Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Another ironic thing is that generally we will not remember our dreams if we don't get woken up DURING them.

In other words, that awesome dream won't even be remembered if his phone or something else doesn't wake him up before it ends!

I realize most people don't know this, but if you DO know this, the ad suddenly becomes ridiculous, buggy iOS feature or not. :)

thelonelylimo

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2010
Ohio
Serena wears Nike though. And Venus is wearing her own brand, EleVen. It definitely looks like Serena but I can't make my mind up on Venus. It looks like her but on the other hand it doesn't. The fact that she's wearing EleVen suggests it is, but I just don't know.

EDIT: I would love to have a dream where I played the Williams sisters at table tennis. But I play tennis and I really like them so that's probably why. :)

Serena Williams wears Nike. Tim Cook is on the board of Nike.

euphlyusUNO

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2011
Another ironic thing is that generally we will not remember our dreams if we don't get woken up DURING them.

In other words, that awesome dream won't even be remembered if his phone or something else doesn't wake him up before it ends!

I realize most people don't know this, but if you DO know this, the ad suddenly becomes ridiculous, buggy iOS feature or not. :)

Nerd

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
well this is embarrassing

Given that, like so many other bugs, this one was a minority and could be due to any of a numbers of factors including jailbreaking, carrier systems feeding back information to phones with 'set date and time automatically' turned on, having not updated past 6.0 and so on its not really that embarrassing.

Or wouldn't be if the blogs weren't hyping it as a fatal flaw etc for hit fodder

----------

What bug? I mean, did anyone actually experience it? I didn't.

Not me or my flatmates on several devices. None of my friends or co workers. None of my 7 siblings or their SO or my friends and family in several countries

----------

Tim was a little blatant with the Nike placement in my opinion.

It might not be his choice. Serena is under an endorsement contract with Nike and would be required to wear their shoes all the time. Given that Apple is partners with Nike, Tim wouldn't fuss over that bit. And Serena is known for wearing headbands often it not all the time when she's playing so it's really not that over the top. It's just Serena being Serena.

Last edited:

CShort

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
Overdue

This is an awesome feature since I use my iPhone for business, I can set schedule outside of business hours when only certain people can bug me.

Well overdue feature. Other phones have had email schedules and timed profiles for many many years. It would be nice to have a separate email schedule because always out of hours I want my phone to fully function, but I just don't want work emails. And manually stopping it???? not a solution. Work/life balance - not with an iPhone. It's a 100% iPhone life dominated by the phone. This may seem a bit harsh for some but I get lots of emails...

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Ugh, these bugs aren't even funny anymore,

Oh I don't know. I find it a lot less funny the way that the sites hype up these issues that happen to maybe 2% of folks and are often tied to a flaw in something that Apple doesn't control (like you living in an area with ***** cell reception) as major issues, fatal errors, design flaws all to get more page hits.

foidulus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2007
Oh I don't know. I find it a lot less funny the way that the sites hype up these issues that happen to maybe 2% of folks and are often tied to a flaw in something that Apple doesn't control (like you living in an area with ***** cell reception) as major issues, fatal errors, design flaws all to get more page hits.

So basically I should just be happy with the fact that I paid Apple money, money by the way that DOESNT have bugs, and in turn get a buggy product? But it's ok, because Apple! Maybe you like to think that way, but I certainly don't. Using an Apple product anymore is like using a Microsoft one, frustrating and buggy. Either Apple changes or most of it's customers will abandon them, simple as that.

----------

Given that, like so many other bugs, this one was a minority and could be due to any of a numbers of factors including jailbreaking, carrier systems feeding back information to phones with 'set date and time automatically' turned on, having not updated past 6.0 and so on its not really that embarrassing.

