Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
There's no way they make a profit on the service on the rMPB. On the cMBP, to replace the to case, display and battery would have cost over £250, plus £24 labour. On the rMBP battery replacement program, they charge £159 including labour.

Are you suggesting they replace the whole top case and display when you pay for battery service? While it's expensive, I would guess much of it is tied to labor.

A = Association

Apple is a member of the Association. How do you buy yourself? Would the SEC approve?

It was sarcasm. I know some people on here say stuff like that in a literal or figurative sense. In this case I recall many of his other posts, so it's obvious.

jashic

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2006
They sacrificed VESA support in order to make it appear thin when you look at it from a 64 degree angle. Any other angle? Looks like a pregnant bulb. But at 64 degrees, you can admire how thin it really is.

That in itself was worth losing DVD/CD capabilities, upgradeability and VESA mounts. YES! :rolleyes:

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Are you suggesting they replace the whole top case and display when you pay for battery service? While it's expensive, I would guess much of it is tied to labor.

On the retina, yes that is the case - the battery replacement service requires replacement of the top case, into which the battery is glued, and this also includes the trackpad since that's under the battery.

On the retina, it's a ~30-45 minute job I'd say.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
On the retina, yes that is the case - the battery replacement service requires replacement of the top case, into which the battery is glued, and this also includes the trackpad since that's under the battery.
Battery in top case, behind the screen and under the trackpad, w00t?!

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
Old news MacRumors

Instead of saying 'old news' I suggest you say 'Slow news day?' or 'Shouldn't this be on page two?'

----------

They sacrificed VESA support in order to make it appear thin when you look at it from a 64 degree angle. Any other angle? Looks like a pregnant bulb. But at 64 degrees, you can admire how thin it really is.

That in itself was worth losing DVD/CD capabilities, upgradeability and VESA mounts. YES! :rolleyes:

But even you have to admit it. Damn it looks thin. Have you been doing Pilates? Damn!

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010

On the retina, it's a ~30-45 minute job I'd say.

That sounds like an excessive waste of parts. If they're doing this, the battery life cycles must look truly excellent these days. I can't imagine they want to perform such repairs on the majority of these machines.

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
Instead of saying 'old news' I suggest you say 'Slow news day?' or 'Shouldn't this be on page two?'

Nope, it was old news. Started to get a little smelly. Past it's sell by date.

I tried to use my computer sitting at a 64° angle, and it was extremely hard to be productive. Would adding those things back in make it more usable at that angle? :D My superdrive is taking up desk space, I'm thinking of duct taping it to the side. I wonder what angle I need to mount it at...

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Hmmm,
you answered this question:

with this answer:

Sorry for my poor understanding, but why they are replacing the screen when they change the battery?

Ah apologies, I didn't read that bit properly! it's not the display, just the top case, battery and trackpad (and any cables, etc that are within the top case :)).

jashic

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2006
Nope, it was old news. Started to get a little smelly. Past it's sell by date.

I tried to use my computer sitting at a 64° angle, and it was extremely hard to be productive. Would adding those things back in make it more usable at that angle? :D My superdrive is taking up desk space, I'm thinking of duct taping it to the side. I wonder what angle I need to mount it at...

I suggest duct taping it to the base of the feet. Yeah, the non-adjustable one. If you happen to be tall, you could duct tape it to the bottom of the non-adjustable feet, then you can at the same time raise the iMac to meet your eyes.

Make sure you get high quality duct tape. It's a good thing duct tape already has an aluminum color that matches your iMac. It was all meant to be this way. Trust Apple.

Untethered

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2012
Boston, Ma
\/read\/

Anybody whose wondering, VESA announced they're working on a new mount for the new iMac. Lol. Nobody else commented about it :3.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
"New VESA mount doesn't need any screws or holes for them! You just glue the imac to the mount! And if you want to remove it, all you need is hairdryer! Magical!!!"

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012

The "zomg so much bulge and they hide it in photos!" this is overblown.

I have a new 27" iMac and the way my desk is situated, when I watch TV from bed the iMac is side on to me and it doesn't look like it has a huge bulge at all. It looks very svelte.

From all the QQ and wailing on the forums I was expecting it to look like Airbus' Super Guppy transport aircraft.

It doesn't look anything like that.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Having unnecessary loose parts like tiny screws is not inherently superior.

Except in the case of computers, yeah, it is better. We're not talking about a device you fondle every day. Short of touching the power button I don't think I've ever touched my iMac and I've certainly never seen screws, despite them existing on it (I assume they're hidden amongst the grill under the computer).

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It's remarks like this that make me wonder if these stories are thrown together for the sake of generating ad revenue...

iMac owners frequently mount their machines to wall brackets for use as kiosks or other commercial displays, or to attach them to an articulating wall mount for flexible placement.

Frequently? Really?

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
okay so the performance of teh new imacs os great, but in terms of ergonomics (and ergonomic compatibility) they suck.
Thin is nice, but what is the reasoning behind the vesa mount incompatibility?
And the headphone jack on the back(and all other jacks as well).
Do people in Cupertino actually use iMacs?
(I've been there, they do).
As much as I dig Apple gear, they have lately been giving me too many reasons NOT to buy. Due to space constraints I WILL be wall mounting any iMac I buy on an articulated wall arm. If the current model won't do that, I will have to pick up a refurb or used model. Lower performance, but it does what I want.
Gotta wonder about the Edu market. I see alot of wall mounted imacs in libraries and schools.

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
I question why the iMac ever needed to be thinner. I would rather a THICKER desktop since it wouldn't take up any more space with the iMac design if it would mean double or triple the power.

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
With regards to the 'look' of the new imac, sure, it does look a bit cute to see the very thin edge effect, however as far as overall look goes, for my money the slightly chunkier previous model 'looks' nicer to my delicate sensibilities.

The 2011 imac still looks the same from normal viewing angles but from the side it has a more solid robust and authoritative appearance. The 2012 iMac looks a trifle 'flimsy' and effete, and dare I say it, a bit 'girly'.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.