Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

CES 2013 promises to be very television-centric this year, with Samsung teasing a mystery TV product after reports that Intel will be be launching a set top box and cable TV service at the trade show.

The strong TV-focus of CES 2013 comes amidst persistent rumors that Apple is testing the waters with its own full-sized television.

Samsung recently released a new pre-CES teaser video and image of an HDTV.

On the company's blog, there is a picture of a portrait-shaped TV that is taller than it is wide. The television is depicted against an uninterrupted snowy background, possibly suggesting that the display is translucent. "A true innovation of TV design is coming up with an unprecedented new TV shape and timeless gallery design," reads the caption.

samsungtranslucenttv-500x311.jpg
The image is accompanied by a video that was recently added to Samsung's YouTube page. In the video, an array of standard 16:9 televisions are depicted, both flatscreen and CRT, before Samsung's new television is displayed, hidden behind a white sheet. A description accompanying the video again boasts of an innovative design.
"As Samsung prepares to unveil a new TV at CES that is unlike anything the world has ever seen, all the other TVs are rushing to see the new TV."
Samsung often reveals prototype products at CES, last year debuting its "Smart Window" technology, which featured a touch-controlled interface atop transparent glass. Samsung could be unveiling a similar product this year.

Multiple reports have suggested that Apple is exploring this market as well, though it is not clear when Apple will introduce its own television product. Apple does not attend CES and will not be making any official announcements at the trade show.

CES will begin on January 8 and last until January 11, 2013.

Article Link: Samsung Teases New TV with 'Unprecedented' Shape and Design for CES 2013

lotzosushi

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2007
I hope that's just a teaser and the new TV's won't actually be portrait mode... I've just gotten used to all these new widescreens!

camnchar

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
Samsung is very good at television/display tech, but they're not so good at disrupting markets with new innovations. We'll see.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
They make really good TVs so can't wait to see what they'll show.

But ain't upgrading my tv anytime soon...

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
Just wondering... if the display is translucent, wouldn't it spoil the contrast ratio? Wouldn't the blacks be bad unless you're in a really dark room?

Don't get me wrong, having a translucent display is an amazing technological feat. But the practical use for it, samsung will have to prove that this is more useful

Feed Me

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Location Location
Woop WOOP

Can't wait to get my fingerprints all over my SAMOLED Android 4.2 beta with 3D 52" Super Galaxy Inferno TV with SmartACTIV technology and WiFi with LTE from Verizon with Unprecedented(tm) portrait mode!!

Masterkona

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2012
So - They built a wireless Smart TV. (I'm guessing this is obvious from the emphasis on the cord?) . Given the amazing "cough" response from consumers towards the "Samsung Smart TV", this is sure to be an apple killer lol.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
I hope that's just a teaser and the new TV's won't actually be portrait mode... I've just gotten used to all these new widescreens!

That would be a stupid move. Almost entirely unlikely.

I think that they're saying that Samsumg will "upend" the TV market. It's probably going to be a transparent tv, that's why it's on a winter background and the tree shows through it.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
A portrait shape sounds counterintuitive given the alignment of our eyes and basic optics. :p We usually want landscape mode and that is that. But it could be a hint that this TV has a swivel, so for the rare times you do want a portrait orientation (especially rare given that you don't really read books on a TV), you have the option.

It could even be that the TV has a motor to rotate itself at the press of a button, or automatically upon viewing a portrait photo, without a user having to physically do it.

The part about semi-transparency sounds like fluff just to gain attention though. I can't imagine anyone wanting to see parts of what's behind the TV while watching a movie. Hoping to see the wallpaper behind the TV while watching Lord of the Rings and Frodo travelling in Middle-Earth. Nope.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
omg! need one to go with my surface table! Total Recall 3 just got that much cooler! Atually a clear screen technology could make current displays look like a collection of crts

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
A entire notion of a portrait TV is just flat-out stupid. The human visual experience involves two eyes, side-by-side, for a horizontal panorama. Oh, and there's that whole gravity thing that means everything reaches a horizontal plane.

Widescreen is biologically and scientifically natural. Narrowscreen is not.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I've had the same TV for nearly 4 years and haven't seen a reason to upgrade. I don't watch enough TV to care.

As it stands I watch more content on my iPad.

Masterkona

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2012
What Samsung is likely unveiling
http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1352122216

theanswerman

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2013
The answer

What you're missing is obvious. They SHOWED the TV on the billboard in the ad. And at the end it's clear the TV is not vertical… it is on a big stand.

It's an edge-to-edge TV. NO BEZEL at all.

No transparency. Who wants to see the wall behind their TV and pay thousands more to do it??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.