Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

magichoops7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
Has anyone noticed the iPhone 5 over heating a little more than previous versions? I don't have a case on mine yet and it's bacially fully charged.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Several threads about this already. Also, "over-heating" is a misnomer unless it's causing damage or you're receiving an error message.

It may run warmer than expected or compared to what you're used to, but that in and of itself, is NOT over-heating.

bluer101

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
Mine is always cool to the touch. The only time it gets a little warm is after its been charging for a few.

My iPhone 4 would always start to get hot after extended use.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
overheating != warm

Overheating would mean the device shuts off and tells you that it is too hot to operate.

My iPhone 4S got quite warm at times, about the same as iPad 3. The 5 feels quite a bit cooler under heavy use.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
I just but my factory unlocked iPhone 5 from Apple a couple weeks ago. For the first two weeks, it was a dream! Today, it was weird... the battery seemed to drain way faster than before, and it was always quite warm. I plugged it in before dinner, and I left the house with 45%. Within 2 hours, the battery was dead (i hardly used it), and it felt like my phone was VERY warm, almost hot, to the touch... Will recharge it fully, and if still problematic, will restore - then off to AAPL store.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Sometimes a poor cell signal will do this (cell tower work).

See what happens tomorrow and if it continues, then restore it.

I *think* you might be correct about this. I'm currently in San Juan, Puerto Rico, which is an LTE city. However, sometimes it has been LTE... Sometimes 4G... Sometimes no service... but the weird part is that it HAS been doing that for the past three days with no extreme heat. The heat started yesterday. In any case, I already restored the phone back to factory settings. It's now re-syncing everything. When I turn Airplane mode OFF (cell signals on), it starts to heat up again very quickly. In any case, I'll just keep it in airplane mode, let all of my apps sync, and then I'll be back in the actual states in a few hours. Hopefully it was just an odd signal, as you suggest, and things are normal. Otherwise, bleh - I don't feel like going through the circle of taking it to an Apple Store, having a Genius suggest I restore, not being able to replicate the hot phone in the store, eventually getting a new phone, etc etc etc...

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I just but my factory unlocked iPhone 5 from Apple a couple weeks ago. For the first two weeks, it was a dream! Today, it was weird... the battery seemed to drain way faster than before, and it was always quite warm. I plugged it in before dinner, and I left the house with 45%. Within 2 hours, the battery was dead (i hardly used it), and it felt like my phone was VERY warm, almost hot, to the touch... Will recharge it fully, and if still problematic, will restore - then off to AAPL store.

The first thing you should do in this situation is turn off your phone and turn in back on to terminate any process that's consuming your phone's CPU and thus battery life.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Well, this is obnoxious. As I mentioned, I was in Puerto Rico this morning. I flew to Newark, and I had my phone plugged into my computer during the flight. When I landed about 30 minutes ago, it was at 100% battery. It's now at 75% battery, and it's quite warm. Yes... I've restarted it. Yes... I've done a fresh restore. Sigh... I have a genius bar appointment today at 5PM. Let's see how it goes.

FixBrokeni

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2012
Well, this is obnoxious. As I mentioned, I was in Puerto Rico this morning. I flew to Newark, and I had my phone plugged into my computer during the flight. When I landed about 30 minutes ago, it was at 100% battery. It's now at 75% battery, and it's quite warm. Yes... I've restarted it. Yes... I've done a fresh restore. Sigh... I have a genius bar appointment today at 5PM. Let's see how it goes.

When you have poor service, in rural areas or during flight it is best to conserve battery life through Airplane Mode. When your iPhone is constantly searching for cell service, it can severely drain your battery life.

Do keep us posted on what the Genius reports. I expect they'll give you a new iPhone and you'll be on your way. This could also be related to the latest firmware, which has some reports of draining the battery. It could even be a faulty battery!

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Hey guys,

I thought i'd report back.

The good news is that I have a brand new iPhone 5... I finished restoring it from a backup, and it no longer feels like it is going to set on fire. Hopefully the trend continues.

In any case, I brought in my phone to the genius on airplane mode. I showed him that in airplane mode, the device was just fine... cool to the touch, battery wasn't draining, etc. Then I turned off airplane mode. It started to heat up immediately, and battery was draining at over one percent per minute. He seemed pretty surprised and shocked. He asked if he could restore the phone to factory settings. I told him I had already done so, but he insisted. So he restored it to factory settings, and without doing anything, it still got REALLY hot and dropped battery at the same rate. He wrote up a big report to send to HQ, and he got me a new phone.

So that's pretty much it. I'm really not sure if I had a lemon of a device or if there was some bug triggered by something I did in there. In any case, that's the story!

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Hey guys,

The good news is that I have a brand new iPhone 5... I finished restoring it from a backup, and it no longer feels like it is going to set on fire. Hopefully the trend continues.

In any case, I brought in my phone to the genius on airplane mode. I showed him that in airplane mode, the device was just fine... cool to the touch, battery wasn't draining, etc. Then I turned off airplane mode. It started to heat up immediately, and battery was draining at over one percent per minute. He seemed pretty surprised and shocked. He asked if he could restore the phone to factory settings. I told him I had already done so, but he insisted. So he restored it to factory settings, and without doing anything, it still got REALLY hot and dropped battery at the same rate. He wrote up a big report to send to HQ, and he got me a new phone.

So that's pretty much it. I'm really not sure if I had a lemon of a device or if there was some bug triggered by something I did in there. In any case, that's the story!

Thanks for reporting back and making the forums a better place!

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Hey guys,

Really happy for you dude! That's awesome to hear. Yeah, I'd have to say even while playing games plugged in my iPhone 5 is cool to the touch. Glad you got a level headed Apple Genius and got a new phone. Very cool. Thanks for reporting back too.

pat park

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2011
California
good to hear you got this resolved. Sometimes weird things happen to these phones and they need to be replaced. Sounds like you went thru all the right steps beforehand (restore as new, etc etc).

Thanks for reporting back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.