Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
Honestly the way of the world is console gaming. PC gaming unoffically died back in 06'. Get yourself a High End Samsung TV and a Xbox 360. It'll be a much better experience than PC gaming. Plus your pings will be lower because everyone knows more people play Xbox 360 than PC. Plus there closer to you.

Use a Mac for computing. It's a much better experience.

What about Mods, and dedicated servers plus groovy performance?

Gelite55

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012

If your looking for a great lag free experience. The matchmaking systems on the Xbox do a wonderful job. Of course if you have a crappy internet connection, nothing is going to help you.
Plus I wasn't talking about gaming.

What I said totally went above your head. It's ok.

Last edited:

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
The new iMac can do all of that and more! Plus if your looking for a great lag free experience. The matchmaking systems on the Xbox do a wonderful job. Of course if you have a crappy internet connection, nothing is going to help you.

What I said totally went above your head. It's ok.

Nope, i read everything. Seems like xbox has compromise whereas pc is more expensive.

For someone who likes the xbox so much how come you need a 680mx? Xbox not good enough eh?

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008

Yep. I agree. The PC gaming is still strong, if it wasn't you wouldn't see all these systems out today like it is, or these PC games hitting record sells. There is more control in PC gaming. You can control the gun more accurately with a mouse vs a controller.

pukingpixels

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012
Sweden
Yep. I agree. The PC gaming is still strong, if it wasn't you wouldn't see all these systems out today like it is, or these PC games hitting record sells. There is more control in PC gaming. You can control the gun more accurately with a mouse vs a controller.

Yeah, keep your gaming rig if you're into gaming as much as you seem to be. Even though the maxed out 27" iMac will be decent your current rig is a lot better for gaming.

Don't listen to those ridiculous claims that pc gaming is dead etc cause it's not by any means. Considering the fact that the next gen consoles will be out soon the PC gaming market will actually benefit from the release of next gen consoles regarding better graphics and higher fps than now.

Performance wise your current rig will most definitely be better than the next gen consoles and online gaming has and will always be better on the pc due to the fact that you have and can run your own dedicated servers, teamspeak/ventrilo servers etc. Xbox live and PSN won't stand a chance regarding online gaming.

Pc gaming is far superior to console gaming in pretty much every aspect and this is coming from a casual console gamer today but an ex hardcore pc gamer for twenty years.

Gelite55

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
Nope, i read everything. Seems like xbox has compromise whereas pc is more expensive.

For someone who likes the xbox so much how come you need a 680mx? Xbox not good enough eh?

It's for video editing and future proofing.

Look I didn't mean to say no one buys gaming PCs anymore (although the big box retailers did away with them in their retail stores). But the masses live on Xbox 360. All this talk of Dedicated servers and mods just seems childish to me. What do u need to run a server for at home for strangers for all the time? So you could be host? Like I said my online experiance with Xbox Live is flawless. Buy what you want. But in my man cave, PC gaming has died. If you saw my setup and how we'll everything plays on my big Samsung LED TV, I bet you'd shut ur mouth.
Meanwhile, us console gamers are looking forward to GTA 5 and it playing flawlessly on each console cause that's what the developers knew they had to work with.

Perhaps we have different interests or I've just "grown up" more than you. In the real world Macs are superior to PCs regarding productivity.

Like I said before. Everyone makes their own purchasing decisions. I hope you enjoy ur PC gaming. I'm absolutely loving my big screen / console setup.

pukingpixels

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012
Sweden
Honestly the way of the world is console gaming. PC gaming unoffically died back in 06'. Get yourself a High End Samsung TV and a Xbox 360. It'll be a much better experience than PC gaming. Plus your pings will be lower because everyone knows more people play Xbox 360 than PC. Plus there closer to you.

Use a Mac for computing. It's a much better experience.

So basically what you're saying is that if i join a dedicated server in sweden (where i live) with 0-3 ms on the pc, I still get better ping joining some random german kids game on xbox? I think not.

