Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akatsuki

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2010
How about 802.11ac.
A unified power saving mode switch.
Icons that are updateable (Win 7/8 interface is really nice and definitely leaves the Palm metaphor behind.)

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
Its that sort of thinking that meant after almost five years of iPhone ownership I just bought a Galaxy S3 to replace my iPhone 4. When the iPhone 3G arrived it was so far ahead of other offerings it was an instant buy. The premium cost was worth it to me. I skipped the 3GS. The 4S and 5 just didn't offer enough improvement and finally I got fed up waiting for Apple to meet my needs. :(

Well, there are some of us who think that the S3 is obnoxiously big

TXCherokee

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2012
Here's what I want to see in iOS 7...

1. Weather on the lock screen (at the very least)
2. Camera app also snaps QR codes
3. Vehicle mode - no texting if device is moving > 5 mph
4. Better POI on Maps
5. Siri SDK
6. Siri Translation (translates from English to French, for example)
7. NFC
8. Apple TV SDK
9. PowerNap
10. Split screen mode on iPad (use two apps at same time)
11. Real multi-tasking (per app basis, use Settings to activate)
12. LinkedIn Integration (especially with Contacts)
13. iCloud Printing - accesses printer drivers in iCloud to print on any printer on the network
14. Combine Newsstand and iBooks (Books, Magazines, Newspapers, PDFs)
15. Bike paths on Maps or Better Routing App integration
16. iPad style clocks on iPhone

I'd love to see NFC. I never thought it would be useful, but then I went on a pub crawl in a costume over the holidays and did a few fun runs. Not having to have some cash and a credit card while having no pockets would have been handy.

And at least letting Newsstand be put into a folder would be nice.

dainja

macrumors member
May 21, 2009
I liked the new app switcher concept. The idea of swiping to kill things is a good one. I hope more of the OS will take advantage of multitouch soon.

The main upgrade I'd like to see is a functional fingerprint scanner built into the home button. It has been mentioned as a possibility and I can't think of anything better. I would upgrade from my 5 right away for it.

-no need to swipe to unlock: if it recognises your fingerprint, you're in.
-you can setup "guest fingerprints"
-all passwords, credit card info, form info (for web things, apps) are stored in an encrypted keychain and you simply touch the home button to have it automatically typed in the fields

Security would make a huge leap and I would waste significantly less time typing nonsense in

robbyx

Suspended
Oct 18, 2005
Its that sort of thinking that meant after almost five years of iPhone ownership I just bought a Galaxy S3 to replace my iPhone 4. When the iPhone 3G arrived it was so far ahead of other offerings it was an instant buy. The premium cost was worth it to me. I skipped the 3GS. The 4S and 5 just didn't offer enough improvement and finally I got fed up waiting for Apple to meet my needs. :(

What needs? I'm curious. I've played around with an S3 at Best Buy and didn't care for the hardware or UI. The only person I know who has one (switched from iPhone) isn't wild about it and laments not having stuck with his iPhone. I read posts like yours suggesting that the iPhone is somehow falling behind other smartphones but I rarely see anyone cite specifics. So I'm curious? What needs is Apple not meeting? Or are you simply motivated by the need for something new and different (not necessarily better)? The 4s and 5 offered some pretty huge improvements over the 3G. What were you expecting? What does your S3 have that the 5 does not?

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
i bet a few people will. just like they thought the iPhone 5 would be called the iPhone 6 :rolleyes:

I was just going to post that we need a serious discussion about iPhone 5 vs. 6 and I think this one will be called iPhone 7 to match the ios 7.

(NOT!!! I couldn't care less what this is called. Just make it good)

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
There's one in every crowd. ;)

No, there's a least 2.
These are more a personal wish-list, not things many others would want.

