Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
Today I upgraded my (what I believe) Revision A iMac g5 (20 inch) from 512mb ram to 1.5gb of ram. I have several questions:

I downloaded mactubes yet I cant seem to do anything with it (question mark)
Facebook wont fully load, just the top part of it like the notifications, message, and search.
Whats the best browswer for this mac.
And also I am using the wired aluminum keyboard and they sybmols like question mark, quotation mark, volume, etc. do not due their proper function.
How do I get my iTunes library on this machine

Its running panther.

TIA!

skateny

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
Today I upgraded my (what I believe) Revision A iMac g5 (20 inch) from 512mb ram to 1.5gb of ram. I have several questions:

Facebook wont fully load, just the top part of it like the notifications, message, and search.
And also I am using the wired aluminum keyboard and they sybmols like question mark, quotation mark, volume, etc. do not due their proper function.

Its running panther.

TIA!

I don't know if your problem is Panther, but you need to upgrade your OS at least to Tiger.

Which browser are you using?

You can download iTunes for the latest version that works with PowerPC.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.

Its running panther.

TIA!

I would install Leopard, the Maximum you can Install is 10.5.8 AFAIK, much more compatibility with Software and runs fine.

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
I don't know if your problem is Panther, but you need to upgrade your OS at least to Tiger.

Which browser are you using?

You can download iTunes for the latest version that works with PowerPC.

Where can I find Tiger (I would put a question mark there but all I get is this È) Everywhere seems to be expensive and I do not wish to spend a lot of money.
I am using safari.
Which version of iTunes is that and where could I download it (Question mark lol)

I would install Leopard, the Maximum you can Install is 10.5.8 AFAIK, much more compatibility with Software and runs fine.

Can you point me towards a seller that wil (legally) sell me a cheap copy. AFAIK whats that..(question mark) I would definatly be interested in Leapord.

iTunes 10.6.3

Where could I download thisÉ

Thank you all for your quick reply.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Where can I find Tiger (I would put a question mark there but all I get is this È) Everywhere seems to be expensive and I do not wish to spend a lot of money.
I am using safari.
Which version of iTunes is that and where could I download it (Question mark lol)

Can you point me towards a seller that wil (legally) sell me a cheap copy. AFAIK whats that..(question mark) I would definatly be interested in Leapord.

Where could I download thisÉ

Thank you all for your quick reply.

AFAIK you can not get a legal Leopard Installation disk if it did not come with your Mac, if it came original with the Mac you could call Apple and they send you out one if you paid for it, BUT it is not the Original OS so the only way is to get it the illegal way.

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
AFAIK you can not get a legal Leopard Installation disk if it did not come with your Mac, if it came original with the Mac you could call Apple and they send you out one if you paid for it, BUT it is not the Original OS so the only way is to get it the illegal way.

What does AFAIK mean.
So I have to do this illegally and I cant buy a copy.
Also why is my keyboard like this

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
What does AFAIK mean.
So I have to do this illegally and I cant buy a copy.
Also why is my keyboard like this

AFAIK = As far as I know
You can buy and overpriced copy of Leopard
Try remapping keys in System Preferences

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
I have Leopard and Tiger, Tiger is cheaper. I noticed that my new Mac aluminum keyboard does not work with my Powerbook (plugged in) but my work around was plugging them both into an Apple Aluminum monitor. Not sure what happened with the keyboards and PPC, someone on this forum knows about it, can't remember who.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
I have Leopard and Tiger, Tiger is cheaper. I noticed that my new Mac aluminum keyboard does not work with my Powerbook (plugged in) but my work around was plugging them both into an Apple Aluminum monitor. Not sure what happened with the keyboards and PPC, someone on this forum knows about it, can't remember who.

I've used my wired Aluminum keyboard with both Leopard and Tiger. This is the keyboard for Lion.

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto

Would I be happy with tiger or would I be better of with leapord
They keyboard works its just some keys are wonky

I've used my wired Aluminum keyboard with both Leopard and Tiger. This is the keyboard for Lion.

Its definatly not the lion keyboard.

I have another question, can I play 480p video from a hard drive on this mac.

DarkSel

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2012
AFAIK = As far as I know
You can buy and overpriced copy of Leopard
Try remapping keys in System Preferences

I'm curious as to why Leopard is so expensive compared to newer and older versions of OSX. Snow Leopard is only $30 new on Ebay compared to around $90 for a used copy of Leopard.

