Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
The point is this...the whole I use windows for work is just that...marketing. Most of those saying that arent doing anything that they cant do with a mac. In many cases it can be done better with a mac. Thats the point.

most Citrix client stuff is Windows specific. A lot of internal Enterprise web apps are built for IE. And finally Active Directory and GPO is how we do business computing. Macs dont acknowledge most GPOs.

Ps. Excel for Mac still doesnt do all that Excel for PC does.

Last edited:

dbit

macrumors regular
May 2, 2006
Apple isn't switching to ARM.... it is severely underpowered.

The reason ARM processors are so power efficient is the simplicity of the architecture and the huge tradeoff in raw performance. There is no way ARM will be able to match the power of a very low voltage Intel CPU once Intel really "wakes up".

In the mobile space, ARM is king. But just wait for all the Ultraportable laptops, notebooks etc. and even some tablets having a massive performance increase at relatively similar power envelopes of ARM processors very soon.

Intel has massive resources, and state of the art fabrication facilities.

Agreed. I'm sure Apple is entirely ready to leverage this Intel lineup over the next several years. Everything else is just posturing to appear to be keeping their options open. Intel's blueprint and improvement of the power/performance ratio is entirely inline with Apple's luxury prosumer intentions.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
While I agree with your assessment, I think that a stronger reason that Apple won't go with ARM is the fact that no Apple OSX Intel apps will run on ARM.

Unless, of course, Apple doesn't care about Apple OSX users, and thinks that it can make more money selling IOS laptops to the Iphone users who want a bigger screen with a keyboard.

I'm sure that Cook's bean counters are looking at the profit potential.

Agreed. I'm sure Apple is entirely ready to leverage this Intel lineup over the next several years. Everything else is just posturing to appear to be keeping their options open. Intel's blueprint and improvement of the power/performance ratio is entirely inline with Apple's luxury prosumer intentions.

Exactly, on both accounts.

Whilst one could make an hypertheatical reasoning for a 11" MBA touchscreen, running iOS on a laptop type device (seeing as windows 8 touchscreen laptops are going to be pushed very heavily next year and OSX isn't ready for touch or ARM) so this would allow them to offer a competing product against surface RT. And also allow them to release a 11.6" MBA at a lower price point between the 64GB wifi iPad & the Intel MBA, I don't see it really happening just yet.

There are many iPad users who use keyboard case docks which retail for around $100

So a 64GB MBA Touch with 11.6" screen, onboard 4G/3G, and running iOS for a tasty €819 might just have enough appeal to eventually make it a runner somewhere in the future.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Who uses windows for work? Its not even secure. I know for my job Windows isnt even considered serious for my profession....and if you mean to simply use some word processing, email, spreadsheet, and slide show type software any iPad can do that already....just sayin...

99.99% of the planet uses windows for work, including most government bodies, and fortune 500 companies..

And trust me, i work for "a leading world wide payroll company" in the IT Department and i find it laughable that our "web based" products still don't support browsers other then IE version 7,8 and 9... no chrome, firefox, or even IE 10 and certainly no tablet or phone support)

However none of our "huge" client base, including people like Amazon, Ebay, several banks, and many other "well know multinationals" all run Windows at a corporate level.

My "go to operating system" for anything i want to do is still Amiga OS, i have a beefed up Amiga with PPC chipset and its still a joy to use over anything else thats been along since.

i use my Mac for video conversion and storage of a rather large iTunes library (TV Shows and Movies, currently at 11TB and change stored on a Drobo B800fs)

as for using an iPad for work, nahh, its ok for checking on things, or making last minute revisions, but id never be able to create a document on it that i could call client facing in anywhere near as short a time as i can on a PC.,
Tim Cooks a kook if he thinks people don't prefer a real, mechanical keyboard and mouse over a touch screen for productivity if they are doing anything more than sending a short text or making a single line revision to a document.

damnated

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2012
Will be the contrarian and say I'll never buy another device that isn't retina. My parents bought one of the new 21.5" iMacs for Christmas. Beautiful machine, but that low resolution screen is unviewable to me now.

32707145.jpg

M

Mr.damien

Yep, Apple will never release a device with a Retina display that has a GPU only twice as powerful compared to the previous generation.

I'm, of course, talking about the iPad 3: 4x the resolution (compared to the iPad 2), 2x the GPU power.

I never said Apple won't release it, I just say that if they do with this CPU, it will finish like the iPad 3 and Macbook Pro 13 retina: crap.

----------

99.99% of the planet uses windows for work, including most government bodies, and fortune 500 companies..
99,99%, ten years ago perhaps, not anymore.

I see more and more Mac even on old Pro Microsoft company. Not to say that iPad ARE everywhere and yes, you can do real work with them. Just as you can manage to do real work despite all Windows bugs...

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
Sigh....

Thanks Macrumors for turning this whole discussion into a really unproductive speculation on Arm vs Intel...

Haswell uses a different micro-architecture than Ivy-Bridge/Sandy-Bridge. That is the platform change Digitimes is referring to.

And in the source you link to there is absolutely NO mention of retina displays at all. So I'm not sure where the leap to all laptops will go retina comes from...(you even put it in the title?!)

