Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Over the past several months, we've been following the progress of iPhone5mod, one of several companies that have developed unauthorized versions of Apple's new Lightning connector, allowing them to launch a number of accessories, adapters, and cables for customers frustrated by the slow pace of development on official solutions.

iphone5mod_ex_hybrid_1.jpg
iPhone5mod is now launching an interesting new product today in the form of an ultrathin keyboard/game controller for the iPhone 5. The $49.90 EX Hybrid Game Controller consists of a thin back cover for the iPhone that provides magnetic attachment for a pair of 2-mm thick aluminum plates: one offering a keyboard and a second containing gamepad controls. The plates also include integrated batteries for up to 40 hours of active use, with a separate charging station for the plates included in the package.

iphone5mod_ex_hybrid_2.jpg

Article Link: iPhone5mod Launches Ultrathin Keyboard and Game Controller for iPhone 5

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Cool! This is why the iPhone trumps Google phones. Having one form factor that won't get dumped every 6 months means that companies can create very special accessories and know they have time to market and recoup their investment. 3 years minimum 5, 5s, and then kept at least one year after the next generation is released at a lower price. The benefit for owners is not only do they get a new phone via next generation software updates which are rare on the Google side, they can use accessories like these to customize their hardware.

----------

I prefer the will.i.am one.
I thought that was a camera upgrade.

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2009
The photos are hilarious: 'Charge OK!', 'Vertical OK!', Game Controller OK!'

It's an interesting idea, but it doesn't look to be a very polished product.

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
The extra battery life is more enticing than the keyboard/game controller.
I think the battery life quoted is for powering the (presumably Bluetooth) plates, not for adding supplemental power to the iPhone. In order to power the iPhone, it would need to connect to the Lightning port in some way, which these do not appear to do.

The video doesn't show them actually *using* these things to type or play games. Is this just a proof-of-concept right now?

DOUGHNUT

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2006
I don't know about this. You're holding onto your phone by a magnet. I'm sure it can easily come loose. I don't know know if I'd trust it

hutch34

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2012
Florida
The benefit for owners is not only do they get a new phone via next generation software updates which are rare on the Google side, they can use accessories like these to customize their hardware.

Well the part about Google just isn't true.

Actually, their software upgrades for their Nexus phones are usually better than an iOS updates because they don't drop features for the older model just to differentiate. They're certainly not any less frequent than iOS updates are either.

For example, not including Siri on the iPhone 4 when iOS came out with the update.

I agree on the hardware accessories part though.

odditie

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
This thing looks absolutely horrible.

----------

Actually, their software upgrades for their Nexus phones are usually better than an iOS updates because they don't drop features for the older model just to differentiate. They're certainly not any less frequent than iOS updates are either.

For example, not including Siri on the iPhone 4 when iOS came out with the update.

Right, there is a difference between google's intent with updates and what Samsung, HTC, etc do with them.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007

Google's official data on Android version distribution:

http://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html

Note that over 50% of devices are running Gingerbread, which was released in 2010.

CiWill

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2012
This thing looks absolutely horrible.

Maybe but I doubt most people would be too bothered by that if it was functional. Saying that, I'm still gonna wait for the bladepad. There are no analog sticks to be found in this product and for they type of games I play, I would be better off using the touchscreen

This device is trying to do too much.

How exactly? It's either a game controller or a keyboard. If you don't play games you don't have to carry around the controller and if you're happy with on-screen keyboards you can do without the keyboard attachment. I don't see how you can say it's trying to do too much when it's only offering you 2 additional features...

it doesn't add battery life to your phone, they're talking about the battery life of the accessory itself.

If there was a 2mm thick back cover that slotted into my lightning connector adding 40 hours of battery life that would be quite enticing though. That would arguably do more for portable iOS gaming than a controller

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
The video doesn't show them actually *using* these things to type or play games. Is this just a proof-of-concept right now?

I'm willing to bet that the slight delay would be exchushiating. They look pretty cool (I guess), but a total fail in real world use. The iphone keyboard works very well as is. I can't imagine a scenario where I would feel the need to snap on a physical keyboard rather then just type in landscape on the phone. The game controller might come in handy if the response time was dead on.

hutch34

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2012
Florida
Google's official data on Android version distribution:

http://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html

Note that over 50% of devices are running Gingerbread, which was released in 2010.

Yes, but there is a difference between a Nexus android phone and the other manufacturers android phones. You'll notice I mentioned Nexus specifically.

For example, the Nexus S (which was released in 2010) got the most current 4.2 update and it doesn't cripple any software features for it either.

The Nexus S can do the same things software-wise that a brand-new Nexus 4 can do.

Also, most of those phones that are on 2.1 are there because of manufacturer choice and not because of Google's choice.

Blue Fox

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
I like this. I would only want the controler option though, for when I'm playing old games like Sonic the Hedgehog or something like that.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Is macrumors getting kickbacks from these guys or something? Every time iPhone5mod posts an update, it appears on Macrumors. :rolleyes:

They arent even the only ones doing iPhone 5 products anymore. You can pick them up everywhere. I grabbed a lightning cable from Play.com for £2.99 - works fine and looks identical to the Apple one.

Last edited:

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Yes, but there is a difference between a Nexus android phone and the other manufacturers android phones. You'll notice I mentioned Nexus specifically.

For example, the Nexus S (which was released in 2010) got the most current 4.2 update and it doesn't cripple any software features for it either.

The Nexus S can do the same things software-wise that a brand-new Nexus 4 can do.

Also, most of those phones that are on 2.1 are there because of manufacturer choice and not because of Google's choice.

As a developer, I really couldn't care less who's fault it is, the fact of the matter is, I have to make a choice between supporting the majority of devices meaning I have to resort to API 8 or I can make life easier and only support API ~12. (I can't remember where the exact API version cutoffs are.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.