Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

berniefl36

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2012
I was told by a technician the problem is with the iPhone 5 WIFI DRIVERS,,, it can be updated with a software update,, but the question is apple AWARE of the problem,, if not they will never fix it,,,:(

Jason B

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2010
New firmware just released! Specific to the iphone 5.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1621

I love how apple just released this new firmware that's says, "fixes wifi bug" and that's all it says. Which one? How about a little more info on what wifi issue was fixed?? Anyone do the update?

berniefl36

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2012
The iphone 5 wifi driver needs to be updated that's why LTE and 4g are faster than the wifi right now,,,

berniefl36

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2012
No it didn't,,, because my wifi is still not as fast as my LTE and 4g and my iPhone 4S,, so something is wrong,,,

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
maybe its a hardware issue that they have tried to patch with software? Like when we had the iPhone 4 antenna issues, apple released software to change the size of the signal bars lol

berniefl36

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2012
Yea,, it maybe a hardware issue because the iPhone 4 and 4s works fine on 6.0.1 and 6.0.2 with wifi,,, while the iPhone 5 has problems,, very sad if its true

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
maybe its a hardware issue that they have tried to patch with software? Like when we had the iPhone 4 antenna issues, apple released software to change the size of the signal bars lol

True, some things cannot be patched with software.
Like the old iphone 4 proximity sensor issues.
Even after 3-4 firmware updates back then my i4 used to turn on while I had it against my ear on a call and I used to hang up or dial things with my face while on a call.
So to those that your wifi is still giving you problems after 6.0.2 I'd bring it in and get it replaced.
It was driving me nuts but so far for 2 days it has been solid. Knock on wood:D

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Damn it, I spoke too soon.:D
After about a day and a half of no probs my i5 wifi started acting up again.
As soon as I get home, it works fine for a few minutes, then freezes and doesnt pull any data. Then started again for a few seconds then stopped completelly.
I tried to do a speed test to see if it would receive any data/internet from the router but nothing. Stayed at 0 while all other devices in my house work and pull data with no probs.:(

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
Damn it, I spoke too soon.:D
After about a day and a half of no probs my i5 wifi started acting up again.
As soon as I get home, it works fine for a few minutes, then freezes and doesnt pull any data. Then started again for a few seconds then stopped completelly.
I tried to do a speed test to see if it would receive any data/internet from the router but nothing. Stayed at 0 while all other devices in my house work and pull data with no probs.:(

6.0.2 did not fix my WiFi issues. I get slow download speeds from the app store downloading apps. I have it freeze up whee I have to toggle on and off to get it to work properly to access web and email and even some apps. Funny thing is, I downloaded a systems app to test pings and packet loss and every time I run the test it is OK. Speed test apps all seem to produce speeds that are close to my Internet's published speeds, but I still seem to get these hiccups. :mad:

----------

No it didn't,,, because my wifi is still not as fast as my LTE and 4g and my iPhone 4S,, so something is wrong,,,

Well, my home Internet upload speeds will never get close to LTE upload speeds, but my wife's iPhone 4S and an old iPhone all access my WiFi faster than my iPhone 5. My Internet is rated at 18 down, 1.5 up. My upload sucks on my home Internet.

jetlitheone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
Same problem. Fast sometimes and slow other times. But I found a weird thing. This is my 3rd iPhone 5

If you set the router to b only mode it's obviously not as fast but you get a consistent speed that doesn't stop at all so you get the 5meg maximum that wireless b can handle.
Weird...

This is just ridiculous.

jetlitheone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
Unfortunately I connect to multiple wifi networks.
So I can't go and tell everyone to buy new routers so my new iPhone 5 connects.
Shouldn't it be able to connect and hold connection with every wifi both open and encrypted?

I have an airport express and its still slow at downloading

scmaruthi

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2012
I'm experiencing the same problem.
But since this is limited to downloading Apps on the App store, I was wondering if the problem could be a issue related to port forwarding. Maybe the iPhone 5's App Store uses a new port number and not the standard HTTP port.

Can anyone confirm that this could be a possiblity ?
I'm just guessing since this reminds me of the problems while downloading torrents without proper port forwarding.
Also does the iPhone 5 support UPnP ?

mknmike

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2012
Better, but not exactly fast

So I've read somewhere that an Apple programmer setup the wifi so that it goes back to some Apple database and to check if the wifi requires some authorization or "accept" page like many hotels. I don't know if that is related, but it certainly goes beyond my ability to understand how to fix a Mac problem.

So I did find a September 2012 article that mentions entering a different DNS than the one that gets automatically populated. It says to search for the fastest one for you, but I just entered the Google 8.8.8.8 (instead of both 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 that are recommended). The Speed test went from 1.7 down to about 10 down as it seemed the settings were taking affect. So that certainly seemed to help.

I found that many apps were still slow though. Some of the apps I've been using simply would not load the data for the page on wifi. Examples of the Apps:
- AutoGuide app (car forums, any page with significant data just wouldn't load. I would re-load the page about 10 times and sometimes finally get the page)
- Craigslist - Same thing. GOing to my CL postings to edit them takes forever.
- eBay

Now that I've entered the 8.8.8.8 is seems better, and I usually get the data in the apps mentioned above. However, it still seems painfully slow in many cases.

So I went in to try and remove the Comcast "Search Domain" to see if that would help. Apparently the Search Domain will try to convert the server name to an IP address or something. That sounds like trouble to me. So I tried removing it, using "local", and "google", and "google.com" but those all just seemed to make things worse when using the Manual settings. I guess you need to have somethign valid in that box. I think wifi failed altogether when that box was blank. So I went back to the DHCP and entered the 8.8.8.8 replacing the 75.75.75.75 (and the second number) that gets automatically populated. So it seems better, but not as good as my iphone 4s was.

Very disappointed with the iPhone5 (vs the 4s) altogether. I'm so glad I got my wife a 4s on Virgin Mobile for xmas. (My work gave me this iphone 5, and while I don't have to worry about the cost of the data myself, I certainly don't want to exceed some LTE data limit with personal use around the house. So wifi is a "must have" for me. I have to admit that I'm considering going out and getting a virgin mobile 4s for myself at only $40-55 per month.)

Is this something intentional that Apple did to get people using the data plans on LTE for their providers who no longer offer unlimited data?

Interesting that Virgin Mobile's unlimited data isn't an iphone 5 with LTE. :)

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
6.0.2 fixed my issue for a bit but now the same slow wifi issues have returned.

Same here. 6.0.2 fixed my issues for a little while but now my iPhone 5 is back to not working even after a restart and forgetting network settings. Very disappointing. Imo, great way to force us to use data ... <cough> <hint> <Verizon> <cough>. Used to listen to music (Spotify, iTunes Match, MOG) on my iPhone but now I have to do that via my laptop thanks to this WiFi problem.

Brad02

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2011
I have 30/3 internet. Everything else on my network maxes out my connection. It happens on my wife's and MIL's ip5 as well. They have some issues to fix for sure. I have an Asus RT-N56U router not an old router by any means. Also happens on my MIL's Netgear WDR3700 router. I'm on board with the other people in this thread. I'm not buying a new router because their device has issues. That's insane.

mknmike

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2012
Is any of this due to the lawsuits with other providers/OS? Folks on Verizon FIOS have no problem on their Verizon iPhone 5? As long as you are using the same company's bandwidth they are happy? Maybe I should try connecting to my neighbor's verizon dsl connection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.