I like speculation as much as the next person but I would have really appreciated some productive discussion in this post about what might actually happen in 2013 rather than idle speculation about ARM processors and retina-MBAs two things I believe most realistic members of this thread would agree have a very small chance of coming to pass next year.

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
A rMBP is the best device for me, but my dad would prefer a classic MBP with a hard-drive instead of optical drive, so he could have Fusion Drive there. He needs a comfortable amount of storage.

I hope they make that option available.

SellYourMacBook

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2012
I think apple should keep the cMBP (non-retina) with option to upgrade to retina for extra $$$ to satisfy the customers who want (user upgradable components). They will also introduce haswell in this model and better video card since its not as thin as the rMBP.

This way they can satisfy everyone. The MBA will stay how it is without retina because if it had retina it would pretty much be the rMBP and a new cMBP with many options and also include a optional fusion Hard drive like in the new iMacs.

IMHO, the cMBP isn't too thick to keep its current form factor, and as technology improves apple can fit better processor, graphics, hard drive ram etc, without worrying about how thin they can make it.

Just my opinion...

tharitm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
I highly doubt if the entire lineup will go retina as it will hurt the sales of the expensive rMBP. Once the SSD prices go down Apple will slowly discontinue the cMBP's and lower the prices of the rMBP's. It depends on time though.

sandylp

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2004
San Francisco Bay Area
Of course - less than 30 days after I purchased my 2012 MBA, a rumour of Haswell/retina appears! :D

As its likely to see a price bump with retina, glad I purchased when I did though...

Intel's roadmap, Published on Thursday, 09 February 2012 17:24, predicted the new micro-processor, Haswell, in 2013:

Haswell will be Intel's first new microarchitecture since the introduction of Sandy Bridge last year and will be made with 22 nanometer technology, which the company plans to introduce April 8th with Ivy Bridge. It follows Intel's classic Tick-Tock strategy where it launches a new processor family every year,, and a new architecture evey other year. Haswell is a new microarchitecture with a tested manufacturing technology is considered a Tock in the launch schedule. A scheule that has leaked.

Haswell is expected to bring a more powerful graphics circuit and better IPC with the CPU, new instructions and most likely higher clock frequencies than current circuits. Among others the graphics is said to support DirectX 11.1 and OpenCL 1.2, but also triple monitors with stereoscopic 3D. Other news is a new memory controller with support for more efficient DDR3L modules.

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
I think apple should keep the cMBP (non-retina) with option to upgrade to retina for extra $$$ to satisfy the customers who want (user upgradable components). They will also introduce haswell in this model and better video card since its not as thin as the rMBP.

This way they can satisfy everyone. The MBA will stay how it is without retina because if it had retina it would pretty much be the rMBP and a new cMBP with many options and also include a optional fusion Hard drive like in the new iMacs.

IMHO, the cMBP isn't too thick to keep its current form factor, and as technology improves apple can fit better processor, graphics, hard drive ram etc, without worrying about how thin they can make it.

Just my opinion...
I agree with you. It'd be nice to have a cMBP with retina. :)

MadDawg2020

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2012
We have twice a year updates on the entire line of Mac Products EXCEPT the Mac Pro which is now once every 4 years!

----------

I have serious doubts Apple will go 100% retina. Even though Apple has never been a pricefighter, they always aimed for a low-entry point in each product line. For example, the iPod mini/nano/shuffle, the iPad mini, the white MacBook, the 11" MacBook Air, the iPhone 4 (currently), the Mac Mini etc. I doubt they will sacrifice this, especially when there's no need.

Apple gets profit from hardware, not software. Apple is no Amazon, where hardware is sold at a discount to keep content alive, it's the other way around: the software and content is used to sell the hardware.

Umm Apple makes plenty of money all around, or do you forget that they get 30% from every single sale on iTunes, including movies, music and apps!

louis.b

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2012
Sydney
I think it's best for Apple to have remove the optical drive and have the display resolution as an option for consumers to choose. So you will have either macbook pro with retina display or w/out (but please bump up the base resolution) in the same body.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010

And trust me, i work for "a leading world wide payroll company" in the IT Department and i find it laughable that our "web based" products still don't support browsers other then IE version 7,8 and 9... no chrome, firefox, or even IE 10 and certainly no tablet or phone support)

However none of our "huge" client base, including people like Amazon, Ebay, several banks, and many other "well know multinationals" all run Windows at a corporate level.

My "go to operating system" for anything i want to do is still Amiga OS, i have a beefed up Amiga with PPC chipset and its still a joy to use over anything else thats been along since.

i use my Mac for video conversion and storage of a rather large iTunes library (TV Shows and Movies, currently at 11TB and change stored on a Drobo B800fs)

as for using an iPad for work, nahh, its ok for checking on things, or making last minute revisions, but id never be able to create a document on it that i could call client facing in anywhere near as short a time as i can on a PC.,
Tim Cooks a kook if he thinks people don't prefer a real, mechanical keyboard and mouse over a touch screen for productivity if they are doing anything more than sending a short text or making a single line revision to a document.
I also work for a leading company that is far and away more prestigious and well known. BIG Whoop! The point I was making is that everything you can do on a windows machine you can do with an iPad. Thats the bottom line. Your company's technological failures are nothing to boast about....just sayin'.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.