Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevem1981

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2013
I had this problem this morning. I have my DND set from 00:00 to 07:00
I managed to work around the 'issue' by changing my schedule to 23:59 to 07:00 - hey presto, problem eliminated.

This will only fix the problem for today because you're scheduling it to start in in 2012 (December 31st, 2012 11:59 PM to January 1, 2013 7:00 AM). Try changing the date to January 2, 2013 and the problem happens again. I suspect most people not experiencing this issue right now have it scheduled before midnight and will get this problem tomorrow. The only solution I could find for now is to turn off DND manually every morning (or turn off scheduling).

This isn't a one-day bug... it will happen every day until Apple fixes the bug.

Last edited:

reznq

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
Podcasts, Windows 3.1 style dialer, Do Not Disturb (Forstall? I hope!)

We've never had an issue with this prior to today -- and it has failed to disable on all six of our devices (for those of you wondering whether it's an anomaly).

I'm not surprised, however. The implementation screams shoddy -- from the initial description of DND that's missing punctuation, to "Repeated Calls: On" and the somewhat confusing sentence attached to it.

Surely Apple has a policy on time related issues by now?

NedBookPro

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2011
Software of all kind will always have bugs.

More at 11.

Dude... this isn't a bug in the sense. It's a fail.
Add that to all the other problems with iOS and you have an OS which is a polished turd.

We're not talking about a complex bit of code here.
It simply not acceptable.

Most other devices, not just phones have software that DO work, without bugs - especially for fundamental functions like turning alarms off and on.

Why is it that people keep defending apple on these things?
I knew all these defenders would come out of the woodwork, and I was right.

It happens EVERY time. No wonder apple is so arrogant - it must know the majority of it's customers will never put it to task over it's failures.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Dude... this isn't a bug in the sense. It's a fail.
Add that to all the other problems with iOS and you have an OS which is a polished turd.

We're not talking about a complex bit of code here.
It simply not acceptable.

Most other devices, not just phones have software that DO work, without bugs - especially for fundamental functions like turning alarms off and on.

Why is it that people keep defending apple on these things?
I knew all these defenders would come out of the woodwork, and I was right.

It happens EVERY time. No wonder apple is so arrogant - it must know the majority of it's customers will never put it to task over it's failures.

The software in most devices works without bugs? Really? And you know this how?

That doesn't mean that this particular bug doesn't deserve Apple's prompt attention, but it may not be as simple as you claim.

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Didn't this happen to Android recently... and you all fellated each other over it... then when it happens to iOS you act as if it's not a big deal :rolleyes:

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I figured out on my devices (iPhone 4, 5 and iPad Mini) how to avoid this.

I set up DND to a schedule from 0:00 AM (midnight) to 6:00 AM. If I set the start time to 11:59 PM DND will turn off again.

So could someone please try this as well? At least it helped for me.
It was the same for me. I had the schedule set to 12:00am - 6:30am, and DND did not turn off this morning. Setting the start time to 11:55pm seems to have fixed it.

stevem1981

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2013
It was the same for me. I had the schedule set to 12:00am - 6:30am, and DND did not turn off this morning. Setting the start time to 11:55pm seems to have fixed it.

Only for today because you're setting it to start in 2012 (Dec 31 at 11:55 PM). You will get the problem again tomorrow.

stevem1981

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2013
I made some tests and this issue will fix itself on Sunday January 6, 2013. It will happen the first few days of January 2014 (until Sunday January 5, 2014) if the bug is not fixed. Most first few days of most years seem to have this bug. The bugs starts on January 1st (based on the From time under Scheduled) and is usually fixed on the first Sunday of the year (except if the first day of the year is a Sunday, then it is fixed on the second Sunday). Years preceding years where the first day is a Sunday are not affected by the bug.

Let's check the next few years, this is the pattern :

2013 : Issue fixed on Sunday Jan 6
2014 : Issue fixed on Sunday Jan 5
2015 : Issue fixed on Sunday Jan 4
2016 : Issue not happening even though first day is a Friday
2017 : Issue fixed on Sunday Jan 8 (Jan 1st is also a Sunday)
2018 : Issue fixed on Sunday Jan 7
2019 : Issue fixed on Sunday Jan 6
2020 : Issue fixed on Sunday Jan 5
2021 : Issue fixed on Sunday Jan 3
2022 : Issue not happening even though first day is a Saturday
2023 : Issue fixed on Sunday Jan 8 (Jan 1st is also a Sunday)
2024 : Issue fixed on Sunday Jan 7
Etc...

The same pattern happens if you go back in time as well.

Note : If DND is scheduled before midnight, then the issue and the fix (see above) are delayed one day since it's based on the From time under Scheduled.