95% of all "high end" tv:s (especially samsungs) has an input lag higher than 16.33 ms (one frame). It means what everything you do and see on the screen will have one frame of lag which is really bad for games like FPS and fightinh games. What people should get is an 120 hz -140 hz screen with 0-5 ms input lag (not speaking of 0-5 ms grey-to-grey response time here) to get a lag free gaming experience. Sadly thats impossible on the consoles cause their gpus can't handle the hz and will only run in 60 hz.

Sure in some games the consoles shines, like NHL, NFL, Fifa, fighting games and social games but the rest is way better on the pc.

With that said i'm actually a console gamer nowadays and i do enjoy it cause it hassle free and "it just works" when i want to game. But i know that the experience itself is inferior to the experience i'd get on the pc but that's ok cause i don't really care for gaming that much anymore. I too have probably "grown up".

Last edited:

Gelite55

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
So basically what you're saying is that if i join a dedicated server in sweden (where i live) with 0-3 ms on the pc, I still get better ping joining some random german kids game on xbox? I think not.

95% of all "high end" tv:s (especially samsungs) has an input lag higher than 16.33 ms (one frame). It means what everything you do and see on the screen will have one frame of lag which is really bad for games like FPS and fightinh games. What people should get is an 120 hz -140 hz screen with 0-5 ms input lag (not speaking of 0-5 ms grey-to-grey response time here) to get a lag free gaming experience. Sadly thats impossible on the consoles cause their gpus can't handle the hz and will only run in 60 hz.

Sure in some games the consoles shines, like NHL, NFL, Fifa, fighting games and social games but the rest is way better on the pc.

I disagree. I'm talking about America. Also NOWHERE is there 0ms pings. I don't find any input lag at all. I usually place high in COD games to. Also I think the trend on console only games just reinforces my point. Don't try to avoid the point because you dumped a whole lot of money on a Gaming PC.

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
UK
It's for video editing and future proofing.

Look I didn't mean to say no one buys gaming PCs anymore (although the big box retailers did away with them in their retail stores). But the masses live on Xbox 360. All this talk of Dedicated servers and mods just seems childish to me. What do u need to run a server for at home for strangers for all the time? So you could be host? Like I said my online experiance with Xbox Live is flawless. Buy what you want. But in my man cave, PC gaming has died. If you saw my setup and how we'll everything plays on my big Samsung LED TV, I bet you'd shut ur mouth.
Meanwhile, us console gamers are looking forward to GTA 5 and it playing flawlessly on each console cause that's what the developers knew they had to work with.

Perhaps we have different interests or I've just "grown up" more than you. In the real world Macs are superior to PCs regarding productivity.

Like I said before. Everyone makes their own purchasing decisions. I hope you enjoy ur PC gaming. I'm absolutely loving my big screen / console setup.

Considering there was uproar when a game like Crysis 2 gets a poor console conversion for the PC edition then gaming on PC is strong as ever, Crytek realised their mistake. Crysis 3 is heavily stressing top of the line cards and will do for a fair while. Plenty of games run and look 20x better than a console version there is no denying that PC gaming is very much alive, well, and simply can't be matched by a console. Enjoy your console but please don't try and claim it as the go to device for real gaming or that it has anywhere near the power of a decent graphics card. Optimisation of the console games is amazing but the titles look like **** in comparison to a PC.

Everything has its uses and it's not a case that you're grown up, 10, whatever it's just that different tasks have different requirements. The top of the line cards are not just for video editing, I also play games on my Mac Pro equipped with a GTX 680, I have the best of a Mac and can play damn good looking titles, compare it to a console and the visuals are worlds apart - couple it with a large TV or better yet a high resolution multi 3D screen setup and it's easy to see why the console is for children. I do like one part of the console world and thats the controller, but they have those for the PC anyhow...

