Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ben2e

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
I know this subject has lots of coverage. I'm aware of fixes with grounding the 2-7 Sata pins to disable the drive sensor and using software to control fan speed and yes, this is part of an SSD install. The local Apple Service Provider says they install a separate sensor such as this:

http://applecomponents.com/items/92...-optical/0000004398?pn=1&cmp=0172&per_page=30

(I'm not sure I have the right part). Has anyone done it this way or know what parts are necessary ? They charge $90 for the sensor and $50 above the fee for adding an SSD so total is $300. It's a little on the steep side for adding a sensor but when I tried my iMac surgery, it wasn't much fun.

I have a Seagate Barracuda 3TB I plan to install. I'd also read if you bought the same brand drive as you had (my prior 27" iMac had a 1TB Barracuda) that the sensor may be in the drive and setup already. Of course I'd prefer to do this work once and only once so I thought I'd see if anyone else has tried this.

Thanks in advance

Ben

ben2e

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
Replacing my 1TB Barracuda with the 3TB Barracuda did indeed spin up my fan. I finally bailed and took it to the local mac repair ship that had a German retrofit part that contained an actual temperature control sensor. The part was $90 so it makes for an expensive extra 2 TB. Sorry, since the shop did the install, I don't know the exact part but I did see a few with a brief search so they're out there, just not easy to get.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Replacing my 1TB Barracuda with the 3TB Barracuda did indeed spin up my fan. I finally bailed and took it to the local mac repair ship that had a German retrofit part that contained an actual temperature control sensor. The part was $90 so it makes for an expensive extra 2 TB. Sorry, since the shop did the install, I don't know the exact part but I did see a few with a brief search so they're out there, just not easy to get.

You could have just used a wire to ground the connection. I did it with the wire from a twisty-tie.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
He said he did that but is looking for a solution so that the fans/sensor works just like with a stock drive.

I've been at the point where I wish my fans would work automatically w/o fan control software myself.
Anytime someone uses either my '09 or '11 iMac I always have to remind them and check to make sure the fans are cranked up before gaming, hell even my sister-in-law playing Facebook games will turn the machines into a space heater if the fans aren't turned up beforehand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.