Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomwalsh77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Blackpool, UK
As much as I love my new iMac, I have just noticed that the screen tilts down to one side. I have measured it and it and on the right side of the screen the gap between the desk and the bottom of the screen is 8.5cm and the left 8.2cm. I don't know if this is an issue where I should consider returning it but it is a little annoying as i have noticed it. Anyone else have this screen problem?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If you're unhappy with a 3 millimeter difference, return the computer

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012

3mm is huge mate. Imagine if you were a designer it would skew your designs a bit. 3mm up close is a pretty big deal.

----------

As much as I love my new iMac, I have just noticed that the screen tilts down to one side. I have measured it and it and on the right side of the screen the gap between the desk and the bottom of the screen is 8.5cm and the left 8.2cm. I don't know if this is an issue where I should consider returning it but it is a little annoying as i have noticed it. Anyone else have this screen problem?

return it of course unless it is BTO then I would be having sleepless nights lol

baxlobs

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2012
Suffolk UK
3mm sounds quite a lot, but first off check that the desktop is truly flat?

A small irregularity under the stand could easily tilt the iMac enough to give this error at the edge of the screen.

Before returning it I would want to check the measurement on an absolutely flat surface.

tomwalsh77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Blackpool, UK
3mm is huge mate. Imagine if you were a designer it would skew your designs a bit. 3mm up close is a pretty big deal.

----------

return it of course unless it is BTO then I would be having sleepless nights lol

It is a BTO, what do you mean?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

I'm not saying its not, my point is if he's unhappy with a 3mm difference then return the computer. There's really no other alternative.

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
UK

You come across as brash by putting it the way you do. As if it's a minor problem. I understand you might not have intended to come across that way. The alternatives could be checking surface of his desk, anything stuck to the stand etc, this is a forum after all and as an outsider looking at this thread the OP seemed to be 'told'.

Coffee Minutes

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2012
If it wobbles, I would return it.

Who knows if it was mishandled at the factory and put back on the assembly line. There have also been issues with how the screen is attached assembled. Not sure if your issue can stem from this challenge, but perhaps.

You could also measure the ones in the store and get an average reading. Maybe they all have some minor tolerance in lateral height.

Maybe it has to do with the way the monitor hangs or tilts off the stand? Perhaps this just needs to be adjusted by you to even out the sides.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
My 2009 27" iMac did the same. I'm not sure if most people don't notice it or what, but I'd imagine very few iMacs sit 100% level. My 2012 seems fine when I eyeball it, though, but likely it's slightly skewed.

Tri-stan

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012

Lines are still parallel even if the screen is not. When you are using a monitor you don't use the desktop as a reference point when you are working. It just becomes annoying if the screen is tilted so much that you can visibly see it.

tomwalsh77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Blackpool, UK
It's visibly noticeable so I've decided to get in touch with Apple support and they're phoning me on Friday so we'll see what happens.

spork183

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
Fix for problem:
AISVED (Automatic Integrated Surface Variation Equalization Device)
To create your own AISVED, fold small 4x4 square of flat wood pulp based product. Fold vertically along center line when viewed in landscape orientation. Repeat folds as necessary until measured thickness of product equals variation in monitor screen height. Using firm gentle pressure, insert under low side of monitor stand, equalizing height variation and creating an ideal state of feng shui.

Or, exchange it cuz' the screen is tilted... :D

bill phillips

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2012
3mm sounds quite a lot, but first off check that the desktop is truly flat?

A small irregularity under the stand could easily tilt the iMac enough to give this error at the edge of the screen.

Before returning it I would want to check the measurement on an absolutely flat surface.

yup put a level on it first

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
Fix for problem:
AISVED (Automatic Integrated Surface Variation Equalization Device)
To create your own AISVED, fold small 4x4 square of flat wood pulp based product. Fold vertically along center line when viewed in landscape orientation. Repeat folds as necessary until measured thickness of product equals variation in monitor screen height. Using firm gentle pressure, insert under low side of monitor stand, equalizing height variation and creating an ideal state of feng shui.

Or, exchange it cuz' the screen is tilted... :D

I'm using this product for my 2006 Imac. I would highly recommend it! You should be able to find a good new years sale price if you shop around. ;-)

spork183

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
I'm using this product for my 2006 Imac. I would highly recommend it! You should be able to find a good new years sale price if you shop around. ;-)

I've found the AISVED to be superior to the prior model, SOC (Scrap of Cardboard) which suffered from inferior adjustability and unsightly aesthetics.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
In all seriousness now :)D), I just used a tape-measure on my iMac and my left side sags just a hair lower than the right. Just like my 2009 did! :D

Doesn't really bother me since it's so slight, but it's there alright!

spork183

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
In all seriousness now :)D), I just used a tape-measure on my iMac and my left side sags just a hair lower than the right. Just like my 2009 did! :D

Doesn't really bother me since it's so slight, but it's there alright!

There are just so many things wrong with that post, but if the sagging doesn't bother you...:D

My G4 Imac had STS (Screen Tilt Syndrome©). My G5 imac had it. My C2D iMac had it. My Core i5 iMac has it. The one that bothered me the most was the G4, maybe because of that swivel screen. That said, if the OP can't live with it, take it to see Uncle Tim. He's not quite as hardcore as Uncle Steve (RIP) was.

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
To much fun on day off :)

th

Dan415

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2012
San Francisco, CA

Put a sugar packet under the left side? lol :D

Slow Programmer

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2011
Trade it with one of the people here that thinks it does not matter. I am sure they would be happy to trade with you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.