Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HerrT

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012

besweeet2

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
San Antonio, TX
I'm not sure, but would it help to install the Realtek AudioHD from http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads...=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

As far as I concern, it helped, when I got no sound at all on different setups private or at work. Perhaps it installs some general audio components in Windows. Could you give it a try?

Best wishes

I'll try that out, but I don't see how it would be any different from installing the regular set of Boot Camp drivers, considering everything worked fine via a normal Boot Camp/vBIOS installation.

Update: Nope, didn't work (as expected), but thanks for the suggestion.

I'm assuming that there's something within the Mac EFI that's simply causing some inconsistencies between what Windows is expecting and what it's actually getting.

besweeet2

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
San Antonio, TX
I went into an EFI shell (booted via USB), ran pci -i -b, and got this:
photo1yv.jpg

photo2gf.jpg

Windows is already seeing a bus/dev/func of 00/02/00 for the HD 4000, as shown here:
capturewsy.png

Here's what Device Manager says for the audio card:
capture2lku.png

These seem as though they're hardware issues, so I'm assuming there's something that could be done in the EFI shell to get things to register properly.

Again, I've had no issues with the hardware when booting via Boot Camp/vBIOS.

Oh, and I have igdkmd64.sys disabled, or else I'll just get a black screen when booting.

Suspended
Oct 10, 2011
... and can access the Boot Camp Control Panel by using Command Prompt and running runas /trustlevel:0x20000 "C:\Windows\System32\AppleControlPanel.exe".

What a good trick ! Which panel appear ? Could you setup the MagicMouse and Trackpad ?

Does Apple upgrade the bootcamp files ? Which version Apple provide now when you download the files by the "bootcamp assistant" under MacOsX ?

besweeet2

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
San Antonio, TX
What a good trick ! Which panel appear ? Could you setup the MagicMouse and Trackpad ?

Does Apple upgrade the bootcamp files ? Which version Apple provide now when you download the files by the "bootcamp assistant" under MacOsX ?

Your regular Boot Camp Control Panel app for Windows will come up. I configured my MacBook Air's trackpad with no problems.

Updates for Windows drivers via Apple will come through Apple Software Update.

oldmbpro31

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2012
Please help with Installing Windows 8 on old MacBook Pro 3.1

Hi!
I desperately need help of the experts in this thread, please.
I'm trying to install Windows 8 64 bit in EFI mode on my old MacBook Pro 3.1 (2008 with NVidia) from USB disk on key.
The destination hard disk is clean with just GPT label and protective MBR.
I created the autounattend.xml file that works quite well on another UEFI machine (not Mac), installs properly and asks no questions.
However, I'm not able to proceed with the MacBook Pro after the first automatic reboot (just after the USB contents are finished copying).
I invoke bootmgfw.efi from the hard drive via EFI shell of rEFInd, but the installation doesn't proceed further.
After I switch off the machine and try to invoke bootmgfw.efi from the hard drive again, it offers me to use safe mode, but that doesn't help either.

Could you, please, instruct me what to do?
If some binary module has to be involved, can you, please, send it to oldmbpro31@gmail.com?

BTW my internal Superdrive is broken, so I need to use USB disk.

Thanks much.

yfnew

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
Hi!
I desperately need help of the experts in this thread, please.
I'm trying to install Windows 8 64 bit in EFI mode on my old MacBook Pro 3.1 (2008 with NVidia) from USB disk on key.
The destination hard disk is clean with just GPT label and protective MBR.
I created the autounattend.xml file that works quite well on another UEFI machine (not Mac), installs properly and asks no questions.
However, I'm not able to proceed with the MacBook Pro after the first automatic reboot (just after the USB contents are finished copying).
I invoke bootmgfw.efi from the hard drive via EFI shell of rEFInd, but the installation doesn't proceed further.
After I switch off the machine and try to invoke bootmgfw.efi from the hard drive again, it offers me to use safe mode, but that doesn't help either.

Could you, please, instruct me what to do?
If some binary module has to be involved, can you, please, send it to oldmbpro31@gmail.com?

BTW my internal Superdrive is broken, so I need to use USB disk.

Thanks much.

