Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you buy a computer from iBuypower?

• Yes

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • No

Votes: 18 90.0%

• Total voters

jae999

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2012
I considered this question when trying to decide between having a new PC built and switching over to Mac with the new iMacs. I read so many bad impressions with that company that I would not order from them. When spending this kind of money on something I'd rather not trust a company that has had plenty of problems.

Gelite55

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
I considered this question when trying to decide between having a new PC built and switching over to Mac with the new iMacs. I read so many bad impressions with that company that I would not order from them. When spending this kind of money on something I'd rather not trust a company that has had plenty of problems.

I'm thinking the same thing. Plus I've heard numerous stories of them not paying for return shipping when something goes wrong.

LachlanH

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2011
If Apple aren't building it for me, I build it myself.

Been building my own PC's for the past decade, I find it quite fun actually.

canderton

macrumors member
May 25, 2010
their website honestly looks worse than some of the projects we made in my freshman year web development class...

no.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
They have been around almost as long as Alienware (before Dell bought them out) but they aren't known for well built computers.
Not saying it is crap but there are other options I would purchase a PC from.

A good friend of mine bought one a year ago from ibuypower and the power supply and video card died within 6 months, before that he had one I built him in '03. Things can go wrong with any manufacturer but like someone else mentioned they wanted him to ship the entire PC back to them to diagnose but wanted him to pay for shipping when we had already switched PSU's and found that was the problem.

He just ate the cost of the PSU because it ended up less than shipping, with the video card they told him it would be anywhere from 6-10 week turn around for diagnosing and replacing the video card, so he paid for that out of pocket as well and will be buying from somewhere else next time.

David085

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
Hell I won't buy a brand computer I prefer to build my own except for Apple computers because I like Apple Products.

pukingpixels

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012
Sweden
If I'm going to buy a PC then I'll build it myself. I wouldn't trust ibuypower, alienware, dell, hp, asus or whatever.

I'll rather do the research of components myself and build the entire thing by myself.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
Would you buy a computer from iBuypower?

to be frank unless you have physical handicaps like bad eyes or bad hands anyone that can run software can build a computer. go to a site like anandtech and read and ask pc builders. here is a link to some pc's I built on anandtech, 3 different builds in a smallish case.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2268192

these are all good parts and for the most part the will smoke most macs.I do not build hackintosh builds myself.

you can build cheaper then these or spend more money.

some people want really pretty cases. (ie costly) ,

but for 1300 you can have a very powerful piece of gear in under a few hours time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.