I got a free copy of Leopard when I bought my Powerbook, and I'm selling it on Ebay right now.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
That is still illegal.
Most if not are the Install disks which came with the Macs or copies, It is illegal to sell Install disks which came with a Mac.
I know what I would do:D

No PowerPC Macs came with Leopard, so it would be impossible to find the system disks that came with the mac for Leopard.

skateny

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
That is still illegal.
Most if not are the Install disks which came with the Macs or copies, It is illegal to sell Install disks which came with a Mac.
I know what I would do:D

I don't know how this is illegal. With that, I do know that full retail install versions of Leopard have been available on eBay and Craig's List for years, and that Apple has done nothing to stop these sales.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
I'm curious as to why Leopard is so expensive compared to newer and older versions of OSX. Snow Leopard is only $30 new on Ebay compared to around $90 for a used copy of Leopard.

I got a free copy of Leopard when I bought my Powerbook, and I'm selling it on Ebay right now.

Leopard had a significantly higher price at launch. SL is available from Apple for 20 or $30, and most people who can run SL can also run Lion and Mountain Lion, so they skip SL.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
No PowerPC Macs came with Leopard, so it would be impossible to find the system disks that came with the mac for Leopard.

Yup, true, forgot about that, so the only disks available are retail Versions and those are not illegal, BUT they are expensive, the cheap ones are copies though.
Shame Demonoid is gone;)

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
Snow Leopard represented a change for Apple in their pricing scheme. They decided that the OS was a service they provided to their Hardware customers, and starting with snow leopard, drastically slashed the price. They make their money off of the hardware, not the software.

Leopard and before was priced significantly more expensive, more on par with what Windows sells for (IIRC, Leopard was close to $200 new).

I know it seems odd that Leopard is more expensive, but that's why! You can still buy a new copy of Snow Leopard from Apple for under $30, and through the App store you can get mountain lion for $20.

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
I don't know how this is illegal. With that, I do know that full retail install versions of Leopard have been available on eBay and Craig's List for years, and that Apple has done nothing to stop these sales.

Apple doesn't make eBay take down the retail OS discs. They do police eBay for system specific discs, which cannot be resold according to the license.

Retail OS discs can be resold. Ignore any statement otherwise that the discs are illegal. That's not true.

The disc itself is your End User License Agreement (EULA) and once you sell your disc you also transfer the EULA and no longer own the product. Hence you no longer can legally use the product. Meaning, if you buy a used OS X disc, you are the new rightful owner. The previous owner technically is breaking the law if they continue to use that OS on any machine.

Last edited:

bwt89

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2012
Lille, France
Would I be happy with tiger or would I be better of with leapord

I installed Leopard when it came out (I was previously on Tiger, of course) and, as far as I'm concerned, the main difference between Tiger and Leopard in terms of performance is the boot speed. On a daily basis, I must say that there is not enough reasons for me thinking about reinstalling Tiger as my main OS. And my iMac G5 is similar to yours in terms of specs (2 Ghz, 2GB ram)

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
I installed Leopard when it came out (I was previously on Tiger, of course) and, as far as I'm concerned, the main difference between Tiger and Leopard in terms of performance is the boot speed. On a daily basis, I must say that there is not enough reasons for me thinking about reinstalling Tiger as my main OS. And my iMac G5 is similar to yours in terms of specs (2 Ghz, 2GB ram)

Thank you everyone for your advice. I could care less about boot speed. I am going to try to get a copy of tiger then. I still have a few questions:

1: How do you remap keys?
2: How can I play 480p media off a hard drive?
3: What is the best browser (Safari works OK, I would like to be able to use facebook though.)
4: How do I get mactubes to work?

Thanks in advance.

bwt89

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2012
Lille, France
Thank you everyone for your advice. I could care less about boot speed. I am going to try to get a copy of tiger then. I still have a few questions:

1: How do you remap keys?
2: How can I play 480p media off a hard drive?
3: What is the best browser (Safari works OK, I would like to be able to use facebook though.)
4: How do I get mactubes to work?

Thanks in advance.

1. I never had to remap keys so I can't help you.
2. On my iMac G5, I can with QuickTime.
3. I tried about every single browser for a PPC machine runing Leopard, Safari 5 is still the best for me (the "ClickToFlash" extension is great) and I have no problem at all with Facebook.
4. Mactubes ran great right of the "box", so I think you must use at least Tiger to get it runing fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.