... and found reviews -- EVERYBODY posting is having the same crashing issues. WTF. Lovely, there's $80 down the drain.

Edit: Back on the NewEgg site; the Crucial PC12800 RAM is out of stock; what do you think of Corsair ($99) or G.Skill ($85)? Both seem to have good ratings. Wish I'd seen the ratings on the Mushkin crap before I bought it. Fry's doesn't have anything I can use or I'd go up there.

Rob

If returning the RAM under the manufacturer's warranty isn't an option I would consider contesting the sale with my credit card provider.

You have discovered something important: always read the consumer feedback at online retailers such as Newegg before you purchase RAM and other computer components such as hard drives.

Cheap RAM isn't always a good value. I learned a long time ago to stick with RAM from Other World Computing and Crucial. Both companies have a long track record for providing reliable RAM along with having good reputations for their customer service. Every time I have checked customer feedback for the cheap RAM at Newegg and Amazon that is often touted on this forum I invariably decide that it just isn't worth the time, trouble and cost of dealing with potentially bad RAM no matter how good of a deal it may seem at the time.

Rob.G

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2010
Arizona
Yeah I have it here somewhere; but trying to live in 4 gb when you're used to 8 or 16 will be difficult. :)

Meanwhile I submitted an RMA request with the Mushkin website.

Rob

Rob.G

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2010
Arizona
Back to 4 gig! It crashed again not long after my last post, so after three crashes in one day, I had had enough.

Rob

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
Might be time to head to Apple for an exchange. Give the problem back to them.

If the problem is caused by bad third-party RAM it isn't Apple's problem to begin with, so returning it is not an option...

Rob.G

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2010
Arizona
Since I'm back on my original 4 gig, we'll see if it behaves. If it does, I'll assume it's the memory. I got my RMA approval from Mushkin, but no mention of cross-shipment. I'll just go ahead and ship out the RAM today or tomorrow and wait for it to come back; I can live with 4 gig for a week or two.

Rob

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.