Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ipod_touch_colors-150x167.jpg
Following up on a report last month from Jefferies analyst Peter Misek claiming that the next-generation iPhone could launch in the middle of this year with as many as 6-8 colors, Topeka Capital Markets analyst Brian White has issued a report today indicating similar information. White also believes that Apple could offer the device with multiple screen sizes.
Our checks indicate that the next iPhone will have more choices for customers. This entails an expansion in both the color patterns and screen sizes with the next iPhone (i.e., likely called the iPhone 5S) that we currently believe will be launched in May/June with certain supply production starting in March/April.
White believes that the addition of multiple color choices for the iPod touch late last year was a "testing ground" for Apple and that the company is now moving toward bringing similar option to the iPhone, and eventually to the iPad.

As for screen size, White believes that Apple may for the first time offer a brand-new model with multiple screen size options for different segments of the market.
Although Apple offers a 4-inch screen on the iPhone 5 and a 3.5-inch screen on the iPhone 4S and iPhone 4, the Company has never offered multiple screen sizes for a single model. We believe this is about to change with the next iPhone offering different screen sizes that we believe will allow Apple to better bifurcate the market and expand its reach. This eventually opens up the possibility for a lower-priced iPhone (i.e., iPhone mini) with a smaller screen size that could allow Apple to further penetrate markets such as China and open up opportunities in India. At the same time, Apple could unveil a larger screen size compared to the recently updated 4-inch screen on the iPhone 5.
Discussion of a larger screen size is particularly difficult to believe, given that Apple just transitioned to a taller screen with the iPhone 5, the first time Apple has changed the screen size on the iPhone since its launch.

In considering how Apple might make the iPhone's screen even larger, essentially the same set of issues debated before the launch of the iPhone 5 appears: more pixels or same resolution at lower pixel density. The latter solution in particular likely offers little for Apple, as the company is almost certainly uninterested in lowering pixel density simply to offer the same amount of screen real estate at a slightly larger physical size.

As for the former, Apple increased only the vertical pixel count for the iPhone 5, allowing for a larger screen while still offering full compatibility with apps designed for the smaller screens of previous devices. It seems difficult to believe that Apple would undertake yet another increase in pixel count so soon after the iPhone 5 debut, particularly if it involved increases in both vertical and horizontal directions.

Article Link: Next-Generation iPhone to Launch in More Colors, Multiple Sizes?

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
I wasn't for it before, but I made a few mockups that swayed my position. I would love a blue one. But for those saying "NO", I imagine you'd still be able to get white and black, so what's the problem?

Attachments

• tumblr_metwemodtj1qcpeg3o1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_metwemodtj1qcpeg3o1_1280.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 5,772
  • tumblr_metwemodtj1qcpeg3o2_1280.jpg
    tumblr_metwemodtj1qcpeg3o2_1280.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 5,563
  • tumblr_metwemodtj1qcpeg3o3_1280.jpg
    tumblr_metwemodtj1qcpeg3o3_1280.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 3,745
  • tumblr_metwemodtj1qcpeg3o4_1280.jpg
    tumblr_metwemodtj1qcpeg3o4_1280.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 5,627

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I could actually see them offering 3.5" and 4" side by side... I know several people who got the 4S in the past few months just because they thought the 4" screen on the 5 sounded too big.

There doesn't seem to be much point putting out iPhones in multiple colors since so many people put cases on them.

A lot of people (girls, anyways) just get the cases for the colors, from what I can tell.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
This is exciting news. My mum has a 4S and she keeps saying to me "Why can't I have a pink iPhone? Or even a pink flip case like the iPad?". Apple is getting good at re-marketing iPods and iPads etc. as fashion items. The colourful iPod Touches and shuffles and stuff make the iPod a fashion item. And I think iPhone should follow this trend. I'd love a red iPhone! That'd be great! My birthday is in May so I won't have to wait until October for the next iPhone!

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
If Apple just introduced a Black & Silver iPhone, I would be happy. For some reason (and many disagree with me) if you put the iPhone 4 next to an iPhone 5, the iPhone 4 looks like the premium device with its stainless steel.

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
I wasn't for it before, but I made a few mockups that swayed my position. I would love a blue one. But for those saying "NO", I imagine you'd still be able to get white and black, so what's the problem?

Nice mockups! I could go for a few of them actually :cool:

ndpitch

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2010
The only screen sizes we will see for a very long time are 4 inches, or 3.5 inches. I'm thinking the iPhone 5S will be just what everyone thinks it will be. A fast iPhone 5 with some improved features.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010

Pretty, but they don't look like they're worth $699. Apple need their phones to look expensive.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
I just don't get the draw of having multiple iPhone colors. Black and white work just fine. If you want more color just put a nice skin on it which you can then change as much as you want!

Besides that it creates a nightmare for inventory control. Just too many SKUs... 3 Memory options x 4 Carrier options x ?? Colors x ?? screen sizes???

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
The screen will be 4" for a LONG time to come. Possibly forever.

Yeah, I can't see them going any bigger than 4" in the near future. The adverts were pretty adamant that Apple had found the perfect size and they were a clear dig at companies such as Samsung releasing phones in ridiculous sizes.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Pretty, but they don't look like they're worth $699. Apple need their phones to look expensive.

If done right, these coloured iPhones will still look smart and classy. I'd say they should go for darker colours. Like, instead of red go for burgundy. Looks slightly classier.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
The screen will be 4" for a LONG time to come. Possibly forever.

This analyst predicts a 27 inch foldable.

Isn't that technology almost there?

Also, with IOS 19.3 there is an app that switches the outer shell to any color people want.

sza

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2010
i am more interested in seeing the iphone with larger screen coming out.

Moorepheus

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
Niagara Falls, NY
I like the choice of additional colors. Thanks for the mock ups

However, there is no way I am upgrading again when the 5s comes out, I just got my 5 at launch. What is it worth to me to upgrade???

Better Display. I think the current screen is awesome....how much more you going to cram into a 4" display that I will be able to see at normal vision, but you will show me a 100X mag view of it and show me how what was once the best display (retina) is not better because it has twice the amount of pixels as before. Sorry to say, but 4" is still 4" no matter how many pixel you cram into it

Better Camera. Really, unless you give me Optical Zoom, 8MB is pretty damn good for a Phone camera. The phone already does 1080p HD record at 30FPS w/ audio.

NFC Support, if it does come, don't use it now and really doesn't affect my life without it.

128GB <- Now, if I could this for the amount i paid for my 64GB iPhone 5, this might be worth it

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.