Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
I hope Apple is moving back to the June launch schedule for iPhone!

Think about it: what is their most important product? iPhone. And their second most important? iPad.

It is important to have a good line-up in time for the holiday season and that's why, this year, they launched a new iPhone and new iPads in September and October, respectively.

They have had one problem this holiday season: supply! I think Apple doesn't want to launch any new products in November anymore (announcing them in October). And I even feel October isn't acceptable for them anymore. Think about it: iPhone 5 supply was only catching up in late November, early December — and they still didn't manage to have the iPhone 5 launch in all countries where the 4S is already available.

iPad mini was even worse: even now there is an estimated two weeks shipping time. That's bad, because it is harder for customers to "just pick up an iPad mini in-store".

I think they'll move back to the June launch schedule for the iPhone. This means that they'll have enough time to ramp up production for the new iPhone and then, by October or November, any shortages should have been reduced to a minimum and the new iPhone will be available in all countries where Apple wants it to be available.

iPad? Either early spring (March) or late summer/early fall (September/October). Probably September/October, so it is close to the holiday season.

iPhone is more important than iPad, though. Every two years, most people get a new phone. An iPad? For most people until it breaks down.

A look at history
So, when I like in the Macrumors archive we see this:

2012: iOS 6 first showed up in March 2012. The new iPhone launched in September. Five months between discovery of iOS 6 'mentions' and launch.
https://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/02/ipads-running-ios-6-0-at-apples-campus-showing-up-in-web-logs/

2011: iOS 5 first showed up in late April 2011. The new iPhone launched in October. Five months between discovery of iOS 5 'mentions' and and launch.
https://www.macrumors.com/2011/04/27/developer-sees-first-crash-report-from-ios-5-0/

2010: iOS 4 first showed up in December 2009. The new iPhone launched in June. Five months between discovery iOS 4 'mentions' and launch.
https://www.macrumors.com/2009/12/14/sketchy-evidence-of-iphone-3-1-3-and-iphone-4-0-os/

Looking at history...
Counting this month and looking at past launch patterns, than a new iPhone should launch in June.

Of course, this is all speculation, but the fact that iOS 7 shows up this early could indicate that a new iPhone is going to launch sooner than we anticipated. :)

Muscle Master

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
Philadelphia
Here's what I want to see in iOS 7...

1. Weather on the lock screen (at the very least)
2. Camera app also snaps QR codes
3. Vehicle mode - no texting if device is moving > 5 mph
4. Better POI on Maps
5. Siri SDK
6. Siri Translation (translates from English to French, for example)
7. NFC
8. Apple TV SDK
9. PowerNap
10. Split screen mode on iPad (use two apps at same time)
11. Real multi-tasking (per app basis, use Settings to activate)
12. LinkedIn Integration (especially with Contacts)
13. iCloud Printing - accesses printer drivers in iCloud to print on any printer on the network
14. Combine Newsstand and iBooks (Books, Magazines, Newspapers, PDFs)
15. Bike paths on Maps or Better Routing App integration
16. iPad style clocks on iPhone

I can honestly say I want almost none of these.

1-3, 7, and 13 sounds nice. everything else I agree

tekstud

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2010
What was so drastic about iOS 6?

Facebook integration does not count. ;)

Maps?
just kidding

I hope we don't get the stupid Samsung bump thing to be competitive.
The ability to take mags/newspapers out of Newstand would be nice- one less tap involved.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
I think it would be great if Apple offered two iPhones, one with the larger screen to compete more directly with the Galaxy S3, Note 2, etc. and another one for people who simply want a smaller phone. Say one with a 3.5" screen, like the pre-iPhone 5 models, and one with a 4.5 (or similar such size) screen. A 4" and a 4.7" combo may work as well. I know that now we can choose a 4s and 5 with different screen sizes, but I think the market could easily accommodate two iPhones with the most current CPU/GPU combo albeit at different overall size. Why not give us a choice? After all, we can buy laptops with different screen sizes. Why not the phones? Just saying....

