Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dreamerdonkey

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 4, 2012
Bangladesh
Recently I am thinking about to get an android device. But right now I am into some kind of dilemma. Because some of my friend suggest me to get the Nexus and some of them disagree and tell me to go for Kindle fire. So help me out guys. By the way I have a very little knowledge about android devices. :confused:

Last edited:

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
my vote goes to the nexus. It's a more "organic" android experience VS the kindle fire. And I don't think there is anything the fire does that the nexus can't do. I've had mine since august and It's taught me the ins and outs of Android pretty well. My girl has a fire and I am not a big fan of it.

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
Recently I am thinking about to get an android device. But right now I am into some kind of dilemma. Because some of my friend suggest me to get the Nexus and some of my disagree and tell me to go for Kindle fire. So help me out guys. By the way I have a very little knowledge about android devices. :confused:

Kindle Fire is not a true Android device. It is a forked version of Android.

If you are an Amazon Prime member, the KF has some def advantages. If you aren't I woulf go with the Nexus. Personally, I am not a fan of the Kindle Fires. I prefer Google, since there a ton of developers working on the code to produce some fantastic ROMs.

Internaut

macrumors 65816
Kindle Fire HD advantages: Slightly nicer (to my eyes) screen, HDMI output, far nicer built in speakers.

Nexus advantages: Better performance overall, far more open, far easier access to far more apps, proper Android, Google Play store.

Since I have a smart TV with nice, built in goodies like Netflix, the Fire HD's advantages are moot to me so I would go for the Nexus (which I already own, in the original 16GB incarnation, BTW).

If going for the Nexus, unless you intend to use it exclusively in the home, I'd regard not going for the HSPA+ model as a false economy (though I note the HSPA+ model is about as rare as rocking horse ---- at the moment).

Lindsford

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
Nexus, Unless you want your device to primarily be for consuming Amazon's content and not much else

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Nexus all the way. You can install Amazon apps and access their content on the Nexus just as you can on the Fire anyway. Except it's also a full Android tablet with the proper Android Play Store and better specs. Plus it'll get all the Android updates from Google.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Another vote for Nexus, its the vanilla version of Android. Not the one Amazon has modified. The last time I read the google marketplace (or whatever its called now a days) is not available and difficult to side load apps.

TheMTtakeover

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2011
Recently I am thinking about to get an android device. But right now I am into some kind of dilemma. Because some of my friend suggest me to get the Nexus and some of them disagree and tell me to go for Kindle fire. So help me out guys. By the way I have a very little knowledge about android devices. :confused:

I went with the Nexus 7 but I wish I would have went with the fire HD.

bearboy

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2010
Chi-town
Kindle Fire is not a true Android device. It is a forked version of Android.

If you are an Amazon Prime member, the KF has some def advantages. If you aren't I woulf go with the Nexus. Personally, I am not a fan of the Kindle Fires. I prefer Google, since there a ton of developers working on the code to produce some fantastic ROMs.

Exactly, the Kindle HD is pretty heavily skinned. I've had a Nexus 7 (32gb) for about 3 months and it's a great device for the money. Pure Android, plus it will be one of the first devices to be updated when they're released from Google since it's a Nexus device.

TheMTtakeover

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2011
Why?

I think the screen maybe better but things does the Fire have which the Nexus doesn't?

Definitely a better screen on the Fire
Micro HDMI out
Better speakers
Better integrated into the Amazon Ecosystem and I am an Amazon whore.

Don't get me wrong though I'm not unhappy with my Nexus 7. Its a very capable device just that the Fire would have been a better choice for me.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
It seems to me that the Fire has better hardware, but the Nexus has better software.

...can't you just flash the Fire up to Jelly Bean and potentially get the best of both worlds?

No the bootloader is very locked down on the 2nd generation kindle fires. There is pretty much no development for it.

dreamerdonkey

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 4, 2012
Bangladesh
It seems to me that the Fire has better hardware, but the Nexus has better software.

...can't you just flash the Fire up to Jelly Bean and potentially get the best of both worlds?

I can't do that mate. Because if I had that kind of knowledge over tablet, I will create a tablet for me rather put this kind of topic in the forum. By the way, thank you for help.

dreamerdonkey

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 4, 2012
Bangladesh
Thank you to all for your help and support. As I can see too many nexus fan are overwhelmed the kindle fire. And I think I should join the winning party. :D

macrominnie

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2010
Nexus, unless the better Kindle screen is the main factor.

Even so, I expect a Google-Motorola Nexus in 2013 with screen and performance features that will make many want to trade up. The product cycle is pretty fast for tablets right now.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Thank you to all for your help and support. As I can see too many nexus fan are overwhelmed the kindle fire. And I think I should join the winning party. :D

Without knowing what you'll use either for, I own both but cannot outright recommend one over the other.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
I have both the 1st and 2nd gen Fire (non HD). They're great devices and feel very solid, but their app store offerings leave a lot to be desired. It's gotten better but still needs a lot of work. They have great specs and should run a lot faster than they do, but amazons skin is really bloated and there's a good amount of stuttering although not severe. That seems to have been fixed on the HD models but web browsing is still slow across all models. Silk needs a lot of work. The 1st gen fire can be rooted and flashed to 4.2.1 but as far as I know, the 2nd gen can't because of the locked boot loader. The Fire runs MUCH faster on stock Jelly Bean. If I were in you're shoes, I'd get a Nexus unless you're heavily invested into Amazons ecosystem. Better specs, and runs stock android. You're also set to get future versions of Android.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.