Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
okay, every single film i'v played on my laptop, has played fine.

but nearly all BBC documentaries (Human Planet, Life, Wonders of the universe) are playing back choppy, including the sound.
everything displays fine but the actual playback is as if its playing slower than 1x speed - not by a lot, but enough to be unwatchable.

these blu rays played perfectly fine on my ps3..

what gives? anyone else have this experience?

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012

but nearly all BBC documentaries (Human Planet, Life, Wonders of the universe) are playing back choppy, including the sound.
everything displays fine but the actual playback is as if its playing slower than 1x speed - not by a lot, but enough to be unwatchable.

Sounds like a frame rate problem, just off the top of my head. If you have mediainfo or media inspector, take a look at what it says about your video frame rate.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
which app is easier to check with as i have neither?
They're equal. I would go with whatever is cheaper or even better...free. It's a nice tool to have in your "toolbox" for when you need to check things. So it's good to get one regardless.

Additional thought: Do you have VLC media player? You can pull up some info from that if you have it. Although it is not as comprehensive, it may provide what's needed in this case.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011

Some of the BD-based BBC docus have really high bitrates. Even the ATV3 has problems with video streams (massively) over 20 Mbps - unlike any of the A5+ iDevices, for example. In your case, this may have been the problem.

The only fix for this issue is reencoding at a much lower bitrate (say, around 10-12 Mbps, which still produces great IQ).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.