Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
Me personally, its either one hand at 12 o'clock (Left Hand) or one hand at 9 o'clock with my elbow resting on the window sill

I would make a poll but everyone has their own style

Last edited:

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
One hand typing a text message and the other one playing with the radio. I steer with my knees.

How do you eat? Or touch yourself when you see some hottie crossing the street? You see, that's why i always drive with my kids in the car. They can help.

Renzatic

Suspended
The only time I drive with my hands at 9 and 3 is right after I've hydroplaned or something.

Most of the time I drive with one hand at 12, and the other resting on the window sill. On occasion, I'll drive with my hand in my lap and steer with my thumb.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
A little higher than 3 and 9, but for all intents and purposes, 3 and 9.

Last edited:

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
for all intensive purposes

Ummm....

But I digress. In pilot training, one of my first lessons was to NOT put both hands on the yoke unless absolutely needed. Rather, the left hand was to be on the yoke, while the right was free to change frequencies, write down information, apply flaps, whatever.

I still do that many year later while driving. Left is steering (unless both are needed) and the right is free. Position is dependent on traffic and they stretch of road I'm on.

andalusia

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
I never drive with my hand at 12 oclock.. and I can't see how others can do this comfortably! Either my elbows rest in my lap whilst my hands hold the bottom of the steering wheel or my right arm rests on the windowsill and my right hand at about 2-3 oclock (british driver here) with possibly my left hand on the gear stick or on my knee. Probably a bit too relaxed really (all dependant on weather conditions of course).

Face Ache

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
Oz
10 & 2 the way I was taught, although it's mainly because my steering wheel has comfy grips @ 10 & 2.

These days I've heard they teach 8 & 4 to avoid arm damage if your airbags go off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.