Gelite55

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
Considering there was uproar when a game like Crysis 2 gets a poor console conversion for the PC edition then gaming on PC is strong as ever, Crytek realised their mistake. Crysis 3 is heavily stressing top of the line cards and will do for a fair while. Plenty of games run and look 20x better than a console version there is no denying that PC gaming is very much alive, well, and simply can't be matched by a console. Enjoy your console but please don't try and claim it as the go to device for real gaming or that it has anywhere near the power of a decent graphics card. Optimisation of the console games is amazing but the titles look like **** in comparison to a PC.

Everything has its uses and it's not a case that you're grown up, 10, whatever it's just that different tasks have different requirements. The top of the line cards are not just for video editing, I also play games on my Mac Pro equipped with a GTX 680, I have the best of a Mac and can play damn good looking titles, compare it to a console and the visuals are worlds apart - couple it with a large TV or better yet a high resolution multi 3D screen setup and it's easy to see why the console is for children. I do like one part of the console world and thats the controller, but they have those for the PC anyhow...

If you read my posts above you'll see I've experienced both. I prefer an Xbox 360 with a big screen high end TV. I feel it's better. If you want to talk about textures then yes. But I got news for you. When the gameplay is so excellent you don't notice the slightest up in LOD. I've stated my points enough.

pukingpixels

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012
Sweden
I disagree. I'm talking about America. Also NOWHERE is there 0ms pings. I don't find any input lag at all. I usually place high in COD games to. Also I think the trend on console only games just reinforces my point. Don't try to avoid the point because you dumped a whole lot of money on a Gaming PC.

And i'm talking about europe. America isn't the center of the world you know and you're in fact quite behind europe and asia in the internet infrastructure but you already knew that cause you're "in IT".

Just beasue you don't notice the input lag it doesn't mean it isn't there.

Oh and i actually dumped $4000 on the new 27" iMac (still in team january and waiting...) which i won't game on and another $200 for a new xbox 360 cause my old one died on me last month.

I'm not a pc gamer.

Gelite55

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
And i'm talking about europe. America isn't the center of the world you know and you're in fact quite behind europe and asia in the internet infrastructure but you already knew that cause you're "in IT".

Just beasue you don't notice the input lag it doesn't mean it isn't there.

Oh and i actually dumped $4000 on the new 27" iMac (still in team january and waiting...) which i won't game on and another $200 for a new xbox 360 cause my old one died on me last month.

I'm not a pc gamer.

What's wrong with you? Then why are u defending it so much. I like console gaming better. I'm currently almost 23 and in college. I don't find myself gaming nearly as much as I use to in HS. I'd rather spend the premium for a Mac and get OS X and enjoy much better productivity.

Not to mention if you don't want to build a gaming PC yourself, all the horror stories I hear from company's like Cyberpower. The big names in the PC world aren't paying attention to the PC gaming world. Walk in to Best Buy and try to get a gaming PC worth it's salt. Not gonna happen. Because there's too low of a demand for it. I remember even 5 years ago they use to have top spec Alienwares in Best Buy. Even the new Alienware Aurora from Dell doesn't have a 3970x CPU available for it. Meanwhile I've had to wait in Best Buy to even play around with a Mac.

I absolutely recognize other countries in the world and the great things that come from them.

But to be honest with you I live in the best Country in the world. The center of the world really is America. Even look at the Global Financial Markets.

Last edited:

cirus

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
In my opinion its really weird to see people telling a guy with a gtx 680 and an i7 that he is going to have a better time gaming on a xbox.

LOL, graphical quality is crap on an xbox, AI and physics are stunted, and there are a lot more whiny kids on xbox. Much as people say that gameplay defines the experience rather than graphics many xbox games exist also for the pc, sure they may only be console ports but you have access to the same games. There are xbox exclusives, but then there are also pc exclusives. You have a closed platform, no mods, and much less control over the device.

Some games play better with a mouse and you can always plug in a xbox controller if you desire.

Why would the op buy a top on the line imac if he is also getting an xbox to game on?

