Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SoGood

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
If it's some dramatically new screen technology, then there's bound to have been years of development and there would have been talks in engineering literature and tech media. So no, won't bother on that front. That leaves packaging with other known technologies eg. Android OS, hand/finger control interface, internet/web connection, Samsung phone/tablet connectivity features etc. Yes, it would be "new" but hardly world shattering. The key question is whether Samsung can package this product as well as Apple can and have introduced at a time that will lead to rapid market adoption?

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2010
It will be rectangular with rounded corners and Samesung will claim they are innovating!

I had a Samsung tv and returned it after struggling with their lousy support. The color was awful!

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
If it truly has no bezel at all, that would open up great possibilities for setting up a matrix of TV's (4x4, 9x9, etc) where the screen is divided up and expanded to generate one large image. I've seen it with other wide screens before, but that 1" bezel equated to a 2" sewer grate over your favorite show. Not any more? Hello, 200" TV! :)

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
There's no way they will release a "vertical TV". It's just a gimmick to draw attention. The TV will be a widescreen 3D TV most likely. An actual portrait display would be the dumbest thing ever. :cool:

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Whatever it is, that they're releasing, what I wanne know is, how do they keep their new products so well hidden from prying eyes and the rumor mill? Heck, they're even advertising the advent of a new product. Can't imagine APPLE maintaining this level of pre-release secrecy. Without this 'teaser' ad, who would've known?

Either a testament to SAMSUNG's 'cloaking' prowess or the inevitability of intense scrutiny surrounding everything APPLE does.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Well, now I'm curious. Not a huge a Samsung fan, but want to know what this is all about.

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
guaranteed it'll be a bezel-less design with only pixels facing forward and i have to say that would be super cool indeed.

But knowing samsung it'll still have their UGLY logo spread across the front in massive hideous white type on a transparent bit of plastic! Yep you can almost certainly guarantee that.

This AD is horrid though it seems to just tell their view... hey this is a new hot product. Ok i'll judge that for myself samsung, you should never need to tell me anything other than why i should buy it ever. I want to know what i can do with it and what features are compelling enough for me to buy one.

I have to say samsung makes great tvs and panels but the smart bits are so poorly designed and just crap that even if this was a must buy i think i would still avoid like the plague. The just don't understand how important the OS on a TV could be. If apple ever do release a TV you can bet on it being a killer not because of any gimmick or feature but every detail being just right from design to OS. Samsung still has so much to learn.

Meandmunch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
I've had the same TV for nearly 4 years and haven't seen a reason to upgrade. I don't watch enough TV to care.

As it stands I watch more content on my iPad.

If Apple could recreate the iPad experience on my giant TV I would be all over it. I spend more time watching and browsing content on my iPad than I do my regular set.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
While I think the idea of transparent displays is very cool, I can't imagine one practical use for them for an average consumer. Maybe for the military, maybe.

My TV is transparent! I can see the wall behind where it sits, which looks just like the rest of the wall!

My phone is transparent! I can see the ground when I text!

I just don't see the actual point, beyond the company flexing their engineering prowess.

Also I think the idea of a portrait TV is kind of stupid.

cmvsm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2004
Must be one of the last Apple ideas Samsung was exposed to before the break up. Might as well ring in the good year with one last patent/idea infringement.

uknowimright

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2011
Must be one of the last Apple ideas Samsung was exposed to before the break up. Might as well ring in the good year with one last patent/idea infringement.

I hope you don't actually believe that, if so wow

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Knowing Samsung I wouldn't be surprised if this "new TV" is indeed a 52" smartphone.

The voice activated TV that you call out station numbers and it displays them in squares so you can see whats on and it takes video phone calls?

LOL, they had that in the movie Back To the Future 2 which was in the late 80's? Thought that was cool then, looks like someone was ahead of their time.

----------

I don't care how great the tv is, it's all about the content and the software used to access that content. Samsung might have a nice interface coming but I'm certain when apple shows us what they have been working on (for a very long time) it will be better than anything anyone else has been able to come up with.

Now that's fanboy at its finest right there. Im sure Apple will have a nice TV set eventually but c-mon. Assuming they will blow away those that have been doing it for years?
One thing will be for sure, Apples TV will cost more than anyone elses.

imageWIS

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
NYC
Screens should be wide, as the human eye sees a far wider distance than it does tall. 16:9 makes a lot more sense than say 4:3.

handsome pete

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2008
Still looks like the new Samsung TV is going to have a bezel/border/edge (judging from the video under the screen). Fail.

Because if there's one thing that completely ruins my tv watching experience, it's a border around the picture.

tkwolf

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
A lot of you here (not everyone though) are quite bitter about this whole samsung product launch. This site is becoming like those anti android isheep circlejerk. Samsung has a new tv every damn year, just like how apple has a new iMac, iPhone etc every damn year. Why so bitter? If some of you have not gotten over the whole patent thing then maybe it is time to get over it.

ProVideo

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
The music in that promo sounds like it's from 1991, not 2013. Reminds me of something from KidPix or Mario Paint.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.