Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ImperialForces

macrumors regular
Original poster
I am using a superdrive and the new 27 inch iMac, 1TB Fusion drive. I'm trying to install windows 7 ultimate via bootcamp, but once bootcamp restarts the computer for windows to install, I see the dos interface with only a blinking line - the line you see to mark where you are on a document.

Dduval

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012
Make sure your copy of windows is the retail version. The Oem, student, etc versions typically will display this blinking cursor forever and a day, there are work arounds, but you'll have to google the solutions...

Dduval

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012
Hmm, have you let the screen with the blinking cursor sit for a long time? I mean like an hour? and see if it will proceed...

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
The new iMac doesn't come with an optical drive, right? And, from what I've read, the Windows installer doesn't play well with external disc drives. Best course of action may be to have Boot Camp Assistant create a bootable Windows thumb drive.

Insert your Windows disc and open Disk Utility. Click New Image. On the window that pops up, choose DVD/CD master as the file format and click ok. (This will create a .cdr file.)

oSRaS.png

Then open Boot Camp Assistant and check the box beside Create a Windows 7 install disk.

hOJ8H.png

You may need to change the .cdr extension to .iso, but I think BCA will recognize the file as is.

Last edited:

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
Try holding down Option (alt) before the Apple logo shows and select your Windows disc in the SuperDrive.

And backup any important files in case you end up doing something wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.