Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gursis11

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2011
Here's what I want to see in iOS 7...

1. Weather on the lock screen (at the very least)
2. Camera app also snaps QR codes
3. Vehicle mode - no texting if device is moving > 5 mph
4. Better POI on Maps
5. Siri SDK
6. Siri Translation (translates from English to French, for example)
7. NFC
8. Apple TV SDK
9. PowerNap
10. Split screen mode on iPad (use two apps at same time)
11. Real multi-tasking (per app basis, use Settings to activate)
12. LinkedIn Integration (especially with Contacts)
13. iCloud Printing - accesses printer drivers in iCloud to print on any printer on the network
14. Combine Newsstand and iBooks (Books, Magazines, Newspapers, PDFs)
15. Bike paths on Maps or Better Routing App integration
16. iPad style clocks on iPhone

Siri SDK would definitely be a killer 'feature'. It can already translate words but phrase translating needs to be worked upon.
PowerNap sort of already exists: put device to sleep and it'll still be updating or downloading apps, it can still update the OS, the mail will still be fetching and pushing.
Split-screen? Meh, I can live without it.
Newsstand and iBooks, YES! It'll finally get rid of the stupid shelf from my phone.
iPad clocks on iPhone? Yes, please!

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
What I have wanted since the first iPad is a way for my wife and I to have separate logins so our stuff isn't intermingled.

That!
Plus take another page from OS X: Energy Saver options in Settings so I could define custom settings and quickly access them from the lock screen.
Surprised these 2 features haven't been there from the jump.

gursis11

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2011
I'd be more shocked if it wasn't appearing in developer logs.

Ideal wishlist (for me, personally before some nutjob starts saying I'm wrong):

(iPhone 6)
- Senseg touchscreen (i.e water feels like water, grit would feel gritty, etc - info: http://senseg.com/)
- A true bigger screen this time. Not a stretched one. (S3 screen is pretty much the ideal size IMO - not so big it wont fit in your pocket, but big enough to be usable for longer periods).
- Either carbon fiber or plastic shell (there really is zero benefit to a metal shell, and causes more problems than its worth)
- Replace the physical home button with a touch one.

(iOS 7)
- Complete control over your default app
- Ability to delete built-in apps (Maps....I'm looking at you.)
- Full UI overhaul
- Removal of Passbook, Stocks, Weather, Reminders as default/installed apps - move them to the appstore for those that want them
- Widgets
- Customisable lock screen
- Customisable springboard (i.e not forced to have icons on the 4x4/5 grid)
- Landscape home screen support
- Option to list apps instead of have a large icon
- Option to rollback app updates (for when devs have bugs slip through in an update)
- Option to enable automatic app updates
- File manager (will never happen but we can dream - but it may be a necessity if they ever allow you to control default apps)
- Better settings. Not sure how, but as it stands the settings app is a terribly designed way of managing your iPhone (and app) settings.
- Removal of that frigging newsstand icon - why oh why can I not just disable it and hide it in a folder with the rest of the crap Apple ships on the iPhone!

(Unimportant/minor iOS7 wishlist)
- Ability to set your own OS colorscheme, which basically lets you change the gradients, bars, etc to be more personalised
- Either complete removal of siri's online search system, or a massive improvement to make it actually half decent outside major cities. The likes of Google Now are years ahead of Siri.
- Controls for the camera to adjust aperture, dof, exposure, etc

I dont see a single one of these things happening however :p

Just get an Android.

DVNIEL

Cancelled
Oct 28, 2003

4. Better POI on Maps
5. Siri SDK
7. NFC
8. Apple TV SDK
9. PowerNap
13. iCloud Printing - accesses printer drivers in iCloud to print on any printer on the network

Powernap? Every phone in the world has powernap. It's called turn off your screen and the radio still catches your calls and texts. :/

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
Sort of. You pay the same for the service either way in most cases in the US, so it's more like either a loan with high interest, or no loan with the same high interest as if you had the loan anyway.

In that case, you might as well take the loan, right?

Well, that you pay the same either way isn't my problem. In 95% of the other countries, a subsidized phone results in high monthly bills and just a contract without phone in low monthly bills.

I'm just saying: you don't get that iPhone for free. One way or another, you're paying for it.

Exactly this kind of thinking ("oh, it's free because it says $0 and I will totally ignore the monthly costs.", "I'll pay it later", "new creditcard: unlimited spending", etc.) causes that people buy things they can't pay for. They either don't realize it (because a $0 phone seems so cheap, for example), or they are just greedy.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
You really need to buy two. They are personal and not to be shared.