Gelite55: A 3970 is absolutely worthless for just gaming. An i5 will have no problems with all games as pretty much all games do not use more than 4 threads (for the few that do, i7 is fine). The cost to benefit ratio is crap for the 39xx series CPU's and only worth it if you are planning to use three gpus because of greater bandwidth. 39xx series cpus are intended primarily for professional applications.

OP: Does your computer do everything you need it to do? Does it have any problems?
If not, then ignore all comments saying that pc's are full of problems.

Are you 100% satisfied with your current pc? What exactly would an imac bring to the table and is it worth the net cost and time of the exchange?

Judging buy the amount of storage you have an imac may be a problem (also blu-ray).

pukingpixels

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012
Sweden
What's wrong with you? Then why are u defending it so much. I like console gaming better. I'm currently almost 23 and in college. I don't find myself gaming nearly as much as I use to in HS. I'd rather spend the premium for a Mac and get OS X and enjoy much better productivity.

Not to mention if you don't want to build a gaming PC yourself, all the horror stories I hear from company's like Cyberpower. The big names in the PC world aren't paying attention to the PC gaming world. Walk in to Best Buy and try to get a gaming PC worth it's salt. Not gonna happen. Because there's too low of a demand for it. I remember even 5 years ago they use to have top spec Alienwares in Best Buy. Even the new Alienware Aurora from Dell doesn't have a 3970x CPU available for it. Meanwhile I've had to wait in Best Buy to even play around with a Mac.

I absolutely recognize other countries in the world and the great things that come from them.

But to be honest with you I live in the best Country in the world. The center of the world really is America. Even look at the Global Financial Markets.

I defend pc gaming for it being superior to console gaming when it comes to performance and for the fact that sadly the consoles makes the overall gaming development stagnant. We're basically stuck since 2007 when games like Crysis was released and when a five year old game is still one of the best looking games out there, then there is something very wrong with the game development market. That's the consoles fault and that's why you won't find a gaming rig (e.g alienware) at best buy anymore.

You've got the global financial market (for now, china is on the move...) and we've got Ikea.

But hey, let's just end this by agreeing that we both like gaming on consoles and that Macs are great for productivity and creative work.

Gelite55

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
I defend pc gaming for it being superior to console gaming when it comes to performance and for the fact that sadly the consoles makes the overall gaming development stagnant. We're basically stuck since 2007 when games like Crysis was released and when a five year old game is still one of the best looking games out there, then there is something very wrong with the game development market. That's the consoles fault and that's why you won't find a gaming rig (e.g alienware) at best buy anymore.

You've got the global financial market (for now, china is on the move...) and we've got Ikea.

But hey, let's just end this by agreeing that we both like gaming on consoles and that Macs are great for productivity and creative work.

No I'm sorry. America has the global dominance in this world. We're the 800lbs Boss Gorilla in the room. When Apple has to ship a product, we're their first priority.

But anyway. This is the last time I'm going back and forth with you guys. Even if you use those Alienware for the Pro Apps my point still sticks. You can't get the best there is on the market. Point blank all the big Players Don't care about the PC Gaming Market Anymore. Alienware is just about the only one left. The HP solution is horrible for cooling and offer little to bad PSU options Alienware is also are losing their mojo to with that X51 mini cr*ap. My solution for a Xbox 360 for gaming and a Mac for everything else is the best solution around. Also my AI and Graphics aren't anything less than stunning and poppy. I owe some of that to my high end Samsung TV.

Buy what you want and I'll buy what I want.

petsk

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009

Sorry to break it to you, but if you want to be at the top of the line you'd better live in one of the Nordic countries. They pretty much beat the US in any chosen category, except for the nice weather in southern US wish makes me kind of jealous ;)

A bit off topic maybe.

crovian

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2010

LOL sorry but you aren't in any position to talk about financial market infrastructure as an IT, especially if you believe America has been a positive force in the market recently.