Last edited:

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I made some tests and it seems this issue will fix itself on January 6, 2013.
At least it happens while I'm on vacation so there is no danger of missing any important work-related calendar notifications ...
I found it. The issue happens every year and fixes itself on the first Sunday of the year.
Good work on the testing! Perhaps Macrumors could put that information in the front page article so someone at Apple sees it as quickly as possible.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Both iPad and iPhone are still in "Do Not Disturb". :roll eyes:

Both start and end times are within the same day: 3:00am to 12:00pm

I just now manually turned off DND; left it scheduled. Guess I'll see what it does tomorrow AM...

Last edited:

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
I did notice that I didn't hear an alarm around noon, but I figured I just didn't hear it. But sure enough, my iPhone 4s and iPad 4 (both with iOS 6.x) are misbehaving.

Hopefully it's just a one day thing.... (Edit: looks like it's going to last until Sunday...)

Gary

NedBookPro

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2011
The software in most devices works without bugs? Really? And you know this how?

That doesn't mean that this particular bug doesn't deserve Apple's prompt attention, but it may not be as simple as you claim.

And I know this how?????

I am nearly half a century old - so I have some life experience.
I've been involved with computers since the early 80's
I am a programmer.
I am not a blind, apple fan-boy, although I for the most do like their products apart from being frustrated of late with iOS (which by the way, I am not alone on this)

THAT'S HOW I KNOW.

The irony here is that all the iOS apps I use on my phone work without bugs, and would contain a lot more complex programming routines than simply turning DND off at a specific time. It's the core apple software that appears to be buggy in a lot of areas. I think that speaks volumes of the people working on iOS, and the people who do quality control on iOS.

Don't take this personally, it's not about YOU. It's about apple getting it's **** together and releasing software that works. Stop defending them.

If you bought an alarm clock and it's alarm was erratic, you'd be angry about it. You'd want a refund. You'd throw it in the trash.

This is a $1000 worth of phone. Why is it that because it's an apple product that being buggy is OK???

Please enlighten us on that last point.

mahurangi

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2008
Warkworth NZ
issue related to timezone

Hi.
MTCW.
Timezone set to Auckland NZ and it thinks it is night time. Set my timezone to Los Angeles and it correctly removes the moon symbol. Reset to auckland at 11am and it brings back the moon while the sun shines brightly outside. This is on iPhone 4s and 5 with latest update. Oh well I will turn it off and await an apple update.
Vern Dempster -
Patient Apple user since 1980

NedBookPro

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2011
What's "IT" and "EVERY" what?

Are you thinking anyone is happy with this problem?

Gary

What I mean by "it and every time" is that people come out of the woodwork to defend apple no matter how bad things are.

So Gary, although there are probably many that are obviously not happy about the problem, if you look back through this and many other threads, a lot of people always come out flaming people who point out apple's short-comings. It's as though they take it personally. It's not about them (forum users), it's about apple.

Just look at the maps fiasco as an example. People were defending it as though maps were ok, and were even willing to accept it. It illustrates the mentality. Obviously it was not ok. Tim Cook fired Forstall, publicly apologized, and even suggested people use alternative maps. Despite all this, people still defend apple even when they're wrong.

There is an "apple can do no wrong" mentality by a lot of people, and that's why I made the statement that apple has probably become arrogant because people accept anything they do - right or wrong.

I'll say again - this is $1000 worth of phone. Not a $2 wrist-watch (which definitely has an alarm that works - without bugs)

stevem1981

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2013
Both iPad and iPhone are still in "Do Not Disturb". :roll eyes:

Both start and end times are within the same day: 3:00am to 12:00pm

I just now manually turned off DND; left it scheduled. Guess I'll see what it does tomorrow AM...

It will happen again until Sunday, January 6. See my post above.

If you set it From before midnight (To after midnight), then it will be fixed on Monday, January 7.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
What I mean by "it and every time" is that people come out of the woodwork to defend apple no matter how bad things are.

So Gary, although there are probably many that are obviously not happy about the problem, if you look back through this and many other threads, a lot of people always come out flaming people who point out apple's short-comings. It's as though they take it personally. It's not about them (forum users), it's about apple.

Just look at the maps fiasco as an example. People were defending it as though maps were ok, and were even willing to accept it. It illustrates the mentality. Obviously it was not ok. Tim Cook fired Forstall, publicly apologized, and even suggested people use alternative maps. Despite all this, people still defend apple even when they're wrong.

There is an "apple can do no wrong" mentality by a lot of people, and that's why I made the statement that apple has probably become arrogant because people accept anything they do - right or wrong.

I'll say again - this is $1000 worth of phone. Not a $2 wrist-watch (which definitely has an alarm that works - without bugs)

Some people will always do that sure, but I bet the majority does it because people tend to nit pick on all things Apple now that they're popular and that. gets. old.

t47

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
yep, I was stuck in DND mode, too. Manually turned it off, and it says scheduled for 12:00 am. Will see if it shuts off tomorrow morning or not...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.