Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhoneP33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2012
Hello. I am going to buy a factory unlocked iPhone 4S very soon and I was wondering which prepaid carrier would be a better choice for me. I have read up on both of them, but I believe that going with Straight Talk would involve me having to carefully use my data. I believe I read somewhere that you can't watch youtube videos or stream any content, so that kind of disappointed me. I live in Miami, so I don't know if Simple Mobile has 3G in my area. What exactly would be the pros and cons of each carrier?

Opstech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2010
California
I put a straight talk sim in my wife's 4s and she can stream music and watch you tube videos. I made sure to buy the AT&T strait talk sim. I saved 29 bucks a month switching to the 45 unlimited plan. It's an awesome deal. She gets HSPA + in our area.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
Hello. I am going to buy a factory unlocked iPhone 4S very soon and I was wondering which prepaid carrier would be a better choice for me. I have read up on both of them, but I believe that going with Straight Talk would involve me having to carefully use my data. I believe I read somewhere that you can't watch youtube videos or stream any content, so that kind of disappointed me. I live in Miami, so I don't know if Simple Mobile has 3G in my area. What exactly would be the pros and cons of each carrier?

I live in Miami as well, I've been wanting to try Straight Talk for awhile. Just afraid, I think I'd do it if I knew someone and seen the phone in person working. I don't want to lose my unlimited data with AT&T.

I put a straight talk sim in my wife's 4s and she can stream music and watch you tube videos. I made sure to buy the AT&T strait talk sim. I saved 29 bucks a month switching to the 45 unlimited plan. It's an awesome deal. She gets HSPA + in our area.

I'm paying $150-$160/month for my iPhone's. I'd love to just pay $90/month and pocket the rest. How well does it work? Any issues? I travel so I need to make sure I have service.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
Anyone try Good2Go mobile? Although it's pricey, it seems you can buy 500 mb or 1 GB allotments of data once you burn through the initial 1 gb of data.

ml.sail1

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2010
Pittsburgh
Copied from another thread I posted in:

I don't use straighttalk, But I do use net10 which offers the same deal. I started the 1st if this month and so far everything is going well, unlimited talk/text/data. Contrary to the straighttalk unlimited terms which are very vague on specific limits and such, net10 puts it in clear terms, they give you 50,000 minutes a month for talk/text/data. Obviously, calls deduct from that on a minute by minute basis. Texts use 0.5 minutes I believe, and data I haven't quite figured the conversion, it may just be mb to minute. In case you didn't look it up out of curiosity, there are only something like 43,000 actual minutes in a month, so you should be good.

As of today (12-31-12) I have used 8:39 of talk time and about 2.5 GB of data with no problems. I got the Net10 package which came with 3 sim cards-a Standard ATT sim, a Micro ATT sim, and a Standard T-Mobile sim. I cut the Standard ATT sim down by hand following a guide here and make sure you print out the template on A4 sized paper if possible.

This sim card pack can be bought from Target locally as well as Best Buy (Note I have no affiliation with either, nor with Net10. I am just a happy customer)

Also posted below are a few speed tests from the Pittsburgh PA area as well as all the way down to Orlando FL (Vacation Drive).

Hope this helps!

Attachments

• Usage Stats.jpg
    Usage Stats.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 122
  • Data Speeds.JPG
    Data Speeds.JPG
    208.4 KB · Views: 119
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.