Hi oldmbpro31,

I think what is causing your problem is your graphic driver. Have you set your pci registers on your mac?

I think what you can do is:
1. set up your pci registers for your graphics card and your pci bridge. Sadly I don't know the registers for Macbook Pro 3,1, but I think you can search some previous thread and set up your registers yourself.

OR

2. THE EASY WAY -- delete your graphic driver after your first reboot. To do this, you should reboot into your installation disk after the windows installation has called the first reboot. After getting into the installation disk, press shift+F10 to open the command line. Then, type the following to find the nvidia driver folder you need to delete:
c:
cd windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository
dir /p
hit enter until you find a folder starting with "nv"
then remember the folder name(will be really long) and press control+c
then, type:
rd (folder name without this parentheses) /s
then close the command line and reboot into your windows, and it should be fine.
HOWEVER, you won't have any hardware acceleration for your graphics card because you don't have any graphics driver

Those methods work for my Macbook Pro 6,2 and I think they should work for your mac, but I am not that sure.

Good luck,
Ed

neulbomi

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2012
Korea, Ansan
Fixed black screen after windows 8 install on iMac 9.1

Hello, MacRumors!!
I recently installed windows 8 EFI version on my iMac 9.1
And I found non-intel HD graphic machine has different file have to remove from System32 folder.
For me, it was 'nvlddmkm.sys'.
After I removed from System32 folder or you can simply rename it .sys.old, win 8 boots normally.
So I could set display driver into 'not in use' on the Device manager which you can easily access from right click menu on start bar in Desktop mode.

Hope you guys who struggle with a problem same as me can fix it.

besweeet2

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Hello, MacRumors!!
I recently installed windows 8 EFI version on my iMac 9.1
And I found non-intel HD graphic machine has different file have to remove from System32 folder.
For me, it was 'nvlddmkm.sys'.
After I removed from System32 folder or you can simply rename it .sys.old, win 8 boots normally.
So I could set display driver into 'not in use' on the Device manager which you can easily access from right click menu on start bar in Desktop mode.

Hope you guys who struggle with a problem same as me can fix it.

That's great, except that anything that relies on graphics will probably perform poorly.

rockinrobstar

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
Wiki now up

For those that are interested I have set up a wiki at http://www.multiboot.info. Please feel free to register and record the specifics for your particular machine(s) including the PCI settings (if) needed, the current support status, drivers required etc so that we can build up a database of what works and what doesn't. If your not too familiar with wikis - thats fine - just click edit and paste the details you want recorded and I can clean it up later.

oldmbpro31

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2012
Hi Ed,
Thank you very much for the answer.
Until things settle I use refind boot cd to get efi shell and boot what is needed.
I used gparted livecd and in linux deleted from disk c: nvidia driver files you told me.
After that thanks to your guidance I succeeded to complete Windows 8 64 bit unattended installation and log in via remote desktop.
However, the screen of the MacBook remains inactive and for some reason not every boot succeeds, maybe it's worth investigating with boot logging.
Since I have no video at all and VGA card is seen with an exclamation mark in Device Manager, I tried to install the latest NVidia drivers as I think ac1d on this thread told those drivers don't need pci registers to be set up.
The NVidia card in my MacBook Pro 3.1 17" is NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT VEN_10DE&DEV_0407&SUBSYS_00A0106B.
A notebook version of NVidia 310.70 installer recognizes the card and installs, but after the reboot the screen is black and Device Manager shows NVidia GeForce 8600M GT with an exclamation mark saying PCI Slot 1 (PCI bus 1, device 0, function 0) "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)".

I tried setting pci registers for both the VGA card and the bridge, but it didn't help.
mm 01000004 7 -PCI
mm 0001003E 8 -PCI

The audio is RealTek and functions properly using bootcamp drivers.

What could you suggest me, please, as I'm stuck and can't understand which pci registers I need to set as the guide with images in this thread already doesn't have the images available?
How could I find the appropriate commands for setting registers for that PCI bus 1, device 0, function 0 on MacBook Pro 3.1?

Thanks much.

Hi oldmbpro31,

I think what is causing your problem is your graphic driver. Have you set your pci registers on your mac?

