Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
when you're quoted in a post that has multiple posts and you're not the first member quoted. Anyone else notice this or know if its a known problem?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Why would you want to be notified every time you're quoted. I'd get a hundred emails all day just for the quotes.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
Why would you want to be notified every time you're quoted. I'd get a hundred emails all day just for the quotes.

Cause I missed a few and didn't answer someone's question. I don't get any emails. I just see the notification icon on the computer.

Last edited:

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
when you're quoted in a post that has multiple posts and you're not the first member quoted. Anyone else notice this or know if its a known problem?

Can you give me an example?

arn

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
I noticed the same before. It's quite annoying within threads that move along quickly so I have theoretically to go back and read every post made to eventually continue a discussion.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Cause I missed a few and didn't answer someone's question. I don't get any emails. I just see the notification icon on the computer. Something you don't see on the mobile site for some reason. They should fix that too. Another reason I don't like the mobile site.

Strange, I'd bet it is shown on 'my' mobile site. PMs, friend requests and quote notifications were all included within that number at the top.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
Strange, I'd bet it is shown on 'my' mobile site. PMs, friend requests and quote notifications were all included within that number at the top.

Yup, you're right. Its right there. How did I ever miss that?

<walks away, feel stupid>

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
I have an example from today. This post has multiple quotes in it and I didn't receive a notification, nor does it show up in Quote Notifications under User CP.

I haven't received a notification for a quote in said post as well. Would be awesome if this could be fixed.

btw. I'm quite sure Kissaragi (first quote) got notified.

Last edited:

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I have noticed this as well. I've missed a bunch of posts that quoted me this way. I thought it might be due to the new mark as read changes conflicting with auto merge, but am not sure this is the case.

B

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
Normal quote notifications are delayed. These multiple quote ones, never come at all.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Normal quote notifications are delayed. These multiple quote ones, never come at all.

When I'm the first quote within a multiquote, I receive a notification - when I'm not, I don't. That's how it has been since I'm a member / can remember ~ one year.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
When I'm the first quote within a multiquote, I receive a notification - when I'm not, I don't. That's how it has been since I'm a member / can remember ~ one year.

There's more: I believe that if you are the first quote and there are say, four more in the post, you will get FIVE notifications. It seems this site wants to send five different notifications but they wind up going to the same person.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
There's more: I believe that if you are the first quote and there are say, four more in the post, you will get FIVE notifications. It seems this site wants to send five different notifications but they wind up going to the same person.

What a nice coincidence: at first, I thought I experienced it differently, but this post of yours containing two quotes, the first one being mine, gave me two notifications indeed.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none

Yes, I can confirm that I have seen this too.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
That's weird timing. ;)

You set me up!

And here, they did it again! Now, is there actually some way to fix this?? I wouldn't mind too much if people just keep on quoting me first, but I do feel pity for those underachievers...they miss out a lot of good stuff most probably!

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
You set me up!

And here, they did it again! Now, is there actually some way to fix this?? I wouldn't mind too much if people just keep on quoting me first, but I do feel pity for those underachievers...they miss out a lot of good stuff most probably!

I wish I was that clever.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011

I notice this all the time as well. Would be nice if MR can get to the bottom of it sooner than later. Thanks :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.