Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheGreenBastard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2012
Halifax
Hey guys

Just want to give everyone a heads up not to buy any Lenovo products. (no, not because I had problems with them)

After reading on their community forums, I see that their support, products, and everything about the company is utter *********.

I don't feel much like writing everything about my issues with them as I hate writing in the iPad, so just watch this video and you'll find out what my problems are with them.

Peace, love, and hair grease. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Crikey

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2004
Spencer's Butte, Oregon
love Lenovo ThinkPads

Interesting. I have been buying Lenovo ThinkPad laptops for my department at work for years. I can't tell you I've had good dealings with their support, because I've never had to deal with their support at all. I've never had a ThinkPad fail.

For myself, I buy :apple:. For work, the ThinkPads are the best Windows laptops I've seen. If I had to carry a Windows laptop, it would probably be a ThinkPad T430.

Angelo95210

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2009
Paris, France
I love Lenovo laptops. They are my favorites when it's about PC laptops. Well built and their support is OK. I already had a motherboard replaced and I was very happy with the service they delivered. So maybe you had a bad number, it happens.

Weerez935

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2012
Think pads get better support because its the business support. Same with dell latitudes vs inspirons. Even the sales reps told me to stay away from the consumer models.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
I used ThinkPads for many years and never had a problem. All were company issued so never had to call support. Online support for drivers and firmware updates has been good.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
The company I'm working for moved three years ago globally from Dell to Lenovo with good success ... We didn't looked back ... Quite solid hardware with business support in backend.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I see a shaky camera and a dude bitching that the laptop doesn't turn on. I don't know how to explain this any better than this: Dude got a lemon. Return it and move on.

Paulywauly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2009
Durham, UK
I think the same can be said for most consumer model laptops by the big OEMs, they are generally nowhere near the quality of business class products.

The consumer models I've had to deal with from Toshiba, Sony and Samsung have always been a bag of hurt. Their support is also really poor & Samsung in particular are really bad for that. Missing tickets, no call backs etc. If I don't want to wait weeks for a repair/replacement I need to bug a friend who happens to be their lead complaints exec in the uk (who usually gets her work directly from their uk MD!)

I do IT support for a large organisation which luckily started replacing all this crap with Lenovo across the board about 6 months ago. The Thinkpads are built like tanks & their support has been great so far, if I ever bought a non-Apple laptop at home it would probobly be a ThinkPad.

makaveli559m

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2012
Hey guys

Just want to give everyone a heads up not to buy any Lenovo products. (no, not because I had problems with them)

After reading on their community forums, I see that their support, products, and everything about the company is utter *********.

I don't feel much like writing everything about my issues with them as I hate writing in the iPad, so just watch this video and you'll find out what my problems are with them.

YouTube: video

Peace, love, and hair grease. :rolleyes:

I like Lenovo for there Thinkpads, there flagship machine isnt an IdeaPad lol its a Thinkpad, why did you go for the IdeaPad? Thinkpads are known to last longer and work better than the consumer line like the IdeaPad.

gabicava83

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2010
Same here.

No issue with Lenovo's, specially the thinkpads.

This guy reminds me of someone at work. He got an HP laptop, DOA unfortunately, now apparently all HP stuff are crap.

:)

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009

No, because one other random internet user had problems with them.

So what?

It's like me buying an iPhone that fails then telling people they shouldn't ever buy iPhones just because mine had problems.

Manufacturing faults happen with all products from all companies, the important thing is how often they happen and how well the company's customer service deals with it. In the case of Lenovo, it happens rarely and the customer service is good, so there's no reason not to buy their products if you want a solid PC.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
What people don't realize, is if you buy the consumer models of laptops (HP Pavillion, Lenovo IdeaPad, Dell Inspiron), they have to compete on price because Jane Doe doesn't understand why this HP POS is half the cost of the Lenovo ThinkPad. So then Lenovo has to come out with their IdeaPad to compete with the Inspirons and the Pavillons of the world. Guess how they hit those price points: Cheap hardware and poor support.

When people complain to me about the cost of a Mac, I point them to other business class machines (i.e. those with good support and not the cheapest of cheap components) and guess what? The cost isn't really that much different (okay maybe the rMBP's are still higher but that's a discussion for another day).

If you want to categorize a company as crap because your cheap CONSUMER grade laptop POS died, then you really have no idea. Frankly, Lenovo ThinkPads are the only PC laptop I would buy. I had one at work for 4 years and due to component supply shortages I was given an HP Elitebook when it was time to upgrade and it isn't nearly as good as my ThinkPad (not terrible, but not nearly as good). That thing was a Tank and could take my abuse with no issue.

Edit: I'm not taking buying advice from someone who has only been registered at these forums for a little over a month!

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
I've also had excellent experiences with Lenovo ThinkPads. Only Windows laptop I will recommend. We use them exclusively at work. Anytime we've had issues, their support hasn't failed us. Quick and friendly service.

