Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Haifisch

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2012
I'm sure its in here somewhere.. but at 57 pages I just can't meander through it all.

But, how are the Speck hard cases (SeeThru/Satin) with heat dissipation? I've been going naked with my rMBP for quite some time and I haven't gotten a scratch yet.. but I really want to protect it. The problem is finding the right case. I was planning on getting a sleeve AND a hard case, preferably the Speck brand. I like the look, I like the design, I'm just worried about heat. With these Retinas, we know heat is a potentially major issue and I've been warned that the wrong case could cause overheating.

I ended up returning my Speck Smartshell because of heat. Even when playing Angry Birds, the area above the F keys got hot so I'm concerned about dissipation. Now, my rMBP is nekkid. It's not that the cptr will run cooler without the shell, but it's just for peace of mind.

hface119

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
Right... it's supposed to run at a certain temperature, but I feel as though the fans were designed a certain way and any additional casing could influence the amount of heat actively being dispersed. It may not be something that is noticed right away, but use over time could affect the longevity of the device.

I do see the Speck cases have cutouts for where the fans are, but nonetheless I'm skeptical.

desmotesta

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2012
I'm sure its in here somewhere.. but at 57 pages I just can't meander through it all.

But, how are the Speck hard cases (SeeThru/Satin) with heat dissipation? I've been going naked with my rMBP for quite some time and I haven't gotten a scratch yet.. but I really want to protect it. The problem is finding the right case. I was planning on getting a sleeve AND a hard case, preferably the Speck brand. I like the look, I like the design, I'm just worried about heat. With these Retinas, we know heat is a potentially major issue and I've been warned that the wrong case could cause overheating.

Heat is a non issue for me so far.

I did 2 hours od HD video rendering/processing and the temps were 178-190 (which is normal).

Since the cover does not "block off" ANY of the intake-exhaust ports the only heat "issue there can be is that the outer aluminim cover isn't/wouldn't cool as quickly as without Speck cover.

The more important things is the real temperature of the internals, which I keep an eye on and raise fan speed if needed.

Jack9034

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2011
What is a better brand for the 15" rMBP? Incipio or Speck. I had black on my old MBP but this time I wanted to try the frost color. What do you guys think I should get? Black Speck or Frost Incipio?

kfscoll

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2009
What is a better brand for the 15" rMBP? Incipio or Speck. I had black on my old MBP but this time I wanted to try the frost color. What do you guys think I should get? Black Speck or Frost Incipio?

What difference does it make what other people tell you to do? If you want to try something different, then get the Frost Incipio. That's what I'll be getting (I have a clear rubberized Kuzy case right now) once I can find one in stock.

Jack9034

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2011
What difference does it make what other people tell you to do? If you want to try something different, then get the Frost Incipio. That's what I'll be getting (I have a clear rubberized Kuzy case right now) once I can find one in stock.

Well I actually wanted to know what other people thought and I wanted to know what brand was more recommended. I'm sorry if that was such a crime...

kfscoll

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2009
Well I actually wanted to know what other people thought and I wanted to know what brand was more recommended. I'm sorry if that was such a crime...
Speck vs. Incipio is six of one vs. a half-dozen of the other. I'd say both brands are equally well-respected. Just go with the one you think looks better (that's what I thought you were originally asking for help with). My Kuzy case looks fantastic since it's matte-clear; you can still see the color of the rMBP right through it. I haven't had any problems with it, but I trust the Incipio brand more than I do Kuzy -- I just hope the Incipio looks as good as the Kuzy does.

kahuna0k

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2012
Just to let you know that Targus 13.1 - 14.1 (TBB45402EU, http://www.targus.com/uk/product_details.asp?sku=TBB45402EU) is a perfect fit for the rMBP 15", has a special space for ipad or other tablets and lots of well organized spaces and being a 13.1-14.1 is quite small and light. I have switched from a Brenthaven slim backpack as I didn't really trust the side zip fastener and I'm really really happy.

Regards

Vrasteophwaaagh

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2012
This was the exact problem I experienced with my 2007 MBP: excessive heat bottle-necked by a plastic Speck case, combined with keeping the battery plugged in, resulted in expansion that damaged the logic board of my computer, shortened its life and added scratches rather than protecting it from them. That was the last hardshell case I'll ever use with a laptop. It's silicone (used occasionally) or skins from now on.

Right... it's supposed to run at a certain temperature, but I feel as though the fans were designed a certain way and any additional casing could influence the amount of heat actively being dispersed. It may not be something that is noticed right away, but use over time could affect the longevity of the device.

I do see the Speck cases have cutouts for where the fans are, but nonetheless I'm skeptical.

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
Bought the Incase Neoprene blue sleeve and am really happy about it. The 15" rMBP fits perfectly and it's really simple but beautiful. £30.

sordan

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2011
anybody have any experience with the Speck Satin case in the "Amethyst" color? Looks good but I'd like to see a real-world photo before purchasing.

richnyc

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2012
NYC
Jut adding my two pennies: I got the Speck See-thru-satin case a couple weeks ago for my 2012 13" cMBP. It works perfectly, don't have any issues with heat dissipation as I have replaced the biggest culprit, the internal HDD, with a SSD. LOVE IT!!!

JoeBob053

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2013
Sleeve

It seems as though there are tons of sleeves out there. I just want a neoprene sleeve possibly with a pocket for cables or flash drives. Something simple that will fit a MacBook Pro Retina display 15 inch. Any recommendations?

It seems like there is something big wrong with each one. HEELLLLPPPPP haha.

Thanks

Fleer

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2013
Thule works fine

Having read this entire thread from pp. 1 to 57, I'm still hesitant to buy anything.

