Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Howdee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2013
Florida
Is it possible to control a Sony TV, which is not a so called "smart TV" with the iPad along with Apple TV somehow?

Trying to figure out a way to do such a thing, but not sure how. I was thinking maybe perhaps I could mirror whatever was going on on my iPad via the Apple TV onto the TV itself? If that makes sense?

Or maybe there's something else that can be done?

Thanks in advance, much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

JGRE

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Dutch Mountains
to control a Sony TV, which is not a so called "smart TV" with the iPad along with Apple TV somehow?

Trying to figure out a way to do such a thing, but not sure how. I was thinking maybe perhaps I could mirror whatever was going on on my iPad via the Apple TV onto the TV itself? If that makes sense?

The point is not perse whether it is a "smart-TV", what it needs to have is a WiFi connection to your router. Any app (on your iPhone/iPad) will communicate with the TV via WiFi (via your router).

Pyromonkey83

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
to control a Sony TV, which is not a so called "smart TV" with the iPad along with Apple TV somehow?

Okay I'm slightly confused overall with what you are saying. Are you wanting to actually control the Sony TV or are you trying to control the Apple TV? Or are you trying to control neither a mirror your iPad screen onto the Apple TV?

If you are trying to control the Sony TV itself, you can do this with addons that turn your iPhone into a universal remote control. an example can be found here: http://store.apple.com/us/product/H4865VC/A/unityremote-by-gear4

If you want to control the Apple TV from your iDevices you can do so by downloading the Remote app on the App Store. You can find that here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/remote/id284417350?mt=8

if you want to mirror your Apple TV with your iPad's screen (make whatever you are doing on your iPad also show up on your screen), you do not need any apps. This functionality is build into iOS and is called AirPlay Mirroring. You can learn how to do this here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5209?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Keep in mind for all of these that your iPad/iPhone and the Apple TV must both be on the same wireless network. Another option is that you can have the Apple TV physically plugged in (hardwire connection) and your iPhone on wifi, but either way both must be on the same network.

Hope this answers your question.

Howdee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2013
Florida
Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.
Essentially, we'd like something to be able to control the channels with via the iPad as well as be able to surf on the TV via the iPas as well.

But our TV does not have any of the necessary inputs for a WiFi connection.
http://store.sony.com/p/KDL-40XBR2/en/p/KDL40XBR2#specifications

Unless from my understanding I would simply hook up the cable box to the Gear4 device and take it from there?

Thanks for your help.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
To control the wifi-less TV, you need infrared signals such as those shot out of classic remotes. There is add-on equipment for iDevices to provide that capability.

However, keep in mind that iDevices are often mobile devices . People tend to want to take their iDevice with them when they leave the house. You posted the warning word of "We" in your last post. I read that to mean that more than one person lives at your house. Are you going to leave that iDevice behind when you leave so that the other person(s) in "We" are going to be able to control the TV with the "good remote"? If not, you probably should be thinking about a good learning remote such as those from Universal Remote Control or similar. I have their MX-850 learning remote and I think it is excellent for the "one remote to rule them all" purpose. If you really want a touch screen remote control, those are available too (but I know many home theater people who prefer physical buttons they can feel in the dark rather than leaning on a flat screen remote).

A dedicated remote makes sense to leave behind in "We" households... much more so than leaving an iDevice behind for the rest of the "We". Then, consider making your iDevice capable of being an additional remote if you really want that benefit. By not getting the rest of "We" dependent on your iDevice, you won't get the grumbles/gripes when you take the "good remote" out of the house.

I know there's the whole "cool" concept underpinning using an iDevice as a remote control but it really becomes an issue unless the person doing it is single, living alone. Remotes also tend to get sat on, dropped on the floor, etc- none of which tends to yield a positive outcome when it's an iDevice.

Lastly, some set-top boxes have an app companion for controlling them. For example, DirecTV whole home DVR has an app that replicates the remote functionality for controlling the DirecTV Genie box. It works over wifi so you wouldn't need the infrared add-on device. See if your set-top box (cable? Satt? etc) has such functionality and that might be another way to go.

Last edited:

Howdee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2013
Florida
In this case, we'd like to leave the device with the TV at all times. The only thing that travels is the iPad.

So what would be a highly recommended or well liked iDevice to hook up to the TV?

We'd like to be able to surf on the TV via this device as well.
evice?

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I have been interested about this little thing for a while but I've never had a reason to get one.

Griffin Beacon.

It's a universal centrally placed IR remote that is controlled by any iOS or Android device.

No idea if it works as advertised though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.