Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
REPLY TO ALL
it is possible for an ipod touch5 to bend. being that mine has bent itself.
i dont know HOW it bent, i just noticed a lighter area on my display screen indicating the area it is bent at.
i keep it in a 3 layer case so i dont know how its possible for it to bend through use.
i take care of it, never dropped it. rarely sit on it. im starting to the think it was my CASE that warped it over time.
if anyone has more information please let me know. thank you and i hope this was useful to others!

...you only 'rarely' sit on it? :confused:

Lol solid aluminum. It's like 1/32" thick aluminum and 1/16" thick glass. Neither of those are particularly strong without perpendicular supports.

So not significantly thicker than automobile aluminum body panels? Plane fuselage? The 'skin' of a refrigerator?

My seven year old son has owned one since launch day. No case...no bends, no scratches, lots of boogers on the screen, we are working on that. Otherwise, it's been incredibly durable. He owned the previous A4 model from 2010--& took excellent care of it. For his birthday, we got him the new one. It's a fantastic device!

And just a couple bucks for games instead of 30-60 (DS/Vita) makes the iTouch a real 'win' in our family. At his age and size an iPad is just a bit too big for him. We've got a family 'mini' that he enjoys at home...but trips to the cabin, airports/airplanes, and mirroring his games at home to the Apple TV, this thing kicks ass!

Don't sit on it! Don't throw it in a pocket unprotected with loose change, keys, etc. if you're going to be rough with it, buy a case. My wife and I both have iPhone 5s as well. She tends to be a bit rougher...hers is in a case. Both owned since launch. Neither has damage...nor have the other half dozen in my extended family. From engineers to teachers, lawyers, doctors and 'DJs'--we all work and spend our time differently. Couple things in common though...we all have iDevices...we all have kids, and except me (I'm 41)--all thirty something's. We are all very active outdoors with the kids: fishing, hunting, hiking and backpacking, camping and boating....point being the iPhones are 'used'. They don't sit on a desk all the time. These BS stories about bending are originating from maybe a half dozen repeat posters..., half of those without any kind of pictures or proof of damage. If there REALLY WAS a prominent issue of bending on an iPhone or iTouch, there would be Massive, Loud, and HUGE public outcry. There isn't. They're finally starting to catch up after two months with iPhone 5 sales. Many tens of millions of phones are in the wild....perhaps tens of thousands are represent here, on this very forum....yet only 5 or 10 claimants that their phone or touch just happened to magically 'bend'. BullShizzle. Aluminum is an incredibly awesome product...used for many years in the rest of Apple's lineup of computers...as well as many other technologies including aerospace and automobile production. It isn't 'soft'...and it certainly isn't aluminum foil. They're incredibly beautiful designs and very durable, just not very 'snot' repellent.

J

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Why would I buy something only to have it covered up by a case? It's like buying a leather sofa and covering it with bubble wrap. I've never had this issue with other devices. Even previous apple devices. Sticking something in my pocket with other everyday items isn't considered being 'rough'. I'm not throwing it across the street, backing over it with my car, dropping it in a bed of rocks, or shooting it with a shotgun. I'm putting it in my pocket :rolleyes:

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
So not significantly thicker than automobile aluminum body panels? Plane fuselage? The 'skin' of a refrigerator?
Automotive body panels nor the 'skin' of a refrigerator are not used as structural support. Plane fuselages are built out of much thicker aluminum than the iPhone uses. Aluminum can be as strong as steel at a lighter weight, but bulk is the penalty.

The original aluminum bicycle frames were built when steel was the only material used to build a bicycle frame. As a result, they took their design cues from steel frames. They used the same or similar thickness tubing as their steel counterparts. Those frames did not last long. They all cracked and failed (heat treated aluminum doesn't bend, it cracks). This is why they have to use much thicker aluminum tubing than their steel counterparts. Even though they end up using more aluminum to acquire a strength similar to steel, it is still lighter.

Aluminum is an incredibly awesome product...used for many years in the rest of Apple's lineup of computers...as well as many other technologies including aerospace and automobile production. It isn't 'soft'...and it certainly isn't aluminum foil. They're incredibly beautiful designs and very durable, just not very 'snot' repellent.

J

Are you trying to say that Al is not inherently softer/weaker than steel? It is indisputably softer and weaker than steel (when comparing molecule for molecule)

Last edited:

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
Automotive body panels nor the 'skin' of a refrigerator are not used as structural support. Plane fuselages are built out of much thicker aluminum than the iPhone uses. Aluminum can be as strong as steel at a lighter weight, but bulk is the penalty.

The original aluminum bicycle frames were built when steel was the only material used to build a bicycle frame. As a result, they took their design cues from steel frames. They used the same or similar thickness tubing as their steel counterparts. Those frames did not last long. They all cracked and failed (heat treated aluminum doesn't bend, it cracks). This is why they have to use much thicker aluminum tubing than their steel counterparts. Even though they end up using more aluminum to acquire a strength similar to steel, it is still lighter.