Want my camera to be a camera, not a code reader. There are plenty of apps for that. Vehicle mode?!- if it's switchable, then it will have no impact for those that text and drive. If it's not switchable, what the heck, I can't text because someone else is driving?! Etc.:)

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
I want to be able to either have "guest accounts" on my phone, or the ability to password lock folders (so I can put apps in them that I don't want kids, friends, family getting to when they borrow my phone)

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
I want:

Innovation (I say that, but have no idea what I would consider innovation, so it's just a buzz word)

Ive to do something (because conquering half the market in 5 years is pathetic)

And 7 to have more features I want (I don't know what they are, but I want them and don't have them)

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I want:

Innovation (I say that, but have no idea what I would consider innovation, so it's just a buzz word)

Ive to do something (because conquering half the market in 5 years is pathetic)

And 7 to have more features I want (I don't know what they are, but I want them and don't have them)

Hey I want this too. :D

3mstrrktek7

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2013
All of you looking forward to iOS7 ..... Why?

I'm a BIG apple person.
I'm NOT a big iPhone person.

Just got 2 samsung galaxy note 2's ....... it already HAS "iOS7"!!!!!!!!!

How about quit following "the pied piper" and make some rational smart choices instead of panting for the next iPhone that is trying to catch up to the creativity found elsewhere that "used to be apple" and the way they were innovative!

Have a nice day! Oh, that's right, you can't see the weather app and this blog at the same time on your iPhone ........ I can!

Riemann Zeta

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
I think that the one major feature iOS needs is a real unified solution for file system access. The current solution of locking each application down and restricting file IO to a sandboxed fake user folder just doesn't cut it. It is just silly that applications have to duplicate files in order to access them. Why couldn't Apple actually use the UNIX file access model of iOS and have a normal /users/username directory (there is no need to allow 100% root privilege in order to do this).

iansilv

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2007
because the apps aren't made to scale to different resolutions. the same resolution on 4.7" wouldn't be very good, and the technology isnt there to double the resolution.

when someone w/ an iPhone switches to Android this is the process they go thru:

1. the bigger screen is awesome...i cant live without it now. the iPhone feels so tiny and I can't read the screen.

2. time to go get my apps! wait...these apps suck!

3. time to spend 5 hours a day reading websites on how I can modify my Android experience

Lol! Yeah overheard it described that way.

If the aspect ratio was maintained, could the apps just center or stretch until the developers fixed them?

And 1280 by 720 would work for a 4.7" screen...

robbyx

Suspended
Oct 18, 2005
I'm a BIG apple person.
I'm NOT a big iPhone person.

Just got 2 samsung galaxy note 2's ....... it already HAS "iOS7"!!!!!!!!!

How about quit following "the pied piper" and make some rational smart choices instead of panting for the next iPhone that is trying to catch up to the creativity found elsewhere that "used to be apple" and the way they were innovative!

Have a nice day! Oh, that's right, you can't see the weather app and this blog at the same time on your iPhone ........ I can!

Yeah, because it's REALLY important to see the weather and read a blog at the same time. :rolleyes: Every dumb feature does NOT equal "innovation" (a totally meaningless word these days anyway).

robbyx

Suspended
Oct 18, 2005
I think that the one major feature iOS needs is a real unified solution for file system access. The current solution of locking each application down and restricting file IO to a sandboxed fake user folder just doesn't cut it. It is just silly that applications have to duplicate files in order to access them. Why couldn't Apple actually use the UNIX file access model of iOS and have a normal /users/username directory (there is no need to allow 100% root privilege in order to do this).

Couldn't agree more! I can understand the resistance to a true file system, but there has to be a compromise. I'd like to see tags added to both the Mac and iOS at the system level for organizational purposes. This would be especially handy on iOS. Tag documents to organize them in lieu of a proper file system hierarchy and allow all apps to access all supported document types.

I use Good Reader for organizing my PDF library on my iPad, yet if I want to access a PDF from another app, I have to open Good Reader, select the PDF, and then select Open In... to get it into the other app. This is stupid. If an app supports PDFs, it should be able to see all PDFs on my device. Developers should not have to waste time coding a system for organizing documents in every app. System level tags would solve that problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.