Oh and their service department is located in Atlanta and not India since they share it with IBM. At least for the ThinkPad line.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
We had Lenovo reps come in for a trade show at our company a few years back. They had their own viral videos that shed a lot more light on the kind of company Lenovo is than that swearing dude in the OP video.

First they dropped a laptop from the third floor of a parking structure. The walked up to it and it was still working. Then they put a laptop on the lap of a crash test dummy and ran the dummy into a wall at 35 mph. The bezel flew off the laptop but when they zoomed in on the laptop it was still working.

If I had to use a Windows laptop, it would be a Lenovo. Not Dell, Acer, Asus or HP. Lenovo makes quality gear. OTOH, I doubt Lenovo support would be near as good as the best in the industry: Apple. This is the reason that despite the fact I like Lenovo products, I exclusively use Apple gear for home use.

TheGreenBastard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2012
Halifax
I see a shaky camera and a dude bitching that the laptop doesn't turn on. I don't know how to explain this any better than this: Dude got a lemon. Return it and move on.

That shaky camera is the all-mighty iPhone, and that dude bitching is The Green Bastard. Watch out who and what you're talking about bud.

;)

----------

No, because one other random internet user had problems with them.

So what?

It's like me buying an iPhone that fails then telling people they shouldn't ever buy iPhones just because mine had problems.

Manufacturing faults happen with all products from all companies, the important thing is how often they happen and how well the company's customer service deals with it. In the case of Lenovo, it happens rarely and the customer service is good, so there's no reason not to buy their products if you want a solid PC.

It's not that at all. EVERYONE on their support forums say that they're ****, and I'm just letting everyone know before they buy a ****** laptop.

Sure, their business tier laptops are going to be better than the consumer model, but I mean come on, this thing doa is ridiculous. Also, Lenovo may or may not replace my computer. True story.

Edit: also wondering why "bitch" isn't censored but "s h i t" is.

VoR

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2008
UK
I used to swear by thinkpads - The design, build quality, trackpoint, etc - but, they've recently switched keyboard styles... Their old keyboards were the best laptop keyboards I've ever used by far, I won't be rushing back.

If I had to use a Windows laptop, it would be a Lenovo. Not Dell, Acer, Asus or HP. Lenovo makes quality gear. OTOH, I doubt Lenovo support would be near as good as the best in the industry: Apple. This is the reason that despite the fact I like Lenovo products, I exclusively use Apple gear for home use.

I don't think Apple's support is any better or worse than all the major manufacturers, but it is more inconvenient.
If I buy a product that breaks, I expect it to be replaced quickly. Apple's preference about bringing devices into a store, only to then be sent off isn't ideal.
Last support call I had at home was for a 24" Dell Screen I bought off ebay. The power button became a little sticky - after 10mins on the phone, the next day a man showed up with a brand new screen, waited around till I unpacked and tried it and took the old one away. This is exactly the sort of service I expect from any company (and usually what I receive), there's little to improve on.

mrbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2004
Springfield, Missouri
That shaky camera is the all-mighty iPhone, and that dude bitching is The Green Bastard. Watch out who and what you're talking about bud.

So? thejademonkey is still exactly right.

It's not that at all. EVERYONE on their support forums say that they're ****, and I'm just letting everyone know before they buy a ****** laptop.

I'm sure everybody thinks their laptops are feces. :rolleyes:

TheGreenBastard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2012
Halifax
Update: after fighting on the phone for an hour they finally said they would give me a full refund. (they weren't going to replace it before for some reason.)

So all is well and I'll never touch another one of their "super duper gaming laptops."

gabicava83

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2010
Update: after fighting on the phone for an hour they finally said they would give me a full refund. (they weren't going to replace it before for some reason.)

So all is well and I'll never touch another one of their "super duper gaming laptops."

As people have stated, from a bad experience, don't write them off.

It's like going on a bad date, it doesn't mean all women are bad. (however, all marriages end up in tears sooner or later :p)

I hope you aren't going to go for an Acer next.

Good luck in your new find,

G.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009

Hold on a minute, I thought you weren't saying this from a personal experience? Liar! :eek:

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
thing i see here:

ThinkPad = Designed from the IBM days and not really touched that much and stick to those lines and are very good.

IdeaPad etc. = Designed by Lenovo (chinese company) and to the quality of every other cheaply made laptop i.e. rubbish.

I have a HP Elitebook at work and going from a ThinkPad it's frustratingly rubbish.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011

That's because the 10 million others that have no problems don't go on the support forums.

----------

It's like going on a bad date, it doesn't mean all women are bad. (however, all marriages end up in tears sooner or later :p)

All women are evil. But I love them anyway. :D

jvette

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2007
Could be if you would learn to talk without using the F word you may get somewhere. I gave up on your childish video after about the 5th F Bomb. With that said, there are many brands of laptops and if this is brand new just return it and get something else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.