Back to OP: I would keep it if you are a heavy gamer. As others have pointed out, since you can upgrade easily, you'll be able to keep up to date with the latest hardware as long as you are willing to upgrade. Personally, I like gaming on mouse and keyboard better because I'm a big 1.6 fan and basically any FPS is better with mouse and keyboard but I can understand the side for consoles as well.

Gelite55

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
LOL sorry but you aren't in any position to talk about financial market infrastructure as an IT, especially if you believe America has been a positive force in the market recently.

Back to OP: I would keep it if you are a heavy gamer. As others have pointed out, since you can upgrade easily, you'll be able to keep up to date with the latest hardware as long as you are willing to upgrade. Personally, I like gaming on mouse and keyboard better because I'm a big 1.6 fan and basically any FPS is better with mouse and keyboard but I can understand the side for consoles as well.

Wait so cause I'm in IT that means I can't talk about the Financial markets? That makes no sense and I will continue to do so. I bet I made more than you in the last 5 years in the market than you will in your lifetime. I watch Squawk Box on CNBC every morning. Watch what you say about people you don't know.

America holds Global Dominance.

crovian

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2010
Wait so cause I'm in IT that means I can't talk about the Financial markets? That makes no sense and I will continue to do so. I bet I made more than you in the last 5 years in the market than you will in your lifetime. I watch Squawk Box on CNBC every morning. Watch what you say about people you don't know.

LOL I totally lost it at squawk box hahaha, usually everyone who wants to appear in tune with financial market will say bloomberg
But if you want to PM me your designations, ips or tax return (with blacked out personal info of course), I'll do the same

You are 23, in college and "in IT". I am 22, graduated, and work as an equity research analyst. Do you really want to continue with this?

Last edited:

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
23 in college and he says he is in IT? Really? I am 38, been in IT for almost 20 years 95% PC related and not MAC. And I game. And walking into BB to get a gaming PC is not going to happen because they really DON'T HAVE ONE.

I personally am new to MAC's and like the MAC interface. Maybe because it's a change from what I am use too and I like change. But in all honesty, trying to clean up my room at the house instead of having this huge computer that is a heater in that room requiring me to have another AC unit in that room (BTU) just to help keep it cooler. 2 story house has trouble in the upper floors. That is why I was considering the IMAC as it will run cooler, quieter, and play what I want too. If I can live with that for several 3-5 years playing games instead of this big machine that I built, then I would do it. But I am questioning myself and wanted others to give their opinions that have owned macs much longer than me.

Last edited:

Gelite55

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
23 in college and he says he is in IT? Really? I am 38, been in IT for almost 20 years 95% PC related and not MAC. And I game. And walking into BB to get a gaming PC is not going to happen because they really DON'T HAVE ONE.

That was my point THEY DON'T HAVE ONE! The big PC makers don't care about gaming PC's anymore. Of course the corporate world runs PCs. But for the home a Mac is better.

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
That was my point THEY DON'T HAVE ONE! The big PC makers don't care about gaming PC's anymore. Of course the corporate world runs PCs. But for the home a Mac is better.

Dell XPS, Alienware

Asus has a few

Gateway has one

Most big manufactures are not looking to make big powerful machines and that is why the off brands like cyberpower, ibuypower, and so on do. They don't sell enough, or make enough on them. The normal buyer wants just a regular PC, or MAC. To do the basic stuff. Most gamers don't look at those brands anyways and rather build their machines.

Gelite55

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
Dell XPS, Alienware

Asus has a few

Gateway has one

Most big manufactures are not looking to make big powerful machines and that is why the off brands like cyberpower, ibuypower, and so on do. They don't sell enough, or make enough on them. The normal buyer wants just a regular PC, or MAC. To do the basic stuff. Most gamers don't look at those brands anyways and rather build their machines.

High end Macs can be used for more than basic things. Ask yourself. Would you ever spend $2K on a PC from iBuypower after reading the large amount of bad reviews and stories?

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here

Hey mine is bigger than yours..

This has what to do exactly with sell gaming PC for silly toy??? Oh thats right nothing, but it does stroke your ego which is second best to other things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.