Your comment reminded me of this short story,

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/right-to-read.html

For Dan Halbert, the road to Tycho began in college—when Lissa Lenz asked to borrow his computer. Hers had broken down, and unless she could borrow another, she would fail her midterm project. There was no one she dared ask, except Dan.

This put Dan in a dilemma. He had to help her—but if he lent her his computer, she might read his books. Aside from the fact that you could go to prison for many years for letting someone else read your books, the very idea shocked him at first. Like everyone, he had been taught since elementary school that sharing books was nasty and wrong—something that only pirates would do...

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
iPads are cheaper. This is what iPhones cost (according to Apple's website) and this is how much an iPhone will cost you. On top of these prices, you'll pay some sort of rent and you'll pay a bit for your data/minutes.

iPhone 4 8 GB: $449
iPhone 4S 16 GB: $549
iPhone 5 16 GB: $649
iPhone 5 32 GB: $749
iPhone 5 64 GB: $849

Only the 2.5 year old model is $50 cheaper than a 2012 fourth generation iPad with Retina display.

Above prices is what you'll pay over a period of two years. And that's the best case scenario.

As I said, buying a subsidized phone is really getting a phone with a loan. What you pay for data isn't really what you pay for data. It's what you pay for data, plus what you pay for the phone, plus something so they can make a decent profit.

Actually iPhone are cheaper than iPads not counting the data plans that you have to pay every month. Because honestly, when you go ask someone whether a $200 device or $500 is cheaper, its going to be the $200 iPhone. People don't factor data into the initial cost as a "loan".

You pay $199 up front for the iPhone 5, you pay $499 up front for the iPad 4. Which is cheaper the iPad 5.

Now if you want to include data plans to the calculations, fine, but have data plans for both of the (say $30 for 2GB)

iPhone 5 16GB with 2 year data = $200 + $30 x 12 x 2 = $920
iPad 4 16GB with 2 year data = $500 + $30 x 12 x 2 = $1220

iPhone is still cheaper.

According to your logic, I could claim a $2000 iMac is cheaper than an iPod shuffle. After all, I'm getting it for $0 plus a contract for which I will get a few gigs of data for just $100 a month.
After 24 months, I have paid $2400. $2000 went to paying for the iMac, $50 to the data, $250 'rent' (because that $2000 iMac has been paid for 24 months ago) (this is, of course, also pure profit) and the last $100 just general profit.
Not sure how my logic makes a $2000 iMac cheaper than an iPod shuffle, perhaps your wording it to your liking. When you buy that iMac you pay $2000, when you buy that iPod shuffle you pay $50. So the iMac would be a lot more expensive, also there's no contract for either of them so your analogy is flawed.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I know you shouldn't "fix what's not broken", but iOS definitely needs some more pizzaz. It's amazing, but it really is starting to feel like the same thing over and over.

Just look at the tentpole features every year.

It's kind of a slap in the face to the consumer that Facebook and Mail were given that much attention for iOS 6.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
Actually iPhone are cheaper than iPads not counting the data plans that you have to pay every month. Because honestly, when you go ask someone whether a $200 device or $500 is cheaper, its going to be the $200 iPhone. People don't factor data into the initial cost as a "loan".

You pay $199 up front for the iPhone 5, you pay $499 up front for the iPad 4. Which is cheaper the iPad 5.

Now if you want to include data plans to the calculations, fine, but have data plans for both of the (say $30 for 2GB)

iPhone is still cheaper.

Not sure how my logic makes a $2000 iMac cheaper than an iPod shuffle, perhaps your wording it to your liking. When you buy that iMac you pay $2000, when you buy that iPod shuffle you pay $50. So the iMac would be a lot more expensive, also there's no contract for either of them so your analogy is flawed.

Your iPhone plan only costs $30 a month?

Yea right.

Stack Overflow

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2012
Well, that you pay the same either way isn't my problem. In 95% of the other countries, a subsidized phone results in high monthly bills and just a contract without phone in low monthly bills.
That's why I pointed out I'm talking about the US.

I'm just saying: you don't get that iPhone for free. One way or another, you're paying for it.
I do, and so do most Americans. Or, more specifically, not "free", but "for no additional cost". The sad reality is that in the US, you pay for a new phone whether you get one or not.

Exactly this kind of thinking ("oh, it's free because it says $0 and I will totally ignore the monthly costs.", "I'll pay it later", "new creditcard: unlimited spending", etc.) causes that people buy things they can't pay for. They either don't realize it (because a $0 phone seems so cheap, for example), or they are just greedy.
No, it truly does cost $0 more in this situation.

Your point is reasonable enough in the areas where it's true, but in the US, for most people it absolutely does not apply.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
I know you shouldn't "fix what's not broken", but iOS definitely needs some more pizzaz. It's amazing, but it really is starting to feel like the same thing over and over.