SUMMARY​

Among the relatively inexpensive options, the Incase Terra Sleeve seems least problematic. People report that they like the fit, but also that it doesn't damage their new toy. (It's also nice that the case opens vertically, which allows one's laptop to be charged without being taken out of the sleeve.)

Video showing the fit of the rMBP 15" in the original MBP 15" Terra Sleeve

Apparently, the zipper teeth of the booq Mambo Sleeve either did or might scratch the surface of someone's rMBP, knocking it from second on my list to the very bottom.

Additionally, the snaps on certain of the cases (the WaterField City Slicker and the Outback, and various etsy offerings) make me nervous because of the pressure and indentations which tend to become more pronounced as the snaps are used and the material flattens over time. Pressure and heat are two of the laptop's main enemies (not including moisture and dust).

I could settle for the Terra Sleeve or pony up for the Hard Graft, Hook Case or Pack & Smooch, but none of those are actually what I'm looking for.

HERE'S WHAT I WANT​

Like a certain gentleman on this thread who asked for the same thing and kept getting shouted down, I've wanted a soft case which could -- if I needed it to -- remain attached to my rMBP 15".

So far, no one has made something like the booq Viper Case specifically for the Retina iterations of the MBP, but I'm starting to wonder whether that isn't a good thing with booq.

Another possibility: the Thule 15" Sleeve, providing it actually fits the Retina 15". At least one person on this thread has vouched for the fit of the Thule; any others?

One problem with the Thule: Several customers have reported the zipper is easily broken.

(These pictures make the cases look the same, but from the outside, they're very different. For one thing, the Thule's a hard case and the Viper's outer layer is fabric.)

And BTW: The Viper and Thule Sleeves are exactly the same price -- $49.95 -- and the Terra's $44.95. There's also the booq Cobra Hardcase -- a bit more of a gamble -- at $129.

Initially, people were worried that older cases would be too loose, but recent issues with the fitted Mambo make me wonder whether the Cobra and Viper cases might even be a better fit the 15" Retina MBP. However, if someone owns one of those cases already and has tried it, then why should I or anyone else experiment?

Skins and hard shells can result in extra heat and/or fan blockage, and hard shells can also scratch the aluminum -- I know this from years of past experience with Speck and other models and earlier Apple iterations.

Yes, I could protect the mac from the case that's supposed to protect it by fitting it with a skin, but the possibility of damage to my laptop from heat and bad airflow would then be increased.

Someone asked why anyone would want to risk the heat aspect of a case that could be worn. I would answer that, in certain situations, you need it but in most you'd simply use it as a sleeve. Therefore you'd avoid the constancy of heat without sacrificing extra protection when you needed it.

Have I managed to justify the kind of case I'm looking for?

QUESTION​

Has anyone tried the Viper Case with their rMBP and can they comment on it? If not, are there any soft cases which are neither sleeves, bags nor skins and, if so, can anyone recommend a few?

BTW​

Props to the lady who confected her own bag in the manner of Pack & Smooch. Well done, well done.

And thanks to everyone for all the information spread out across this thread.

Thanks for a great post.
To help you out, I can confirm that the Thule also fits the retina MBP nicely, without any excess bulk. By the way, this case is not really a hard case, but quite similar to the classic Booq one, albeit

----------

I can confirm that the Thule also fits the retina MBP nicely, without any excess bulk. By the way, this case is not really a hard case, but quite similar to the classic Booq one, albeit not in fabric but a nice kind of rubber. I also own a few Booq sleeves but do prefer the Thule in this case.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
Just received my Bluecell sleeve for my rMBP 15". I have a good laptop bag with padding inside so just wanted a sleeve.

I was surprised by its very good quality and price!

It looks thin but has a nice memory foam sort of material around it so it offers some cushioning. And the fit is perfect. Not too tight, not too loose. Just right!

For $8.99, you cant beat that.

It also came with a little velcro, I am assuming for the AC adaptor.

The picture in the Amazon site doesn't do any justice to the actual product.

http://www.amazon.com/Bluecell-Blac...1&keywords=bluecell+retina+macbook+pro+sleeve

AquaBear

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2011
New rMBP sleeve from Etsy

Hey all,

I recently received an rMBP as a gift, and it's been good to me so far. Figured I should get a sleeve, but decided I wanted to try out Etsy for something a little unique. I found the following sleeve from the seller TopHome http://goo.gl/2Er9N

Shipped from Hong Kong, so it took about two weeks to get to California. Just received it today! The album is below:

http://imgur.com/a/HUDiM#0

I ordered the Wool Felt + Leather model, and it looks great! I would highly recommend it :)

Let me know if anyone has any additional questions that I can answer.

Last edited:

ct1211

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2012
Michigan
Incipio Case

Well I have both a 13 and 15 rMBP and I have now dropped about $200.00 in different cases. I have settled on the Incipio Feather model from amazon as it is noticeably thinner and lighter then Speck and the others. Call me crazy but the spec on even the 13" seems to give it the heft and weight of my old 7lb HP monster from 2009. Anyone looking for a black (rubber feel) or frost 13" rMBP Speck case? $20.00 for either - I also have a 13" 2012 MBA case.

Signed Mr. Indecision 2012

kpxsnoozer

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2013
Booq viper case, gray 13"

Review:
Extremely disappointed.
The case fit very loosely and the bands that keep the laptop open folds inward when closed. This gets in the way of the laptop fully closely and potentially scratches the screen. It is not a tight fit so it moves around a lot when closed. The zipper is hard to open and close.
If you were debating on getting this case, don't even waste your time debating. It's definitely not worth it.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 141
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 131
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 115
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 110
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 106

HishamAkhtar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2011
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.