Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeafRaiders

macrumors regular
Original poster
I want to make a DVD to play my holiday photos as a Slideshow for my family home DVD player. Firstly I am a PC to a Mac 1st time.

I used to use Memories on TV on a PC. I am interesting in learning the mac apps. I want to use randomise transitions which iPhoto provides, but not pan or zoom on any photos which imovie does provide. I've tried doing it for 4 hours today it doesn't seem to work I did export the slideshow movie from iPhotos then imported into iMovie it made the pics all pixels on my iMac which is horrible look. I tried the help file none of them seem to do the way i want it.

Things I require
  • Own music
  • Random transitions
  • not pixels pictures
  • Start Title
  • DVD Menu

Oh and don't want to splash the cash!

MDJCM

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2009
UK, South
You want to put photos onto a DVD?

DVD has a maximum resolution that will look rough on HDTVs and iMacs etc

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
Just use iMovie. Drag photos into a Project, choose your Transitions, put a Title at the beginning, add music, Export to Quicktime. If you don't have iDVD on your Mac, then use Burn to make the dvd. Just make sure you make a Video DVD.
http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/Pages/English/home.html

However, as MDJCM says, dvd resolution is poor, only 720x576 or 720x480, so your phots aren't going to look that great on a TV. Having said that, having done this a few times, they won't look too bad.

MDJCM

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2009
UK, South
Yeah, a lot of TVs nowadays will play photos from a USB stick or you can get a HDMI lead for your tablet or phone.

But basically, the reason you are finding it difficult to do these discs is because people are moving away from doing photo DVDs and just looking at photos directly instead of an orchestrated slideshow.

DeafRaiders

macrumors regular
Original poster
Yeah, a lot of TVs nowadays will play photos from a USB stick or you can get a HDMI lead for your tablet or phone.

But basically, the reason you are finding it difficult to do these discs is because people are moving away from doing photo DVDs and just looking at photos directly instead of an orchestrated slideshow.

Maybe in Apple terms but DVD photos are very much around in general.

MDJCM

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2009
UK, South
Yeah but think of the tragic reality that every person who receives one of those DVDs goes home to a ~40" HDTV, but they are too backwards to consider a way to view media in High Definition.

So yeah, not a problem for the photographer to fix, but its part of a much bigger problem. Big TVs getting sold to people who don't yet know how to use them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.