I think what you can do is:
1. set up your pci registers for your graphics card and your pci bridge. Sadly I don't know the registers for Macbook Pro 3,1, but I think you can search some previous thread and set up your registers yourself.

OR

2. THE EASY WAY -- delete your graphic driver after your first reboot. To do this, you should reboot into your installation disk after the windows installation has called the first reboot. After getting into the installation disk, press shift+F10 to open the command line. Then, type the following to find the nvidia driver folder you need to delete:
c:
cd windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository
dir /p
hit enter until you find a folder starting with "nv"
then remember the folder name(will be really long) and press control+c
then, type:
rd (folder name without this parentheses) /s
then close the command line and reboot into your windows, and it should be fine.
HOWEVER, you won't have any hardware acceleration for your graphics card because you don't have any graphics driver

Those methods work for my Macbook Pro 6,2 and I think they should work for your mac, but I am not that sure.

Good luck,
Ed

Last edited:

oldmbpro31

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2012
I would like to add.
I booted grub2 efi from ubuntu 12.10 cd and chainloaded bootmgfw.efi from the hard disk to boot Windows 8.
The screen continues to display grub commands and output (so it seems pci registers are not a problem here) and the newest NVidia 310.70 driver in Windows 8 seems just not to start properly.
After logging in via remote desktop I see the same exclamation mark in device manager and device status says "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)".
Can anybody help me to debug this, please?

BTW, ubuntu installation also can't start graphics and the screen is black.

Thanks much.

Last edited:

yfnew

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
Hi Ed,
Thank you very much for the answer.
Until things settle I use refind boot cd to get efi shell and boot what is needed.
I used gparted livecd and in linux deleted from disk c: nvidia driver files you told me.
After that thanks to your guidance I succeeded to complete Windows 8 64 bit unattended installation and log in via remote desktop.
However, the screen of the MacBook remains inactive and for some reason not every boot succeeds, maybe it's worth investigating with boot logging.
Since I have no video at all and VGA card is seen with an exclamation mark in Device Manager, I tried to install the latest NVidia drivers as I think ac1d on this thread told those drivers don't need pci registers to be set up.
The NVidia card in my MacBook Pro 3.1 17" is NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT VEN_10DE&DEV_0407&SUBSYS_00A0106B.
A notebook version of NVidia 310.70 installer recognizes the card and installs, but after the reboot the screen is black and Device Manager shows NVidia GeForce 8600M GT with an exclamation mark saying PCI Slot 1 (PCI bus 1, device 0, function 0) "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)".

I tried setting pci registers for both the VGA card and the bridge, but it didn't help.
mm 01000004 7 -PCI
mm 0001003E 8 -PCI

The audio is RealTek and functions properly using bootcamp drivers.

What could you suggest me, please, as I'm stuck and can't understand which pci registers I need to set as the guide with images in this thread already doesn't have the images available?
How could I find the appropriate commands for setting registers for that PCI bus 1, device 0, function 0 on MacBook Pro 3.1?

Thanks much.

I think you can use Nvidia driver without setting your pci registers only if you are using Mac Pro not Macbook Pro. Also, for me, I also sometimes fail to boot and have to reboot. For the display issue, can you succeed to boot into safe mode with your graphic working? If you can, I think the reason for blackscreen is just your graphic driver.

Ed

oldmbpro31

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2012
Hi Ed,
No, booting into a safe mode also leaves the screen intact.
Thank you.

I think you can use Nvidia driver without setting your pci registers only if you are using Mac Pro not Macbook Pro. Also, for me, I also sometimes fail to boot and have to reboot. For the display issue, can you succeed to boot into safe mode with your graphic working? If you can, I think the reason for blackscreen is just your graphic driver.

Ed

unionaire

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2012
Very difficult to do this because of numerous BCDErrors and generally poor EFI Support for Win7. It is possible. I had Windows 7 working on my Mac Pro for a long time.

Hi DaGr8Gatzby, windows 8 installs normally on my iMac 12,2 (mid 2011), but audio does not.