Are you trying to say that Al is not inherently softer/weaker than steel? It is indisputably softer and weaker than steel (when comparing molecule for molecule)

I'm very well aware of aluminum's properties. No where in my response did I mention steel or compare aluminum to steel. Al is used in fabrication processes that can't afford the weight of steel. Toughness is another characteristic altogether though...and I do believe aluminum is actually tougher than steel. It can also withstand greater heat...hence the use of aluminum blocks in high end motors. Cast iron, steel, aluminum, they all have their places...but no sir, I was definitely not implying aluminum is stronger than steel.

Again...they don't ***** bend if you're not doing something with them they're not meant to do.

@Tacticaldesire--not really sure what you're getting at. Anything made of glass and/or aluminum carried around in a pocket with other items can scratch. Whether or not you care about scratches is irrelevant. It sure as hell won't bend. Now...if you occasionally 'sit' on your phone or iTouch...well then, sure...I can see it bending.

J

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
I'm very well aware of aluminum's properties. No where in my response did I mention steel or compare aluminum to steel. Al is used in fabrication processes that can't afford the weight of steel. Toughness is another characteristic altogether though...and I do believe aluminum is actually tougher than steel. It can also withstand greater heat...hence the use of aluminum blocks in high end motors. Cast iron, steel, aluminum, they all have their places...but no sir, I was definitely not implying aluminum is stronger than steel.

It was I who compared Al to steel, not you. Aluminum has a far lower melting point than steel, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. It conducts heat really well if that's what you mean.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
Mine hasn't bent, but I'm careful with it - it usually sits on my nightstand as I use it mainly for ebooks and music when I'm in bed.

Outside I use a 7th gen. Nano which hasn't bent either.

AppleDeviceUser

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Canada
Seeing as how the iPod Touch 5th Gen is much thinner than the iPhone 5 and also made of aluminum, have you bent your iPod Touch 5th Gen? There are tons of people who have bent their iPhone 5 from normal use and I am interested to see if there is a similar problem with the new iPod Touch. The iPod Touch 5th Gen doesn't have the same big cut outs for the volume buttons that the iPhone 5 does so it should resist forces better.

You can bend it but you would have to do it purposely, I have used one for a couple months now and it's is still good as new (I treated it as I would any eletronic device, with care but not crazy)

----------

I'm getting a rattle from the camera area every time I gently tap the back. The aluminum is extremely soft. I have to keep it in a separate pocket from my keys, change etc. to keep it from looking like I sent it through a meat grinder. Never had that problem with other devices. All in all, it probably feels like the cheapest apple product I've bought. It's fine if you or others don't have a problem with it, but I'm just basing this off of my experience. And before anyone says it, the closest apple store is an hour and a half away.
The rattle is normal, I have it in both of my iPod touch 5s, I don't know what it is but it's not bad.

Boredathome

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2013
Canada
You can bend it but you would have to do it purposely, I have used one for a couple months now and it's is still good as new (I treated it as I would any eletronic device, with care but not crazy)

----------

The rattle is normal, I have it in both of my iPod touch 5s, I don't know what it is but it's not bad.

I believe the rattle is the power and volume buttons. My iPod touch 5g does it as well.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Hey guys, Apple is taking early approach to 2013 technology. Bendable touchscreen for both Iphone and Ipod touch.

I read on Ipad forum that Ipad mini also bent as well. Still touch screen usable even.

yocat333

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2013
YES THEY DO BEND!!!!! My ipod touch 5th generation is warped and I've been extremely careful with it, plus just got it at Christmas. I sent it to Apple and they will NOT do anything about it until they have multiple complaints....so PLEASE COMPLAIN COMPLAIN COMPLAIN and just maybe there will be a re-call!! If you're thinking of buying one DON'T!!!

AppleDeviceUser

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Canada
YES THEY DO BEND!!!!! My ipod touch 5th generation is warped and I've been extremely careful with it, plus just got it at Christmas. I sent it to Apple and they will NOT do anything about it until they have multiple complaints....so PLEASE COMPLAIN COMPLAIN COMPLAIN and just maybe there will be a re-call!! If you're thinking of buying one DON'T!!!

What did you do to bend it?!! I have had one since they came out, it's still mint and I've been pretty rough with it. Yes they are fragile, but it's a 4 inch touch screen what did you think! Could you post pictures and what you were doing with it when it bent? Because I don't believe you.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
What did you do to bend it?!! I have had one since they came out, it's still mint and I've been pretty rough with it. Yes they are fragile, but it's a 4 inch touch screen what did you think! Could you post pictures and what you were doing with it when it bent? Because I don't believe you.

I'm sure he probably put it in his back pocket and sat on it. Otherwise, he might have bent it on purpose to get in the news :D.

I own an IPT5 and I can't see anyway of bending it except doing something stupid or on purpose.

Note - If the poster had any issues with it when he bought it, he could have immediately returned it for a refund / replacement.

Last edited:

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
Neither of mine have bent, nor my Nano:

2013-01-13%252016.34.03.jpg

2013-01-13%252016.06.50.jpg

2013-01-13%252016.07.17.jpg

2013-01-13%252016.07.46.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.