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
I can honestly say I want almost none of these.

I thought most of them seemed good. Powernap doesn't make sense, multitasking is a no, but the others sound good.

Edit: Not the no texting while driving. I'm a rebel.

AppleMactablet

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2010
I have alot of faith in Ive but...

Widgets or I'm gone

(assuming that androids finally get a better camera than the iphone.)

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
You mean iOS devices right?

iPod shuffle - $49

Also, iPhone 4's are $0 with 2 year contract.

An iPhone 4 with a 2 year contract is just a loan with high interest. An iPhone 4 does not cost $0. You pay for it for over a period of two years.

A new iPhone 4, on Apple's website, costs $450.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009

4. Better POI on Maps
5. Siri SDK
7. NFC
8. Apple TV SDK
9. PowerNap
13. iCloud Printing - accesses printer drivers in iCloud to print on any printer on the network

Sucks for people who are passengers!

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
I hope Apple is moving back to the June launch schedule for iPhone!

Think about it: what is their most important product? iPhone. And their second most important? iPad.

It is important to have a good line-up in time for the holiday season and that's why, this year, they launched a new iPhone and new iPads in September and October, respectively.

They have had one problem this holiday season: supply! I think Apple doesn't want to launch any new products in November anymore (announcing them in October). And I even feel October isn't acceptable for them anymore. Think about it: iPhone 5 supply was only catching up in late November, early December — and they still didn't manage to have the iPhone 5 launch in all countries where the 4S is already available.

iPad mini was even worse: even now there is an estimated two weeks shipping time. That's bad, because it is harder for customers to "just pick up an iPad mini in-store".

I think they'll move back to the June launch schedule for the iPhone. This means that they'll have enough time to ramp up production for the new iPhone and then, by October or November, any shortages should have been reduced to a minimum and the new iPhone will be available in all countries where Apple wants it to be available.

iPad? Either early spring (March) or late summer/early fall (September/October). Probably September/October, so it is close to the holiday season.

iPhone is more important than iPad, though. Every two years, most people get a new phone. An iPad? For most people until it breaks down.

A look at history
So, when I like in the Macrumors archive we see this:

2012: iOS 6 first showed up in March 2012. The new iPhone launched in September. Five months between discovery of iOS 6 'mentions' and launch.
https://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/02/ipads-running-ios-6-0-at-apples-campus-showing-up-in-web-logs/

2011: iOS 5 first showed up in late April 2011. The new iPhone launched in October. Five months between discovery of iOS 5 'mentions' and and launch.
https://www.macrumors.com/2011/04/27/developer-sees-first-crash-report-from-ios-5-0/

2010: iOS 4 first showed up in December 2009. The new iPhone launched in June. Five months between discovery iOS 4 'mentions' and launch.
https://www.macrumors.com/2009/12/14/sketchy-evidence-of-iphone-3-1-3-and-iphone-4-0-os/

Looking at history...
Counting this month and looking at past launch patterns, than a new iPhone should launch in June.

Of course, this is all speculation, but the fact that iOS 7 shows up this early could indicate that a new iPhone is going to launch sooner than we anticipated. :)

"Of course, this is all speculation, but the fact that iOS 7 shows up this early could indicate that a new iPhone is going to launch sooner than we anticipated."

You make a good case. If that's the case then the Beta of iOS 7 would have to show up in Spring for a new iPhone to be released in Summer. Guess we won't know until March.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009

4. Better POI on Maps
5. Siri SDK
7. NFC
8. Apple TV SDK
9. PowerNap

power nap? really? so your iPhone doesn't already update necessary information when the screen is off? you must have purchased a chinese knock-off :rolleyes:

Constable Odo

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2008
I guess I'm in the minority of people who thinks Apple shouldn't be slaves to a 12 month release cycle. The iPhone 5 is amazing in terms of its hardware and it would be great if they just kept releasing new phones as and when they develop the technology for it, to keep everybody else on their toes.