I was wondering if the audio would work if I follow your guide to install windows 7 on the machine?
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/14631912/

redcolumbia

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2010
Has anyone tried installing Windows 8 EFI (native) boot on macbook air using the new EFI 2.6 update Apple released on Jan. 9 2013?

Does it solve the no audio issues and accelerated gfx for intel HD4000 graphics card?

If not, can anyone give instructions on how to set the registers manually to get those working?

Thanks!

Suspended
Oct 10, 2011
Something New

I just have something new with my Win8 installation !

I have an iMac with a ATI Radeon Mobility 4850 which is desactivated if I don't set the PCI register. The installation of a new driver did'nt do anything and everything works fine with it desactivated.

On this computer if I set the pci register I will have a black screen till I desactivated the ATI driver and select the VGA driver.

But today I just try the New Ati Catalist Legacy 13.1 without setting the pci register and the screen goes black but the computer continue working ! It's like I set the pci register on the fly.

There is no release note but according to some tech review the drivers is the same with a new *.inf file for win8 (the former, release by Windows Update used a win7 *.inf file).

I will try to set the pci register and boot maybe I will have a good suprise.

rob79uk

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2013
Has anyone tried installing Windows 8 EFI (native) boot on macbook air using the new EFI 2.6 update Apple released on Jan. 9 2013?

Does it solve the no audio issues and accelerated gfx for intel HD4000 graphics card?

If not, can anyone give instructions on how to set the registers manually to get those working?

Thanks!

Unfortunately yes, I've tried this and the same problem persists; installing the latest Intel drivers don't seem to work.

If anyone has the PCI registers needed for this I'd like to know too, although it appears that this may be a hardware/driver issue as mentioned previously...

Last edited:

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA

mac-hacks

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2011
Swimming In Tsunami
I feel like a punch drunk fighter... will this allow me to enable the iGPU on my 2011 15 MBP running Windows 8 EFI?

try: AMD Catalyst 13.2 BETA 5 (12.100.17.0 February 2)

"ATI Radeon HD 6750" & "6700M series" listed as supported cards. I do not have Windows 8 install at moment on my MBP to test.

AMD68E5.2 = "ATI Radeon HD 6350"
AMD68DA.1 = "ATI Radeon HD 6390"
AMD68DA.2 = "ATI Radeon HD 6490"
AMD68D9.1 = "ATI Radeon HD 6510"
AMD68D9.2 = "ATI Radeon HD 6610"
AMD68BE.1 = "ATI Radeon HD 6750"
AMD68F9.8 = "ATI Radeon HD 7350"
AMD68E1.15 = "ATI Radeon HD 7350"
AMD68E5.3 = "ATI Radeon HD 7350"

AMD68BA.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series"
AMD68BF.4 = "AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series"
AMD673E.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series"
AMD6740.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 6700M Series"
AMD6738.4 = "AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series"
AMD6739.2 = "AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series"
AMD689B.2 = "AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series"
AMD68A8.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 6800M Series"
AMD6718.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series"

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
try: AMD Catalyst 13.2 BETA 5 (12.100.17.0 February 2)

"ATI Radeon HD 6750" & "6700M series" listed as supported cards. I do not have Windows 8 install at moment on my MBP to test.

AMD68E5.2 = "ATI Radeon HD 6350"
AMD68DA.1 = "ATI Radeon HD 6390"
AMD68DA.2 = "ATI Radeon HD 6490"
AMD68D9.1 = "ATI Radeon HD 6510"
AMD68D9.2 = "ATI Radeon HD 6610"
AMD68BE.1 = "ATI Radeon HD 6750"
AMD68F9.8 = "ATI Radeon HD 7350"
AMD68E1.15 = "ATI Radeon HD 7350"
AMD68E5.3 = "ATI Radeon HD 7350"

AMD68BA.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series"
AMD68BF.4 = "AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series"
AMD673E.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series"
AMD6740.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 6700M Series"
AMD6738.4 = "AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series"
AMD6739.2 = "AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series"
AMD689B.2 = "AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series"
AMD68A8.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 6800M Series"
AMD6718.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series"

I'm not interested in enabling the dGPU. If I was interested in that I wouldn't try to install via EFI.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.