Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrsGhost

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2013
Leuven, Belgium
I made some tests and this issue will fix itself on Sunday January 6, 2013. It will happen the first few days of January 2014 (until Sunday January 5, 2014) if the bug is not fixed. Most first few days of most years seem to have this bug. The bugs starts on January 1st (based on the From time under Scheduled) and is usually fixed on the first Sunday of the year (except if the first day of the year is a Sunday, then it is fixed on the second Sunday). Years preceding years where the first day is a Sunday are not affected by the bug.

Let's check the next few years, this is the pattern :

2013 : Issue fixed on Sunday Jan 6
2014 : Issue fixed on Sunday Jan 5
2015 : Issue fixed on Sunday Jan 4
2016 : Issue not happening even though first day is a Friday
2017 : Issue fixed on Sunday Jan 8 (Jan 1st is also a Sunday)
2018 : Issue fixed on Sunday Jan 7
2019 : Issue fixed on Sunday Jan 6
2020 : Issue fixed on Sunday Jan 5
2021 : Issue fixed on Sunday Jan 3
2022 : Issue not happening even though first day is a Saturday
2023 : Issue fixed on Sunday Jan 8 (Jan 1st is also a Sunday)
2024 : Issue fixed on Sunday Jan 7
Etc...

The same pattern happens if you go back in time as well.

Note : If DND is scheduled before midnight, then the issue and the fix (see above) are delayed one day since it's based on the From time under Scheduled.

Bazinga! I changed the date to January 8, set the DND to turn off at 1:34am (it was 1:32am when I made that change) and hey presto, it did disable whereas previous attempts at leaving it on January 2 all went wrong. So I guess come morning I'll have to turn it off manually but at least the schedule feature does enable itself without problems, that's a relief. Guess that all those affected will have to wait until next week before the problem goes away. unless Apple decides to send us a special update - fat chance though... Really, you'd expect a ridiculously expensive device like an iPhone (or any iOS device for that matter) not to have bugs like this but more importantly, I am feeling very sorry for all those Apple diehards who are covering their ears and going "lalalala I can't hear you" whenever something made by Apple doesn't "just work." Nice attitude to life, that.

TechieGeek

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
In other news he has to touch phones to share pictures and videos while Apple has adopted a more worldwide method of using the Internet to do so.

I thought Android beam was the ugliest, most useless feature until I tried it. However, it actually works very quickly and very well, much faster than sending a picture or URL over SMS.

Now I've tried iPhone too, but something iPhone still can't do - I can't be looking at a picture in the photo gallery and tap it to share it from there through any app I want. I think iPhone users are limited to Facebook and Twitter and SMS? On Android I can share through any app installed on my phone that can share...SMS, Kik, Facebook Messenger, Facebook, Gmail, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, etc.

Just because you use an iPhone doesn't mean you have to ignore its flaws. iOS still has a long way to come with open sharing. NFC is extremely fast and easy, and if iPhone had it I'm sure you wouldn't be calling it useless when we have the internet to share instead.

MrsGhost

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2013
Leuven, Belgium
I thought Android beam was the ugliest, most useless feature until I tried it. However, it actually works very quickly and very well, much faster than sending a picture or URL over SMS.

Now I've tried iPhone too, but something iPhone still can't do - I can't be looking at a picture in the photo gallery and tap it to share it from there through any app I want. I think iPhone users are limited to Facebook and Twitter and SMS? On Android I can share through any app installed on my phone that can share...SMS, Kik, Facebook Messenger, Facebook, Gmail, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, etc.

Just because you use an iPhone doesn't mean you have to ignore its flaws. iOS still has a long way to come with open sharing. NFC is extremely fast and easy, and if iPhone had it I'm sure you wouldn't be calling it useless when we have the internet to share instead.

True, my previous phone was a Sony (Ericsson) Xperia arc & I loved the way sharing is dealt with in Android: I used twicca in addition to Twitter for Android and if I wanted to share a photo I could choose which Twitter client to use straight from the photo gallery itself.

We can only hope that iOS will mature a bit more in the (near) future. It's not a bad OS but it's not perfect either, and well, the same goes for Android: they're both excellent but improvements will always be necessary one way or another. That's the beauty of technology and software I guess: there IS no ultimate solution, so it's down to personal opinion and choice.

Don Kosak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Hilo, Hawaii
Do Not Disturb worked fine for me today.

It's probably a bug that needs a particular set of conditions to set it off.

I really depend on it, as the 5-6 hour time difference means if I don't set "do not disturb", I get calls from folks on the East Coast at 3am my time...

(I live in Hawaii for what it's worth. iPhone with iOS version 6.0.1.)

Boy, people love bashing Apple these days...