The problem with releasing a new iPhone at this time, of course, will be 'what to call it' … the naming could get a little silly and confuse consumers.

Needless to say, I'll wait until 2014 to get my iPhone 8S ;)

All the pundits feel that Apple has to put out a new smartphone each time a new Android smartphone comes out. They feel that Apple should definitely be a slave to Samsung to match the Galaxy S feature for feature. The pundits claim that if Apple fails to put in any feature the Galaxy S line already has, then the iPhone is falling miserably behind the Android crowd. Since there must be about five or six large Android smartphone vendors, then Apple would have to put out a new iPhone every couple of months in order to "keep up".

I honestly don't get why Apple should have to follow whatever the Android vendors do. As long as the iPhone is in high demand, what's the point. That would be like Porsche needing to design a new Carrera each time Toyota comes out with a new vehicle.

A carrier contract usually lasts for two years, so why would most consumers want to change smartphones every few months just to keep up with the latest features. What makes tech pundits so stupid when it comes to understanding consumers. A year or fifteen months should be just fine as a production cycle for the iPhone. Since Apple sells the iPhone in such high production quantities, I think Apple can get the most bang for the buck over a longer period of production time. I just don't understand the need for average consumers to be constantly swapping smartphones to stay on the cutting edge. Apple has no need to be a slave to the rest of the smartphone industry or Wall Street as far as production schedules are concerned.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
An iPhone 4 with a 2 year contract is just a loan with high interest. An iPhone 4 does not cost $0. You pay for it for over a period of two years.

A new iPhone 4, on Apple's website, costs $450.

If your calculating like that its kinda unfair to calculate the data plan every month for a smartphone because its required.

If you look at it from that way yes, but look at it regularly. You can get an iPhone as cheap as $0 and an iPad as cheap as $330 (Mini).

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
Apple is now run by a bunch of execs that only have the word 'retirement' on their minds, dont expect ios 7 to be any better than ios 6

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Apple is now run by a bunch of execs that only have the word 'retirement' on their minds, dont expect ios 7 to be any better than ios 6

Other than some inevitable glitches and slowdowns iOS 6 has been fine for me. I think some of you all are assuming that everyone feels the way you do.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
iPad mini 2 - March
iPhone 5S - June
iPad 5 - October?

or possibly iPad 5 in March, iPhone 5S or 6 in June and iPad mini 2 soon after (July, just in time for back to school sales)??? It's probably a long-shot that we get a redesigned iPhone, or possibly two different models, one with a 4" display and one with a 4.8" display. However, after three iPads released in one year, who knows what's possible with Apple in 2013??? A slightly upgraded 5S would be another meh moment for Apple.

As for iOS 7, again hopefully not another meh moment for Apple like iOS 6.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
All the pundits feel that Apple has to put out a new smartphone each time a new Android smartphone comes out. They feel that Apple should definitely be a slave to Samsung to match the Galaxy S feature for feature. The pundits claim that if Apple fails to put in any feature the Galaxy S line already has, then the iPhone is falling miserably behind the Android crowd. Since there must be about five or six large Android smartphone vendors, then Apple would have to put out a new iPhone every couple of months in order to "keep up".

I honestly don't get why Apple should have to follow whatever the Android vendors do. As long as the iPhone is in high demand, what's the point. That would be like Porsche needing to design a new Carrera each time Toyota comes out with a new vehicle.

A carrier contract usually lasts for two years, so why would most consumers want to change smartphones every few months just to keep up with the latest features. What makes tech pundits so stupid when it comes to understanding consumers. A year or fifteen months should be just fine as a production cycle for the iPhone. Since Apple sells the iPhone in such high production quantities, I think Apple can get the most bang for the buck over a longer period of production time. I just don't understand the need for average consumers to be constantly swapping smartphones to stay on the cutting edge. Apple has no need to be a slave to the rest of the smartphone industry or Wall Street as far as production schedules are concerned.

it's simple really...people's phone contracts last 2 years, but tech pundits cant wait that long to offer their 'professional comments' because they need money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.