Wow Apple apologists out in force, "obviously the problem with the Apple product is obviously you don't love Apple enough". I have an un-jailbroken iphone running the latest and greatest software version, with the correct date set, and guess what, I'M AFFECTED BY THE BUG! So yeah.....I'm more than a little peeved that Apple simply didn't care enough about their product to actually do even rudimentary testing.

tekstud

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2010
What a butt awful commercial for Apple- to highlight a feature very few will ever use? You can power down the phone or shut the ringer off. And the Williams sisters pushing Apple tech? Bizarre. Fandroids must be in ecstasy.

hrishidev

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2007
I liked the Ad but I was affected by DND bug. It was active till 12 pm & missed called from friends who called me to wish . Later, I turned it off ...... :rolleyes:

mindvent

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2012
***** happens. Live your life and stop crying over spilt milk. If it upsets you so much, stop buying Apple. Simple.

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
It also happened to me today 2nd January. I simply flicked the DND switch to the off position. Took me 2 seconds, no stress, no uproar, no "epic fail Apple!", no tears.

What a lot of you are forgetting (or simply dont know) is that a little glitch like that is standard on an Android device (trust me I set up two for family members over the festive period, my girlfriend has an Android, and I peviously owned a SGSII). A normal random everyday occurrence. Hmmm so and so has stopped working, lets reboot/remove the battery etc.

Problem is, when its Apple everything is micro analysed and blown out of proportion. As an Apple customer I am amazed at the obsession people have with the company, and it wont slow down or stop until they are the underdog again and thats a fact. The page clicks and comments an Apple article gets on ANY tech site is insane. Just click on a random Android related article and watch the tumble weed blow past in the empty comments section.

Last edited:

foidulus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2007
It also happened to me today 2nd January. I simply flicked the DND switch to the off position. Took me 2 seconds, no stress, no uproar, no "epic fail Apple!", no tears.

What a lot of you are forgetting (or simply dont know) is that a little glitch like that is standard on an Android device (trust me I set up two for family members over the festive period). A normal random everyday occurrence. Hmmm so and so has stopped working, lets reboot/remove the battery etc.

Problem is, when its Apple everything is micro analysed and blown out of proportion. As an Apple customer I am amazed at the obsession people have with the company, and it wont slow down or stop until they are the underdog again.

Difference comes down to price. I paid more for my Apple product expecting a BETTER experience than what comes standard with Microsoft or Android. If Apple is going to provide with a buggy experience anyway, I could just go with one of the other vendors. Still a buggy frustrating experience, but at a reduced cost. I am willing to pay more for quality, but only if Apple actually PROVIDES that quality. I'm not willing to pay more for Apple to say they provide quality and then not even bother with some pretty rudimentary software testing.

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
Difference comes down to price. I paid more for my Apple product expecting a BETTER experience than what comes standard with Microsoft or Android. If Apple is going to provide with a buggy experience anyway, I could just go with one of the other vendors. Still a buggy frustrating experience, but at a reduced cost. I am willing to pay more for quality, but only if Apple actually PROVIDES that quality. I'm not willing to pay more for Apple to say they provide quality and then not even bother with some pretty rudimentary software testing.

Last I checked the SGS3 and other high end Androids are nearly the same price as the iPhone.

And you cant manually flick the DND switch off just once because it didnt do it itself? REALLY? LOL its crazy that people are even debating such things! I have an excuse, Im bored in work.

cfs112

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
I've been waiting for Apple to have more funny commercials like those Samsung Galaxy ones, and I really liked this one. Simple and comical. But in terms of exciting, those colorful Surface Tablet ones are a lot cooler, too bad the product itself is lackluster. I tried it out in the store and tactile response is poor and so is opening the Microsoft office apps.

jwkay

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Yes, it was easy to turn DND off manually this morning, luckily having noticed it. I'm not crying "Epic fail", simply reporting a bug. As it has now affected different users on different dates, it calls into question future reliability. It's obviously not just a January 1st issue.

swarmster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2004
Is a bug that happens for one day that affects a minor feature really "embarrassing"?

It's not even ironic, because the bug would have left your Do Not Disturb on, so you'd still be enjoying your dream.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.