Last edited:

Berti10

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2012
In The Morning I switched it off but now it won't turn on automaticly. It's set to switch on at 1:30 am and Off at 6 am. So here in Germany it's January 2nd and 3am and nothing happened

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
You do realize that local alarms still go off even when DND is on. So, what's the big issue?

The big issue is that it's something Apple that isn't working 100% perfect and thus the blogs can get big page hits out of hyping it as a universal design error and fatal flaw

----------

Most other devices, not just phones have software that DO work, without bugs - especially for fundamental functions like turning alarms off and on.

You're so brilliant that I'm certain you know that DND doesn't do jack to alarms. They go off no matter whether DND is on or off.

DND is about calls, facetime and texts. Doesn't stop you from getting them just from hearing any sounds or having the screen light up if the device is locked.

But you knew that. Just like you know exactly what the problem is and how to fix it.

----------

Do Not Disturb worked fine for me today.

Me too. Just like every Daylight Savings Time I have no issues. Haven't in 4 iPhones and now 3 iPads. All of which I kept up to date with the latest software installed no more than a month after the release.

Which tells me that this isn't just about iOS or everyone would be having issues.

DB2k

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2007
weird. mine was fine yesterday, and then overnight into today it went on as per the schedule, and wouldn't shut off automatically. every time i turn DND on the moon reappears. iPhone5/latest OS.

rebooted phone with DND off. turned DND back on after reboot and the schedule is active, and its still got the mooon

hmm. annoying

NedBookPro

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2011
You're so brilliant that I'm certain you know that DND doesn't do jack to alarms. They go off no matter whether DND is on or off.

DND is about calls, facetime and texts. Doesn't stop you from getting them just from hearing any sounds or having the screen light up if the device is locked.

But you knew that. Just like you know exactly what the problem is and how to fix it.

The fact that it didn't turn off at the time is was meant to, basically means it's a "time event", much the same as when people were having problems with alarms in iOS. Something is meant to happen at a certain time. In this case, turn DND off. Understand? This is a simple notion, and should be basic for any programmer. That's what I was referring to. I never said it affected alarms.

And yes, if I had access to iOS source code, I probably would be able to fix it. And while I was at it, I'd fix stupid things like the swoosh sound before SMTP negotiation in mail as well. But I guess you also think that's normal behaviour for a mail client.

-------------------------------------------------------
You can't talk sense to a fan-boy

adamget

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2006
North England
No problem here

Why all the hysteria? Works fine here, and if it hadn't a simple manual intervention will fix it. Hardly a show-stopper is it.

muon25

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2010
Interestingly, this bug didn't hit me on the 1st, but did hit me today, on both my iPhone 4S and iPad Mini. It also hit my wife today on her iPhone 4.

rudenkobm

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2013
A reply from the stone age.

"we've tried to reach you for the past 24 hours. I was trying to tell you that your son was hit by a drunk driver on new years eve. he passed away 2 minutes ago."

There's always some Muppet who'll come up with an inane example to make their point. Believe it or not, people managed to live their lives quite well before the invention of the mobile phone.

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
Interestingly, this bug didn't hit me on the 1st, but did hit me today, on both my iPhone 4S and iPad Mini. It also hit my wife today on her iPhone 4.

Me too, slightly annoying but at least I know its not just my iphone and ipad..

sitsonthefence

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2012
London, UK
Oddly hit all my devices today, but not yesterday.

But as my devices all have an override for important calls and I've enabled the repeat call within 3mins, nothing urgent / important has been missed.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Mine is set to come out of DND at 5am.

Its 8:54 now, and no sign if DND.

No sign of issue here

7:24AM here this morning. Was supposed to come out of DND at 5am.

DND did not kick off. Just had to disable it manually.

W T F

ssanders79

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2009
Celebration, Fl
1/1 OK - 1/2 Not OK

My iOS devices DND feature was ok on the 1st, but today (1/2) it did not turn off at 6:00AM. Thankfully, this is not a big deal. I will wait to see if it resolves itself overnight.

css1323

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2008
Seriously... Is this all you guys (and girls) have to do? How about you go spend time with your friends and family and stop crying about a silly little problem. If you're not observant enough to notice the moon in the status bar, I'm sure you weren't missing much else on your phone.

Have a good day with your family and try not to ruin it because DND isn't working.

Happy New Year!

What an annoying reply to what is an actual legitimate discussion about a real iOS bug. We've all contributed to Apple's market cap and there's no reason why we can't voice our concerns.

While I agree that I do see some whining, to brush off the bug as something "silly" is silly in itself. This is how developers earn their living, they need to fix and improve upon iOS. I was also a perplexed user when I found the DND feature to be on during the day on Jan. 1st when it should have been functioning at night. Power cycling the phone got the moon to disappear but even today on the 2nd, it's reappeared. Let's hope this gets patched up with an upcoming update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.