Just look at the tentpole features every year.

It's kind of a slap in the face to the consumer that Facebook and Mail were given that much attention for iOS 6.

The funny thing is, iOS 6 "fixed" many things that weren't broken, examples include ota, wifi, and auto brightness

Spetsnazos

macrumors regular
May 3, 2012

4. Better POI on Maps
5. Siri SDK
7. NFC
8. Apple TV SDK
9. PowerNap

you know you can have some self control instead?

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009

iPhone is still cheaper.
Ah, yeah. So an iPhone only costs $199. So, tell me, I can get an iPad without data for $499. Where can I get this magical iPhone for only $199 without data?
I just want the phone. No data. No minutes. No texts. No service. Just the phone. You tell me it costs only $199.

Oh, wait, that isn't possible...

I think you're missing the point. That what is called "data" is in reality "extra payment for phone, interest (profit) and data".

Your logic is: only what you pay upfront is what you pay. Everything else, that is called "data, test, minutes" (and in reality also involves: extra payment for phone, rent (profit)) doesn't count.

So, here's a hypothetical situation. There's a company that sells an (originally $2000) iMac for $0 if you sign up for a 2-year contract à $100 a month. This $100 payment is called "data".

After 24 months you payed $2400. You didn't pay $2400 for data. You paid $2000 for the iMac, and the other $400 is a combination of pure profit, rent and a little bit of data (which, in reality, is really, really cheap).

But hey, that iMac didn't cost you anything, right? It was free: $0.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
That's why I pointed out I'm talking about the US.

I do, and so do most Americans. Or, more specifically, not "free", but "for no additional cost". The sad reality is that in the US, you pay for a new phone whether you get one or not.

No, it truly does cost $0 more in this situation.

Your point is reasonable enough in the areas where it's true, but in the US, for most people it absolutely does not apply.

I get what you are saying. Basically, what you are saying is that, you always pay for the phone when you get your data/minutes/texts - even when you do not actually get a phone.

That's difference.

I'm just saying that an iPhone isn't $0, $99 or $199. You will always end up paying for the phone. The other guy said that you didn't.

-------------------------
I'll now stop here, since we're really getting off-topic. :)

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
Wrong person then. It's Craig Federighi. Ive won't have much to do with iOS 7 other than his opposition to skeuomorphism, unless it's related to hardware in some way.

Look at what Craig did to OSX (lion and ML), I'm not holding my breath.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Wrong person then. It's Craig Federighi. Ive won't have much to do with iOS 7 other than his opposition to skeuomorphism, unless it's related to hardware in some way.
Tim Cook said Ive is responsible for Software look and feel. That doesn't apply to iOS 7?

Jony [Ive, senior vice president of industrial design], who I think has the best taste of anyone in the world and the best design skills, now has responsibility for the human interface. I mean, look at our products. (Cook reaches for his iPhone.) The face of this is the software, right? And the face of this iPad is the software. So it’s saying, Jony has done a remarkable job leading our hardware design, so let’s also have Jony responsible for the software and the look and feel of the software, not the underlying architecture and so forth, but the look and feel….

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
I think you're missing the point. That what is called "data" is in reality "extra payment for phone, interest (profit) and data".

I think your missing my point. I know it is, but when you go into an Apple, AT&T, Verizon, etc. and ask if the iPhone or iPad cheaper.

The answer is going to be iPhone.

You can get the iPhone 5 for just $199 compared to the iPad 4 for $499.

They don't advertise you paying data every month as payment for the phone, its payment for data only.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
I think your missing my point. I know it is, but when you go into an Apple, AT&T, Verizon, etc. and ask if the iPhone or iPad cheaper.

The answer is going to be iPhone.

You can get the iPhone 5 for just $199 compared to the iPad 4 for $499.

They don't advertise you paying data every month as payment for the phone, its payment for data only.

Just stop...you are not making any sense no matter how hard you try to twist it.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
Yes, I pay $30/month for unlimited on Verizon.

Yes, I am grandfathered into the plan since it first came out.

That's nice honey, but the other 95% of iPhone owners pay way more than that

Stop making bold assumptions to suppor your flawed arguments

TechieGeek

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012

4. Better POI on Maps
5. Siri SDK
7. NFC
8. Apple TV SDK
9. PowerNap

Switch to Android :D The Galaxy S3 already has number 1, 2, apps for 3, 4, 6 (Google Translate), 7 (I thought this was the dumbest Android feature but its actually very useful!), 10, 11, 12 (integration with ANYTHING! Even Kik or Circle or anything!), 15, and [maybe 16].

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.