Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cootersgarage6

Original poster
Nov 6, 2010
So today I have had 5+ problems with itunes 10 today. I am so tired of it.

AND I'm having problems with my mac, and my Ipod!!I am a HUGE apple fan , and couldn't get enough of it, but now it seems to suck, and be going down the toilet.
1.)My Apple TV has trouble connecting to my macbook,
2.)iTunes is giving me a lot of problems,
3.)my mac won't let me rename the house Icon from "apple owner" (the person who had it before me put that. I CAN'T CHAGE IT!,
4.)it keeps telling me my files are duplicates and aren't the original, but that's not true..
5.)and my stepdad's Imac keeps saying "Connection Failed" for no reason, and
6.)I can't set my mac back to restore, like when you first get it, if I don't have the disc.. but even a PC can do this without a disc!!

What's going on with apple lately):

Last edited by a moderator:

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
3) Your mac is stopping you doing that to protect you. Everything will break if you rename that folder! You can change your name in system preferences/accounts, if you really want to change that folder name, create a new account and copy your stuff over.
6) Not all PC's can do that. Companies like dell partition off several GB of your hard drive with a restore area, which basically contains the contents of your disc. It causes major issues if you ever try and install linux on your old dell...

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
What is the ATV doing exactly?
What kind of problems is itunes giving you?
You cannot and do not want to rename that home folder. Where are your restore discs?
What keeps telling you files are duplicates and which files are you copying?
Connection to what?
You need restore discs. Id need my windows disc if I wanted to restore the os as well.

You need to be slightly more specific.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Your best bet is to take it to an Apple store, explain that you got it 2nd hand, don't have the restore discs, and ask them if they can reinstall the OS for you. It sounds like you just need to wipe and start over.

Aatos.1

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2010
1) Companies like dell partition off several GB of your hard drive with a restore area, which basically contains the contents of your disc.
True

2) It causes major issues if you ever try and install linux on your old dell...
False

If one decides to install Linux, it's very easy. Simply wipe the drive & perform a clean install. Most Linux distro's will offer this option.

Me? I have one of my ThinkPad laptops setup in a dual boot configuration. I'm running three partitions. Windows 7, the 2nd partition with the recovery image, the 3rd with Linux.

Should I have a catastrophic crash in Windows, I can still use the recovery partion that came on the computer. If I have a significant crash in Linux I simply restore it using the install disc I burned. Been using this configuration for a long time with great success.

techsrus

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2012
False

If one decides to install Linux, it's very easy. Simply wipe the drive & perform a clean install. Most Linux distro's will offer this option.

Me? I have one of my ThinkPad laptops setup in a dual boot configuration. I'm running three partitions. Windows 7, the 2nd partition with the recovery image, the 3rd with Linux.

Should I have a catastrophic crash in Windows, I can still use the recovery partion that came on the computer. If I have a significant crash in Linux I simply restore it using the install disc I burned. Been using this configuration for a long time with great success.
plus linux is wide open and we can make it do what we want it to do how we want it to do it :)

there is smart and there is iphone smart. apple products dictate what the user does and how. from what i have seen from windows 8, it is pretty much doing the same thing. i love linux <3 so powerful and hassle free

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.